Is there a content plugin for msg files ? (similar to eml_new)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Is there a content plugin for msg files ? (similar to eml_new)

Post by *funkymonk »

Hi Community.

Is there a content plugin to extract meta data from email msg files (similar to eml_new)?

@author_of_eml_new: Will msg files be supported by a future version of your plugin?

thx
funkymonk
patxiku

Re: Is there a content plugin for msg files ? (similar to eml_new)

Post by *patxiku »

Hi, funkymonk

When you refer to extract meta data and eml_new content plugin (wdx), perhaps you are considering a kind o filtering, showing or sorting columns?

Can you explain more?

Bye. Patxiku
Patxiku
User since 1998. #122717 license (2005)
zhugecaomao

Post by *zhugecaomao »

funkymonk wrote: 2022-09-13, 11:39 UTC Hi Community.

Is there a content plugin to extract meta data from email msg files (similar to eml_new)?

@author_of_eml_new: Will msg files be supported by a future version of your plugin?

thx
funkymonk
maybe you can try uLister, uLister is a powerful document viewer which can open more than 500 file formats. .msg & .eml are supported
Total Commander Version 11.00b10 64 bit
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Thank you!

However, my request is not about viewing email msg files.

I am searching for a *content* plugin that allows me to extract meta data (like sender/from, receiver/to, subject, send date, etc.) for creating custom columns or for use in the multi rename tool.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

This should be quite easy to develop using the MapiMail API. It is capable to read msg files and extract the needed information.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

If I'm not mistaken (don't have a msg at hand) these are "just text files" and you should be able to use a scripting language of your choice (vbs, python, AutoHotkey) to read some data from them using WinScript Advanced - viewtopic.php?t=44032
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

hi5 wrote: 2022-09-26, 17:05 UTC If I'm not mistaken (don't have a msg at hand) these are "just text files" and you should be able to use a scripting language of your choice (vbs, python, AutoHotkey) to read some data from them using WinScript Advanced - viewtopic.php?t=44032
Thats a wrong assumption.
There is no simply readable text in an msg file.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

That is why I "wrote it in quotes" - they are peculiar format - but I opened in the past for sure in my actual text editor and saw the message body text and some data I needed - I see (Google results) VBS (using COM, AutoHotkey can use COM as well) and python code (https://github.com/TeamMsgExtractor/msg-extractor "The python package extract_msg automates the extraction of key email data (from, to, cc, date, subject, body) and the email's attachments") so one way or another these can be processed I'm sure which is why I suggested WinScript Advanced as option to investigate.

There are also convertors that convert MSG to EML, so if that is an option, do that first if that would help (eml is text)
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Thank you all.

The msg files I have seen so far are not plain text files (and conversion to another format would be impractical for the use case).
Well, maybe a script can help indeed...