(issue disappeared) RC4 can't launch two browsers from toolbar

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lczlcz

(issue disappeared) RC4 can't launch two browsers from toolbar

Post by *lczlcz »

RC4 can't launch two browsers from toolbar

Just installed 10.5 RC4, overwriting the original V10, I always put many programs on TC toolbar and launch them there.
After installation, I can't launch two browsers from the toolbar.
One is a portable Brave, it says "command failed". Another one is Vivaldi, it shows a flash of the whole program and it closed itself.
If I use V10 to overwrite RC4, no problem to launch the two browsers. If I drag shortcuts of these two browsers to desktop and launch them, no problem either.

Strange that I have a firefox on the toolbar but have no problem launching it.

The length of the path is pretty short: d:\tools\brave-portable\brave-portable.exe

issue disappeared
lczlcz wrote: 2022-07-11, 15:12 UTC Just an update that the issue disappeared. I reinstalled version 10.5 this morning and no issue now. don't remember what I did. A windows update maybe?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RC4 can't launch two browsers from toolbar

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You are probably running Total Commander as Administrator (with elevated rights). When you run a program from this, it will inherit the higher user rights. Some programs cannot be launched as Adminstrator. Can you confirm that?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

I was suspecting that that is the issue as I log in as an administrator role but don't know how to confirm that. this issue somehow disappears after a while of use. That's why I didn't come back and check.

But today I just installed the 10.5 formal version, same issue came up again. Reinstalled version 10 solved the issue. But then I installed 10.5 (overwrite) again and the same issue came up again. But if I right click that Brave portable icon and select "As Administrator", there is no issue. Same for Vivaldi.
this is so strange. Is there a way to run total commander as a non administrator?

Let me use it for a while and it might disappear.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Is there a way to run total commander as a non administrator?
How do you currently start your Total Commander? If you start it from a lnk file on your desktop, then right-click on the lnk icon - choose "Properties" - then click on the "Shortcut" tab and then on the Advanced button and finally remove the checkmark in "Run as administrator" - this is the default setting.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

I pinned it on the taskbar. I just looked at the properties of the pinned icon, the "Run as administrator" selection is un-checked.
petermad wrote: 2022-07-06, 16:06 UTC
Is there a way to run total commander as a non administrator?
How do you currently start your Total Commander? If you start it from a lnk file on your desktop, then right-click on the lnk icon - choose "Properties" - then click on the "Shortcut" tab and then on the Advanced button and finally remove the checkmark in "Run as administrator" - this is the default setting.
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

I found another strange thing: I just installed RC4 over the version 10.5 and the browsers launch is fine. this is so weird. Then I installed 10.5 over it and can't launch the browser.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2lczlcz
I pinned it on the taskbar. I just looked at the properties of the pinned icon, the "Run as administrator" selection is un-checked.
Then you are running TC not as administrator - if TC is running as administrator TC's Title bar will show your Windows user name followed by a ^.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

you are right. actually I just launched TC as an administrator and I see the "^". Then I launched the browser with no problem except IDM is complaining that it can't download because the browser is run as administrator.

I'll let it sit for a while. Maybe it will be just like RC4, issue disappears after a while.
petermad wrote: 2022-07-06, 18:44 UTC 2lczlcz
Then you are running TC not as administrator - if TC is running as administrator TC's Title bar will show your Windows user name followed by a ^.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It must have some other reasons, e.g. the directory where the program is launched in.
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

I moved brave portable from D:\Tools\brave-portable\ to C:\brave-portable\ and still the same issue.
I'll leave as it is now. Not a big deal anyway.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, what I meant is the start path, not the directory where the browser is located. When you run a program via right click "As Administrator" the start path is set to the system32 directory by Windows. Otherwise it's set the the current directory of the calling program.

Please try this:
1. Add the brave browser to the Total Commander toolbar, e.g. via drag&drop to an empty space
2. Right click on the button and choose "Change"
3. Set the "Start path" field to c:\windows\system32
4. Now try to launch it again
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

I tried this and still not working.
I did find something else though. If I launch totalcmd.exe instead of totalcmd64.exe. I can launch the browsers on the toolbar fine.

Anyway, I have been having total commander at the same folder for very long time. I will create a new folder for a brand new installation of total commander and see whether that works.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-07-07, 06:25 UTC No, what I meant is the start path, not the directory where the browser is located. When you run a program via right click "As Administrator" the start path is set to the system32 directory by Windows. Otherwise it's set the the current directory of the calling program.

Please try this:
1. Add the brave browser to the Total Commander toolbar, e.g. via drag&drop to an empty space
2. Right click on the button and choose "Change"
3. Set the "Start path" field to c:\windows\system32
4. Now try to launch it again
lczlcz

Post by *lczlcz »

Just an update that the issue disappeared. I reinstalled version 10.5 this morning and no issue now. don't remember what I did. A windows update maybe?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

lczlcz wrote: 2022-07-11, 15:12 UTC Just an update that the issue disappeared. I reinstalled version 10.5 this morning and no issue now. don't remember what I did. A windows update maybe?
... or maybe this ...
Total Commander 10.50 silent update released! -> 7.7.2022
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (issue disappeared) RC4 can't launch two browsers from toolbar

No, the silent update only changed the search with "Everything" and nothing else.