[TC10.51] One Separate tree/Same folder left and right/cm_SyncChangeDir/Ctrl+PgUp

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[TC10.51] One Separate tree/Same folder left and right/cm_SyncChangeDir/Ctrl+PgUp

Post by *white »

• Enable one Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8, repeat if necessary)
  • Show the same folder in left and right panel (cm_MatchSrc)
  • Enable Synchronized folder changing (cm_SyncChangeDir)
If you enter a folder (double-click or use the Enter key), the Separate Tree display is correct.
If you go up a folder by double-clicking or pressing Enter on the ".." entry in the file panel, the Separate Tree display is correct.
If you go up a folder by pressing Ctrl+PgUp, the Separate Tree display is not correct. The wrong folder is marked/highlighted.

Similarly, if you press the \ or .. button above the file panel, the Separate Tree display is not correct.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC10.51] One Separate tree/Same folder left and right/cm_SyncChangeDir/Ctrl+PgUp

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC10.51] One Separate tree/Same folder left and right/cm_SyncChangeDir/Ctrl+PgUp

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Not confirmed
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I noticed it doesn't happen all the time. It could be a timing issue.

Video showing the behavior: gif
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I think it happens after this change in TC10.51rc2:
HISTORY.TXT wrote: 12.08.22 Fixed: When clicking on ".." above the inactive (target) panel, activate the panel first before changing directories, otherwise the last used directory of that drive isn't remembered (32/64)
And even more after this change in TC10.51rc3:
HISTORY.TXT wrote: 19.08.22 Fixed: When clicking on "\" above the inactive (target) panel, activate the panel first before changing directories, otherwise the last used directory of that drive isn't remembered (32/64)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I cannot confirm this. But I can on the other hand experience this:
  • Enable one Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8, repeat if necessary)
  • Show the same folder in left and right panel (cm_MatchSrc)
  • Enable Synchronized folder changing (cm_SyncChangeDir)
if I go into a subfolder and then use Alt+LeftArrow to go back in history, then the oppostite panel is not synchronized, but the Synchronized folder changing is still active, so going updir (backspace) will still change both panels, but out of synch.
The same thing happens if i use the Separate tree to change the folder of the active panel - only the folder of the active panel is changed, but the Synchronized folder changing is still active.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

if I go into a subfolder and then use Alt+LeftArrow to go back in history, then the oppostite panel is not synchronized, but the Synchronized folder changing is still active, so going updir (backspace) will still change both panels, but out of synch.
This is not a bug. Only going up or down uses the cm_SyncChangeDir function. Other functions like changing drives, picking a directory (or two) from directory hotlist etc. do not sync.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Other functions like changing drives, picking a directory (or two) from directory hotlist etc. do not sync.
Fair enough, but shouldn't the syncronization then be cancelled - instead of continuing changing both panels but now out of sync, when you again go up.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2ghisler(Author)
Have you found the cause of the issue I reported?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair enough, but shouldn't the syncronization then be cancelled
Not necessarily. For example, I use sync change dir to upload files to ghisler.com. Sometimes I want to return to the base directory, which I do via an entry in the directory hotlist/bookmarks (Ctrl+D). It stores both directories. When I do this, I want to keep the sync change dir function active.

2white
I can reproduce it - however, it only seems to happen when both panels show the exact same directory. When you do a real application of the function with two different locations, it doesn't happen (at least in my tests).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Not necessarily. For example, I use sync change dir to upload files to ghisler.com. Sometimes I want to return to the base directory, which I do via an entry in the directory hotlist/bookmarks (Ctrl+D). It stores both directories. When I do this, I want to keep the sync change dir function active.
Makes sence in this situation where you use a function that changes both panels, but in the two examples I gave it makes no sence.
License #524 (1994)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-09-06, 15:39 UTC I can reproduce it - however, it only seems to happen when both panels show the exact same directory.
That is what the bug report says..
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-09-06, 15:39 UTC When you do a real application of the function with two different locations, it doesn't happen (at least in my tests).
1) Why is this not a real application of the function? I can be very convenient to have the same folder left and right and work on different files in left and right panel.
2) Why does it work when you double-click or press Enter on the ".." entry in a file panel, but not when you use Ctrl+PgUp or the ".." button?
3) Shouldn't the separate tree always mark the correct folder as current folder, regardless of the situation?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Tested OK using TC10.52rc1 except when using cm_GoToRoot (command, button or keyboard shortcut).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I see no difference in TC 10.51 and TC 10.52rc1 regarding these:
Enable one Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8, repeat if necessary)
Show the same folder in left and right panel (cm_MatchSrc)
Enable Synchronized folder changing (cm_SyncChangeDir)

If you enter a folder (double-click or use the Enter key), the Separate Tree display is correct.
If you go up a folder by double-clicking or pressing Enter on the ".." entry in the file panel, the Separate Tree display is correct.
If you go up a folder by pressing Ctrl+PgUp, the Separate Tree display is not correct. The wrong folder is marked/highlighted.

Similarly, if you press the \ or .. button above the file panel, the Separate Tree display is not correct.
Enable one Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8, repeat if necessary)
Show the same folder in left and right panel (cm_MatchSrc)
Enable Synchronized folder changing (cm_SyncChangeDir)

The same thing happens if i use the Separate tree to change the folder of the active panel - only the folder of the active panel is changed, but the Synchronized folder changing is still active.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2petermad
I don't plan to change these two, sorry. There are many more cases where you can change directory on one side only and the function remains active, e.g. when using "go back". I don't consider them to be bugs.