[TC 10.51 64 bit] blake3 file pop-up

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TheOwner

[TC 10.51 64 bit] blake3 file pop-up

Post by *TheOwner »

Hello,
sometimes when I double click in TC 10.51 on blake3 file, pop-up appear "Select only SFV, MD5 or SHA" (I use Czech language in TC, so I translated it to english here). This not happen always, sometimes it work normally and TC check checksum of file and sometimes that pop-up appear instead.

TC 10.51 64bit
Windows 7
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC 10.51 64 bit] blake3 file pop-up

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please send me such a file (just the checksum file) by e-mail, so I can check it. Do you know which program created it?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TheOwner

Post by *TheOwner »

Steps to reproduce:
Create checksum file of any file in TC using BLAKE3, for example I create checksum for testfile.zip
Now when you keep double clicking testfile.blake3, everytime you got CRC results.

But when you modify testfile.zip, which causes different checksum and you doubleclick already created testfile.blake3 file, then CRC error appear, which is okay, but sometimes double click shows no CRC error, instead "Select only SFV, MD5 or SHA" appear. Try it more times, because first doubleclick usually shows CRC error which is correct behaviour.

BTW I just found, this is not only happen for blake3, but also for other checksum files (sfv, md5, sha...) if you multiple times check file with wrong checksum.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

TheOwner,
when you modify testfile.zip, which causes different checksum and you doubleclick already created testfile.blake3 file, then CRC error appear, which is okay, but sometimes double click shows no CRC error, instead "Select only SFV, MD5 or SHA" appear.
After the CRC error appears, testfile.zip is selected. When you then double click testfile.blake3 (while testfile.zip is selected), "Please select only SFV, MD5 or SHA files!" appears.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
TheOwner

Post by *TheOwner »

Hacker wrote: 2022-09-06, 23:32 UTC TheOwner,
when you modify testfile.zip, which causes different checksum and you doubleclick already created testfile.blake3 file, then CRC error appear, which is okay, but sometimes double click shows no CRC error, instead "Select only SFV, MD5 or SHA" appear.
After the CRC error appears, testfile.zip is selected. When you then double click testfile.blake3 (while testfile.zip is selected), "Please select only SFV, MD5 or SHA files!" appears.

Roman
You are right! I didnt noticed that zip file will be selected if CRC checksum is invalid and if is valid then not.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed double clicking a hash file now checks all selected hash files instead of the double clicked one, like the menu item does. I'mnot sure whether I should change that, people may actually use this...
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I can understand that if people click a selected file that they would like to check using all selected files, OK.

But I can't really imagine that when clicking an unselected .blake3 file TC should ignore the clicked file and instead assume all selected files are checksum files to be used for verification. Personally I'd expect TC to do one of the following two things:
a) TC checks using the clicked checksum file and ignores the selected files
b) TC checks using the clicked checksum file but only checks against the selected files (more complex)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Would users expect a file manager to operate on (multiple) selected/marked files when double-clicking on a single file, especially when double-clicking on other files only executes an action with that particular file and not the selected ones? To be honest, I wouldn't expect such a thing. It's OK and expected for other operations like renaming, deleting and so on. But verifying checksums? I don't know. It's still possible to check multiple hash files via the menu item.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have changed this in TC 10.52 release candidate 1 and later, please check it!
So when you now double click any checksum file, the selected files will be ignored and just that file will be checked.
However, menu Files - Verify checksums will sill check all selected if there are any.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Tested OK using TC 10.52rc2.

Double-click and pressing Enter verify the file under cursor. cm_CRCcheck uses selected files.
MCorey

Post by *MCorey »

I was just going to post a new thread on the subject, but luckily found this one.

I was going to ask about the previous behaviour of the checksum validation, which was validating all the selected checksum files in a batch. I noticed that this behaviour was removed in the the latest version and wanted to ask if the removal was intentional, because I was actually using the old behaviour actively. (Not by clicking, but by pressing enter on one of the selected files, which is very advantageous for users who prefer to rely almost entirely on using the keyboard).

Now that I have read the discussing in this thread, I understand the background of this decision. Also I understand that the old behaviour is still accessible through the File menu. However, I would still like to suggest a possible alternative solution, which might (?) be able to both keep the advantage of the old behaviour, and at the same time address the problem described in this thread.

1. If, and only if, multiple hash files are marked and one of them is clicked (or Enter is pressed on one of them), then all the marked hash files are verified (same as"File | Verify checksums" == old behaviour)
2. If any files (not limited to hash files) are selected, but the file being clicked (or file under cursor when pressing Enter) is not one of the selected files, selection is ignored, and the double click or Enter works on the file being clicked (or under cursor).

I think it would be very useful for active keyboard users, because validation of multiple checksum files is tremendously helpful when working with directory trees in branch view.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was changed because it was clearly a bug. Just define your own hotkey for cm_CRCcheck and use that to check a batch of selected files.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
I don't really have a problem with the approach MCorey suggests, i.e.:
- if the selection includes non-checksum files and an unselected checksum file is clicked, ignore the selection and perform a check using the clicked checksum file
- if ONLY checksum files are selected and one of them is clicked, perform a check using all selected checksum files

What do you think?

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's not so easy to check, there could be many 1000s of files.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
But, if I understand correctly, all we need to check is: "is among the selected files any file that has a non-checksum extension?", this shouldn't be too difficult nor computation intensive(?)

Roman