Help | Check for updates now broken?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

Help | Check for updates now broken?

Post by *DRP535 »

For how long has the Help | Check for updates now option been broken? I've only just found out today that there's a new 10.5 version of TC available. Missed all the betas and all the RC releases because everytime I would periodically check the Help | Check for updates now option, it would always report back that I had the latest version 10.00.

Clearly this option is completely broken and not worth relying on to know about new versions. I also have received no notifications by e-mail of a new version, so was this v10.50 a hidden thing?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help | Check for updates now broken?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not broken. Due to the severe search bug with "Everything" found shortly after the release, I didn't yet let the release versions show the update. They will see it from now on.
Missed all the betas and all the RC releases
Betas and RC releases are not reported by default, you have to opt in. Regular users should not be bothered with beta versions.

To enable beta notifications, you need to open the wincmd.ini via Configuration - Change settings files directly. Then, in section [Configuration], you need to:
1. Change AutoUpdateCheck to 1
and
2. Add AutoUpdateCheckBeta and set it to 1
It should look like this:
[Configuration]
AutoUpdateCheck=1
AutoUpdateCheckBeta=1

If you don't set AutoUpdateCheckBeta=1, you will only get beta version notifications during a beta test, not when using a release version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

I have always had AutoUpdateCheck=1 in wincmd.ini and never received any update notices for anything in v10.00 not even after the final v10.50 had been released. Never had AutoUpdateCheckBeta=1 set before. Didn't know that was a requirement. When did that switch become a thing?

These are the actual instructions copy/pasted from https://www.ghisler.com/news.htm

Code: Select all

Important note:

If you activate automatic update checks while using a pre-release version (beta version) of Total Commander, you will be informed also about updates to newer beta versions. Otherwise you will be informed only about release versions.

Alternatively, you can activate update notifications also manually. Please add the following string to the file wincmd.ini, section [Configuration]:
AutoUpdateCheck=2
or.
AutoUpdateCheck=1
if you want to be informed about beta versions too.

You can edit the wincmd.ini via Configuration - Change settings files directly.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks, I have updated this page. It was already changed in 2017:
13.11.17 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] AutoUpdateCheckBeta=1: If set together with AutoUpdateCheck=1, new beta versions will be reported even when using a final version (32/64)
The reason is that AutoUpdateCheck=1 was set automatically when a user enabled automatic version checks while using a pre-release version. With the change, the user gets informed about all beta versions until he installs a final, then he only gets informed about final versions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Confirmed it now works again with new switches in ini files. I'm getting the update advices for the latest RC releases