Folder icons are not displayed in netshared directories.

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yanch

Folder icons are not displayed in netshared directories.

Post by *yanch »

I have netshare dir called "Share". There are two subfolders inside: Folder1 and Folder2. Both subfolders have "desktop.ini" files, in which route to the icon is set. So if I open "Share" from another machine I see necessary previews in explorer.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/xJyCrm0.jpg
But that is wrong for TC. It displays default icons for mentioned folders.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/OYYtFCU.jpg
TC v.9.51. Windows 8.1x64.
Sorry, if this question was discussed. I could not find anything about this problem.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Folder icons are not displayed in netshared directories.

Post by *Dalai »

A desktop.ini file only has an effect if the directory in which it is located has the system and/or read-only attribute.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Read-only is a must. Hidden or system attributes can't be used because by default such folders won't be shown at all.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
yanch

Post by *yanch »

Dalai wrote: 2022-10-02, 20:25 UTC or read-only attribute.
Usher wrote: 2022-10-03, 01:48 UTC Read-only is a must
Read-only attribute does not any affect in my case. "System" attrib does. But I do not need to see exclamation mark on folders. As well as to have them as "system" at a whole. It`s really confusing behavior of TC.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/GXWL7Ez.png

Also I must admit, that if the drive, containing those folders, is mapped as "network drive" in Windows, TC shows icons as it should.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/1LamAVN.png
But I do not need to map all such drives. So impossibility to view icons for folders in netshares looks like "antifeature" or predefined bug. Why is it not implemented like in explorer?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can disable the "!" overlay on hidden/system files and folders, also in Total Commander 9.51:
Configuration - Options - Icons
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
yanch

Post by *yanch »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-03, 08:07 UTC You can disable the "!" overlay
Ok, I disabled overlay icons earlier, but forgot about separate option for system files.

But it is not the solution. I do not need to have such folders as "system" and hidden. As well as it is necessary to have proper rights to change this attrib.
So why is it not implemented like in explorer?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have looked it up why it does this: I have disabled individual per folder icons from UNC paths because on shared CDs/DVDs, all files and folders have the read only attribute set. Requesting the icons for these would result in a very slow response. Unfortunately it's not possible to detect whether a shared folder is a shared DC/DVD, so I had to disable it altogether.
yanch

Post by *yanch »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-03, 08:42 UTC so I had to disable it altogether.
Very very very strange decision. Frequency of using netshared folders is much, much more higher than shared CDs/DVDs. The most logical way should be - to "have/try to overcome" slow response in one mode (what about explorer in this situation???), than to destroy the feature for another mostly used case.

Reconsider your approach, please. Or give possibility to a user to config this setting:
1) Need to view folder icons as in explorer for UNC paths? -> Checkbox "Not to show icons for UNC pathes" is turned off by default.
2) Need high response for shared DVD? -> Turn on checkbox "Not to show icons for UNC paths"
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

yanch wrote: 2022-10-03, 07:43 UTC
Dalai wrote: 2022-10-02, 20:25 UTC or read-only attribute.
Usher wrote: 2022-10-03, 01:48 UTC Read-only is a must
Read-only attribute does not any affect in my case. "System" attrib does.
Explorer sets read-only attribute when personalizing local folders (creating desktop.ini). The same works for subfolders in shares mapped as drives on Windows XP, 7 and 10 - in both Explorer and TC.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
yanch

Post by *yanch »

Usher wrote: 2022-10-03, 14:19 UTC read-only attribute when personalizing local folders
Usher wrote: 2022-10-03, 14:19 UTC in shares mapped as drives
The problem does not regards nor to local folders, nor to mapped drives. UNC paths is the case, as ghisler mentioned. So "the same" does not work for this issue.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I can confirm the observation, now that I tested it myself on a UNC path (network share). Honestly, it was/is a little surprising that TC behaves that way. The question is: How important is it to have that feature and how much work is it to implement without having any drawbacks (or at least as little as possible)? I'll definitely leave that to Ghisler.

Judging from the number of posts about this topic - or rather lack thereof - it seems to be not that important.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
yanch

Post by *yanch »

Dalai wrote: 2022-10-03, 17:32 UTC How important is it to have that feature and how much work is it to implement without having any drawbacks (or at least as little as possible)? I'll definitely leave that to Ghisler.

Judging from the number of posts about this topic - or rather lack thereof - it seems to be not that important.
Number of posts about shared СDs tends to zero, but ghisler payed attention to it for some reason. I use netshares EVERY day. And I use TC in Windows. So I do not understand why TC behavior differs from explorer regarding STANDARD function. Advice to set netshares as "system" in order to use standard function looks freaky. May it be better to advice users to use explorer when they work with shared CDs?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, it makes browsing shared CDs completely unusable, so I had to disable it. Also the paths in the desktop.ini file refer to an icon somewhere on that remote PC, so it may not even be possible to display it.
yanch

Post by *yanch »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-10-04, 08:34 UTC it makes browsing shared CDs completely unusable, so I had to disable it.
Destroying STANDARD Windows function because of failure with developing of one/two person wished feature? Illogical decision. Is it possible somehow to return icons for users, who really need it? May be "hidden switcher"?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Could you add an option to wincmd.ini (disabled by default) to enable the display of such icons, alongside an explanation in TC help that it makes shared CDs/DVDs very slow? Should be doable IMO.

And I agree with yanch that optical media has been on the way out for many years now, I think it should at least be a consideration to make changes to allow users more choice.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence