Configuration > redesigned Edit/View page > issues with Associate dialog box

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Configuration > redesigned Edit/View page > issues with Associate dialog box

Post by *solid »

I've looked into the redesigned Edit/View page in configuration and noticed some issues with 'associate' dialog box under the 'Association' button for External viewer.

This dialog box has no option to edit or delete already defined associations.
Furthermore, the help button opens the 'Dialog box: Associate' help page that mentions 'Edit type' button and 'Replace with: PhotoViewer.dll' checkbox. This help page is for the general filetype association (cm_associate) box, not the external viewer associations.

This just makes all those internal/external/multimedia viewers associations even more confusing.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Associate dialog box

Post by *petermad »

2solid
You can just write the extension in the field in the upper right corner, and write the associated program in the "Associate with" field.

If you want to delete an association you just select the extension from the list and set the association to (none).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Associate dialog box

Post by *solid »

2petermad
I know that, but that just un-associate the extension and program.

There is no way from the dialog box to delete or edit the path to the program (help says that there is)
There is no way to delete an extension from the extension field.

Those are possible only by editing wincmd.ini. But nowhere is mentioned what to look for in the .ini (It is the [Extensions] category)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Configuration > redesigned Edit/View page > issues with Associate dialog box

Post by *petermad »

There is no way from the dialog box to delete or edit the path to the program
Just click on the extension, you wnat to edit, in the upper right dropdown box - the associated program is now shown in the "Associate with" fild, where you can edit the path.

There is no way to delete an extension from the extension field.
Just click on the extension, you want to delete, in the upper right dropdown box - and then choose (none) in the list of associated programs.

Furthermore, the help button opens the 'Dialog box: Associate' help page that mentions 'Edit type' button and 'Replace with: PhotoViewer.dll' checkbox.
I agree that there should be a line in the help saying that "Edit type" and "Replace with: PhotoViewer.dll" is not applicable for Viewer Associations.
"New" in the Help should be "New type".

I have filed a bug report about the latter: viewtopic.php?t=77123
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Configuration > redesigned Edit/View page > issues with Associate dialog box

Post by *solid »

petermad wrote: 2022-07-01, 18:13 UTC Just click on the extension, you wnat to edit, in the upper right dropdown box - the associated program is now shown in the "Associate with" fild, where you can edit the path.

Just click on the extension, you want to delete, in the upper right dropdown box - and then choose (none) in the list of associated programs.
Actually, I have to press OK to confirm the changes and that closes the dialog box. Then have to open it again to actually see the changes.

I must admit, this is totally counter-intuitive and not consistent with other configuration dialogs.

Thx for your time and willingness to help, I wouldn't figure it out this by myself. I actually gave up in meanwhile and edited the .ini manually.