"Search archives" inconsistency

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mmm

Re: "Search archives" inconsistency

Post by *mmm »

Nope.
I do not seem to have done a good job here.
My bad.

The essence of my proposal is to replace the existing Checkbox with a Radio switch so that users know what function is actually implemented behind.
The third option /i.e. ignore archives/ would only be nice-to-have.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mmm,
OK, and the radio button names would be?

Code: Select all

(o) Search archives as binary files
( ) Search archives as folders containing files
:?:

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Well, I was hoping that you will open this discussion with your muscle comrades.

Anyway, below you can find my two cents:
(o) Search archives as binary files
Search files contents
// Still needs polishing I think
( ) Search archives as folders containing files
//Frankly, I know next to nothing about this feature.
//On assumption that in this work mode you investigate file paths only I would recommend
// to use Microsoft nomenclature from here:
// https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/io/file-path-formats
//

On a side note:
It just came to me that some users might be willing to search everything, perhaps; i.e. both paths and files contents.
However, I feel like two separate work modes might be considered a good balance between clarity and complexity.

Third option
Ignore archives
// Although I find this option beneficial for reasons described earlier in this thread I cannot speak for other users. Just a though.

It is essential the Radio button and relevant captions be discussed with qualified individuals.
No hasty decision, please!

Thanks,
mmm
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

mmm,
Well, I was hoping that you will open this discussion with your muscle comrades.
[...]
It is essential the Radio button and relevant captions be discussed with qualified individuals.
No hasty decision, please!
I am sorry, but as long as nobody understands what you think is wrong with the current implementation, it is difficult to discuss anything.

Also, me and my muscle comrades are all just regular users here. Me being a moderator means I get to delete spam, ban spammers, and move misplaced threads to appropriate forums, nothing more. The only person who decides if anything gets implemented is Christian Ghisler, the author and sole programmer of Total Commander.

From the years of my experience of what gets implemented and what does not, I can say that suggestions presented as clear concepts, e.g. "please change this to that", even better if supported by screenshots or illustrations, clearly showing the benefit to users, have a higher chance of getting implemented, especially if other users express their support for such a change.

During this whole thread, I personally (and I am irrelevant in regard to what gets implemented and what does not) have not been able to understand what the issue you seem to be facing is. I tried to read and understand several times but you said all my guesses have been wrong. Please understand, you are the only one who can explain what issue you are facing and what change you would like to get implemented. Noone else can see inside your head and do it for you, I am sorry.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Hacker,
I hear you. My bad.

I have no more questions the the moment.

mmm
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Dalai wrote:
As you probably know by now, you can consider the "Search in archives" checkbox as either
"Search in archives" as long as "Find text" is unchecked, or
"Search in files inside archives" if "Find text" is enabled
If you have a suggestion on how to make this feasible in TC's GUI, feel free to post it.
Here it is:
Replace the weird checkbox with a Radio-button function switch.
Self-explaining captions to be designed by those who have a full picture of what is actually implemented.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

mmm wrote: 2022-08-12, 07:37 UTCReplace the weird checkbox with a Radio-button function switch.
Self-explaining captions to be designed by those who have a full picture of what is actually implemented.
And how should that radio button behave?

In my opinion: If both options of this radio button are always selectable, it's bound to get even more confusing. It doesn't make much sense to be able to select "Search in files inside archives" when "Find text" isn't selected.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Dalai,
If a Radio button cannot be used as a direct replacement to avoid confusion and improve clarity then I conclude I know next to nothing about current search functionality.

From my standpoint TC delivers false positive results when the checkbox is unticked. Not sure what I am missing.

Christian Ghisler,
Would you do me a favor and cast some light on the search mode?
Do you see leeway to improve existing GUI?

Many thanks,
mmm