MP3-view opens textview.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TCManUser

MP3-view opens textview.

Post by *TCManUser »

TC v10.50 does not play certain tagged MP3-files.
MP3-files then open in text-view-mode.
When removing the tags the MP3 the file opens with the mediaplayer (I did not investigate further).
I checked with version 10.00 and the "faulty" MP3's open (containing tags) with the mediaplayer.
I checked on two PC's.
(I can send you the MP3's, just send me a mail).

(Just have to say: Thank you for a great piece of software!)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: MP3-view opens textview.

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Here the player is used for mp3 extensions regardless of tagged or not.
Can you add a link to such an file ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
TCManUser

Post by *TCManUser »

I have music stored locally, not running a web-server or anything, so cannot add a link.
Looks like It affects just "cetain" tagged MP3's (not all).
I Just noticed when opening random MP3's (two actually).
TCManUser

Post by *TCManUser »

Some more information:
Only an issue with 64-bit version. 32-bit version opens MP3 with mediaplayer.
Furthermore:
I removed the "text-tagges" (artist, album etc.): result was negative (still text-view)
Then I removed the whole tag, which (I think) only contained a 942x938 527KB JPEG, the file opened with the media-player.
(not sure what more information is contained in a tag).
siealex

Post by *siealex »

This is a VERY old bug, noted at least in 7.50. And it certainly affects the 32-bit version unless files are played with a 3rd party plugin like AmpView.
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2TCManUser
I would appreciate a sample mp3 file with this problem. I only need the start of the file containing the _entire_ tag plus a few kbytes of the music to check whether it plays or not. The actual player was not changed between 10.00 and 10.50, so reading the tags should not prevent the playback.

It's possible that you don't have the same codecs installed for 32-bit and 64-bit. For example, if you have th LAV filters installed in 32-bit, they can play much more file types than just the directshow filters included in Windows.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TCManUser

Post by *TCManUser »

I made a mistake, v10.00 64-bit has the same problem, apparently I only tested 32-bit-version, sorry..
I have created a sample MP3 with the issue (just an intro 750KB, I copy-pasted the tag).
https://we.tl/t-rVVbAEgiZ5
My PC's are quite standard, but it could be that installing some audio-software also installed codecs, I don't know, but the file plays in standard Windows Mediaplayer 64-bit.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, I can play https://we.tl/t-rVVbAEgiZ5 both with the mmedia plugin (v. 2.62) and with TC's build-in player.
Tested with TC 10.50 32bit and 64bit under Windows 7 and 10 - and I do not have any additional codec packs installed on either system.

Could you provide a sample of your mmedia.ini file?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2TCManUser
Please download the free tool "graph studio next" both in 32-bit and 64-bit and drag your mp3 file to it:
https://github.com/cplussharp/graph-studio-next/releases

This will show you which codecs are used in 32-bit, and may give you a hint why it fails in 64-bit.
The player in Lister loads a file similarly to "graph studio next", it just loads LAV filters internally if they are in the filters subdir.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TCManUser

Post by *TCManUser »

The only mmedia.ini I could find was in the plugin-dir:
plugins\wlx\mMedia (with mmedia.wlx which is now build-in?):
https://we.tl/t-RXZNwo6qmW
I installed a "clean" TC-v.10.50, with setting: ini-files in the install-dir, started the player (same issue) but could not find a mMedia.ini in the install-map or in AppData\Roaming\..
Interresting, the GraphStudionext Output:
32-Bit:
faulty-MP3-file => Nero Splitter => Nero Audio Decoder 2 => Default DirectSound Device.
64-Bit:
Faulty-Mp3-file => nothing
64-Bit:
Playable-MP3-File => MPEG-I Stream Splitter => MP3 Decoder DMO => Default DirectSound Device

Because I wrongly thought it was a v10.50-issue-only, I felt I had to report it.
Turns out to be a kind of a "personal" issue: (find and install the right codec).
I thank everyone for the support and time spent, If there's a fast tip to solve, then please.. but it seems that it is not a bug.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2TCManUser
I don't know if it matters, but your ini file has some spaces that I don't see in mine.

Try and change:

Code: Select all

[ext]
MMEXT = mpe,mpg,m1v,mpeg,asf,asx,wma,wmv,avi,aiff,wav,au,snd,aifc,rmi,midi,mid,cda,wvx,wax,vob,ifo,dat
MP3EXT = mp2,mp3,m3u,ogg,pls

[Options]
autostart =1
infopresencewmp =1
to:

Code: Select all

[ext]
MMEXT=mpe,mpg,m1v,mpeg,asf,asx,wma,wmv,avi,aiff,wav,au,snd,aifc,rmi,midi,mid,cda,wvx,wax,vob,ifo,dat
MP3EXT=mp2,mp3,m3u,ogg,pls

[Options]
autostart=1
infopresencewmp=1
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
TCManUser

Post by *TCManUser »

@petermad
I removed the spaces in the mMedia.ini file, but that did not solve the problem (that is not a problem anymore).

I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack.
On installation it reported a lot of "DirectShow-(and other)-Filter-Broken"-issues and "RegistryKeys links to non-existing-files". It seems like, at some point, media-software was Installed/UnInstalled that left some rubbish.
It solved the problem!
Now GraphStudionext Output:
64-Bit:
Faulty-Mp3-file => LAV Splitter => MP3 Decoder DMO => Default DirectSound Device
I think this topic can be closed, still, a bit strange that the issue exists(ed) on different PC's.
Again, Thank you all very much for the support. (next time I'll check and doublecheck some more before posting a "bug").