moving files issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

lneam

moving files issue

Post by *lneam »

last years, i have notice a stange issue during files move from disk to disk. When i select files from inside a folder or from multiple folders to move, the sutable procedure is ... to show a message at the end of the move of the first file to delete it. But there is no message. When all the files has moved, then it shows all the questions one by one ... "do you want to delete the file xxxxx.xxx". When this is happening there is also one more issue. The bar of total progress size is start and restart at every new file. Also the total size of storage never goes at the final size.

- this issue is very rare. I have tested at both winXP and win7
- all the files or folders are "read only mark"
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: moving files issue

Post by *Usher »

That change was introduced almost 10 years ago, in TC 8.50:
HISTORY.TXT wrote: 20.03.13 Added: Support delayed copying in case of errors (files without errors moved first) also when moving files between two different drives (32/64)
12.03.13 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] SkippedFileCopy=0 turns off new copy mode where files with errors are skipped and handled at the end (32/64)
10.03.13 Added: F5 copy: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end (32/64)
It worked when the first message was shown after 5 s or longer delay.
Later (in TC 9.0a) this delay was made configurable:
HISTORY.TXT wrote: 06.12.16 Added: wincmd.ini [Configuration] SkippedFileCopy=100 or more: Option to set a different delay (in ms) at start of a file operation during which a user can be asked whether he wants to overwrite a file (32/64)
Now it works as described in Help:
TC Help wrote: SkippedFileCopy=1
1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed
>=100: Like 1, but sets number of milliseconds at start during which the user will be asked too (default 5000)
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
lneam

Post by *lneam »

when we visit Configuration > option .. what we must change ?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 07:16 UTC when we visit Configuration > option .. what we must change ?
Nothing.
You have to set this by direct editing your wincmd.ini
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
lneam

Post by *lneam »

it will better for all the users, especially the rookies, to found this option inside app settings
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 08:02 UTC it will better for all the users, especially the rookies, to found this option inside app settings
That will be to many entries and for most of it there is seldom a need for changing.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
lneam

Post by *lneam »

i add to wincmd.ini the command "SkippedFileCopy=0", but the issue is there. Any idea ?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 15:52 UTC i add to wincmd.ini the command "SkippedFileCopy=0", but the issue is there. Any idea ?
Did you restart TC after making the change?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
lneam

Post by *lneam »

maybe it will nice to wait for the maker of the app to answer about a solution
lneam

Post by *lneam »

when i select the folders, then i presss F6 and then enter. I have the issue

when i select the folders, then i presss F6 and then F2. I have no issue
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

SkippedFileCopy works only for copy/move in foreground and background. F2 switches copy/move to Background Transfer Manager, where this option is turned off, because TC cannot change copy order in this case - it is you who can manually change copy order in BTM.
Just search for previous explanations, please:
search.php?keywords=SkippedFileCopy&terms=all&author=ghisler*&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=9999&t=0&submit=Search
Andrzej P. Wozniak
lneam

Post by *lneam »

first of all we are not talking about copy files. With this action the command "SkippedFileCopy=0" is useless. With copy there is no move = no delete question

with key press F2, we have Background Transfer Manager and no issue. When the first file ends, we have question for delete and the total bar size works OK

I still can't understand what to do to solve my issue, when i chose > select folders > F6 > enter. With this action there is no question after the first file finished and the total size bar doesn't work.

i have read the link that you suggest with zero results found about my case. I still belive that the app has working issue

where i can found the available commands and parameters for wincmd.ini ?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 23:44 UTC first of all we are not talking about copy files.
Go to my first message in this topic and read it really carefully, please. Or just read the text below.
20.03.13 Added: Support delayed copying in case of errors (files without errors moved first) also when moving files between two different drives (32/64)
It means that there is NO separate option for moving and you can read "move" in place of "copy" in previously linked search results.
It means also that there is NO warning when moving files to another directory on the same partition (drive) as there is no file content copying there.
lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 23:44 UTCwhen i chose > select folders > F6 > enter. With this action there is no question after the first file finished
Either it is moving on the same partition or you should go to Configuration -> Misc. and make sure you have all confirmation messages turned ON.
lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 23:44 UTCthe total size bar doesn't work.
Could you explain it with more details, please? Moving on the same partition is NOT a file content copying, there are only location changes in MFT made. In such cases moving speed depends on number of files rather than on total size so there is no size info on the progress bar.
lneam wrote: 2022-09-27, 23:44 UTCwhere i can found the available commands and parameters for wincmd.ini ?
Use F1.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2lneam
Also pls, explain - which TC version do you use currently?
And also, if it is not difficult - try to explain in other words - what exactly do you see as a problem?
And I respect those who are already helping you and trying to clarify some points, but still surprised,
that they were able to understand something from your description. For example, I don't understand this anymore:
the suitable procedure is ... to show a message at the end of the move of the first file to delete it. But there is no message
What message? When I execute the files MOVE command, it just runs and that's it. No messages.
And it's damn logical not to clog the screen with unimportant information. And if the move process finished without problems,
then there is no reason to show something either during the transfer process or even after it is over. And what do you want here?
I do not exclude that in the settings for a very long time ago I turned off something and now I do not see such messages, although they, for example, for some reason are in the logic of Total Commander's work, but you will agree that in such a situation there may be many who read your post and try to put themselves in your place and understand something. Maybe you can at least make a small video of what happens and in what sequence, and point out WHAT happens correctly and WHAT doesn't?
Last edited by AntonyD on 2022-09-28, 11:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

What message? When I execute the files MOVE command, it just runs and that's it. No messages.
You do get messages about deleting the source files (if they are readonly, hiddden or system files) when you move between different partions or disks.

But with SkippedFileCopy=0 you get those messages from the start, whereas if you use SkippedFileCopy=1 you get the messages after the copying to the other drive is done. And that works fine for me, so I don't understand why it doesn't work for lneam
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar