Ampersand in button bar names shows in tooltip

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Ampersand in button bar names shows in tooltip

Post by *funkymonk »

Two things:

First,
when an ampersand ("&") is used to define a speed key in a button name (e.g., "&open") ...
  • the "o" is underlined (as expected) when the button belongs to a bar file that is shown as a menu below the main button bar;
  • the "&" itself shows up right in front of the "o" in the tooltip of buttons that are part of the main button bar. (bug?)
Second,
once a bar file is shown as menu, the speed keys for the buttons within work as expected.
But: If the main button bar is activated via cm_FocusButtonBar, the speed keys of the buttons in the main button bar do not work. (bug?)

Since I use TC mainly with the keyboard, I would highly appreciate if the speed buttons would show properly and work in the tooltip of the buttons in the main button bar.
(Maybe the speed keys could even be shown below all buttons once the button bar has the focus ...)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ampersand in button bar names shows in tooltip

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

First: Officially hotkeys are not supported in button bar descriptions. I'm surprised myself that they work. TC shows them as any other character in the tooltip, e.g. "Documents A & B".

Second: As I wrote, they are not officially supported.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Well, I'm glad that they *do* work when a bar file is opened as a menu. Please don't change that.

"Officially supported"... well, ok, maybe some "unofficial support"?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that when I hide the ampersands from the tooltips now, then other people will complain that their tips are no longer what they set them to...
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sure, this might cause confusion.

On the other hand, "&" also does not show up when used in a bar file that is opened as a menu:

When you open such a menu by keyboard, the & is removed and the next char is underlined (speed key).
When you open such a menu by mouse, the & is also not there (and nothing is underlined but the speed key still works when pressed).

Thus: Maybe the "&" can still be used with not so many people bothering -- or a speed key could be defined in another way?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most people don't use bar files as a menu. Therefore I will better leave it as it is now.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sure, that's probably the best option for now. Thank you.