FTP abort with a request for a password (FTP Abbruch mit Frage nach Passwort)

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: FTP abort with a request for a password (FTP Abbruch mit Frage nach Passwort)

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
I have tested the 3 scenarios:
1. Do not clear the password if it's stored in the ini without master password
2. Clear it if it's stored with master password, ask for master password when trying to reconnect
3. Clear it if it was entered manually (not stored)
With KeepMasterPassword=0 in wcx_ftp.ini I can confirm the behaviour as described.
With KeepMasterPassword=3 in wcx_ftp.ini in scenario 2 I do not get asked for password, TC just reconnects.

To test: I open a connection, minimize TC, and wait until I can espect the connection to be dropped - then maximize TC again and try to navigate into a directory or open a file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FTP abort with a request for a password (FTP Abbruch mit Frage nach Passwort)

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

With KeepMasterPassword=3 in wcx_ftp.ini in scenario 2 I do not get asked for password, TC just reconnects.
Yes, this is intentional, also for the other two cases!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-15, 15:18 UTC
Yes, this is intentional, also for the other two cases!
Which makes the term KeepMasterPassword somewhat confusing since the parameter also has effect on connections without a master password.

BTW, when testing this I noticed that in order to remove master password protection for a connection, I need to have opened a connection using the master password first. Is that necessary? Couldn't the user just be asked for the master password, when he/she clicks on the checkbox to disable it - just af when the button "Change password..." is clicked?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can click on "Change password" and then on Abort, then you can uncheck the option to use the master password. This is done so you don't accidentally uncheck it.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can click on "Change password" and then on Abort, then you can uncheck the option to use the master password.
Not easy to know.
This is done so you don't accidentally uncheck it.
Fair enough.

Maybe the help could be changed from:
Change password
This button is shown when the password is protected with a master password, and the master password hasn't been entered yet.
to:
Change password
This button is shown when the password is protected with a master password, and the master password hasn't been entered yet. Click on this button and then Abort to make it possible to uncheck the option to use the master password.
Last edited by petermad on 2022-08-17, 10:55 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good idea, I will add that to the help.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm the change of the Help in TC 10.51rc2:
Help wrote:Change password
This button is shown when the password is protected with a master password, and the master password hasn't been entered yet. Click on this button and then Abort to make it posible to uncheck the option to use the master password
But unfortunately, the misspelling of "possible" from my previous post (sorry for that) found it's way into the Help too.
License #524 (1994)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-16, 10:56 UTC You can click on "Change password" and then on Abort, then you can uncheck the option to use the master password. This is done so you don't accidentally uncheck it.
But if the master password is in memory, accidental change is not prevented. Is this a bug?
petermad wrote: 2022-08-17, 11:34 UTC I can confirm the change of the Help in TC 10.51rc2:
Help wrote:Change password
This button is shown when the password is protected with a master password, and the master password hasn't been entered yet. Click on this button and then Abort to make it posible to uncheck the option to use the master password
But unfortunately, the misspelling of "possible" from my previous post (sorry for that) found it's way into the Help too.
I wonder if it would be better to add the explanation to the help for the "Use master password to protect the password" option.

For example change:
Use master password to protect the password
Allows you to protect the password with a master password. This is useful because you have to remember just one password, and your passwords are protected with the strong AES256 encryption. Make sure to use a long enough master password containing both upper-, lowercase characters, numbers and punctuation. The estimated strength of the used password is also shown. Please note that this doesn't check for any existing words - if you use an existing word from a dictionary, the strength is MUCH lower!
Into:
Allows you to protect the password with a master password. This is useful because you have to remember just one password, and your passwords are protected with the strong AES256 encryption. Make sure to use a long enough master password containing both upper-, lowercase characters, numbers and punctuation. The estimated strength of the used password is also shown. Please note that this doesn't check for any existing words - if you use an existing word from a dictionary, the strength is MUCH lower!
If this option was previously enabled, the checkbox is disabled to prevent accidental removal of the protection with the master password. There are 2 ways in which you can still remove this protection. If you click the "Change password" button and then Abort, the checkbox for this option will be enabled so you can remove the protection. Or you can click OK or Cancel to close the dialog and then use the Encrypt button in the main FTP Connect dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

But if the master password is in memory, accidental change is not prevented. Is this a bug?
No, because the password is available then and will be stored (although not encrypted) when you click OK. You can re-apply the master password easily.
But when you could uncheck it directly, you would lose the password when you then clicked on OK.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-19, 08:13 UTC
No, because the password is available then and will be stored (although not encrypted) when you click OK. You can re-apply the master password easily.
But when you could uncheck it directly, you would lose the password when you then clicked on OK.
I see. What do you think about explaining it in the help this way:
If you want to remove the protection with master password, the checkbox might be grayed out so you can't change it. Then there are 3 ways in which you can still remove the protection with master password.
1. Click the "Change password" button and enter the master password. The checkbox will no longer be grayed out, so you can change it.
2. Click the "Change password" button and then click Abort. The checkbox will no longer be grayed out, but if you uncheck it, you will have to enter the password for the connection. If you click OK without entering the password, your password will be lost.
3. Click OK or Cancel to close the dialog, then click the Encrypt button in the main FTP Connect dialog and then click the Remove Encryption button.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, how about
If you want to remove the protection with master password, the checkbox will be grayed out when you didn't enter the master password yet, so you can't uncheck it.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Works for me :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

On second thought, it's a bit too complex. How about this:

The option is grayed out when you haven't yet entered the master password. Then there are 3 ways in which you can still remove the protection with the master password:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If you want to remove the protection with master password, the checkbox will be grayed out when you didn't enter the master password yet, so you can't uncheck it.

I think maybe: "The checkbox for protection with password will be grayed out, if you haven't entered the master password yet - so you can't uncheck it."

At lest use "haven't" in stead of "didn't" - I think that is better English.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-08-21, 10:57 UTC On second thought, it's a bit too complex. How about this:

The option is grayed out when you haven't yet entered the master password. Then there are 3 ways in which you can still remove the protection with the master password:
That sounds good.
License #524 (1994)