[implemented] Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sirksel

[implemented] Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Post by *sirksel »

Very often I use the Synchronize function to check file-for-file contents of large main directories or even multi-terabyte disks. Sometimes these file compare scans are running for hours or days. Occasionally, I have the need to write to the disk (not necessarily the directories being checked) while the comparison is still going on. Currently, I have the choice of either (1) aborting the scan and losing sometimes hours of progress, or (2) writing to the disk anyhow (while the scan is running) and needlessly grinding the drive back and forth between its scan and writing tasks, yielding suboptimal speeds on each process.

Mr. Ghisler, I LOVE how you added (many versions ago) a pause to the copy/move dialog! I often use it to pause file transfers when I need to do something to another part of the physical disk. Then I can just resume the transfer. Could you enable something like this for the file comparison task in the Synchronize Dir window?

I'm sure you have a better UI implementation idea than I do, but my initial thought was as follows... When a scan is in progress, there is an Abort button and the Synchronize button is grayed out. Maybe the Synchronize button could be changed to a Pause button when a scan is in progress? Alternatively, if it's easier, maybe it's possible to have Abort trigger a dialog (rather than aborting directly) which offers an Abort, Pause and Cancel option? I would such an option literally every day!

Many thanks for your help and your FANTASTIC program!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Both sound like good ideas, what do other users think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I think it should be the Compare button that becomes a Pause button once the compare is started.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Why not? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

The problem is that the pause will be useful more for em_SyncStandalone, and not for cm_FileSync, while the interrupt (Stop/Abort) is useful for both commands.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
miskox

Post by *miskox »

jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support the suggestion by petermad that it should be the Compare button that becomes a Pause button once the compare is started.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

I agree with you all, and any layout option works for me as long as it affords the pause functionality.

I had initially thought about the Compare button becoming the Pause button during a scan (since it is pausing the compare process and not the synchronize process). However, that placed it physically far from the Abort button, whose position seems to be well established at this point. By putting it next to Abort, it would be obvious to any user that you could either Pause or Abort, without looking to the other side of the window. (As I say, I could go either way though...)

Either with petermad's or my original position suggestion, there's one detail I left out, which may go without saying: Once paused, that same Pause button would then become Resume. Once resumed, it would revert back to a Pause button. And it would toggle like that for any future pauses until the completion of the scan... at which point, it reverts back to either Synchronize or Compare, depending on which button position you ultimately implement.

I prefer either of these ideas to the secondary abort/pause/cancel dialog option I proposed in my OP. That is probably harder to implement anyhow, and largely unnecessary.

If implemented, I would likely use this feature every day. :) Many thanks!
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

Is there any chance this one might make 10.52? Maybe it's already in RC5, but I haven't checked those releases yet. I'm still working in RC3! I'm just trying to monitor this thread so I can test it for you ON time, when the time comes. You had to nudge me last time, so I promise to be faster at it than I was last time. I just had no idea you were so quick. Mr. Ghisler, you are faster at writing these releases than I am at downloading them and incorporating them in my portable setup! :)

Thanks so much for all the help. (On an off-topic side note. I'm already using F20 to F24 shortcuts every day now.) MANY thanks!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I can't just re-use one of the existing "Pause" translations, because it would need a hotkey for a button. Therefore i had to postpone it to a later version, sorry.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

As a workaround you can do this: Grab the "Synchronize directories" window by its title bar and hold down the left mouse button, as you would do to move it. This pauses the comparison process, even if that comparison is based on file contents. Release the mouse button when you want the process to continue.

This is certainly not ideal for a long taking operation happening at the same time, but it's better than nothing.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

Mr. Ghisler, I saw there were a lot of improvements in the 11 RCs for synchronize dirs. Did the pause button idea (to pause the comparison itself) make it in? I use dir synchronize almost as much as I use copy with large transfers, and I still wish there were a way to pause them when I need to do other disk activity for a moment. I looked through the history.txt to see if this made it, but I couldn't find it. Any chance it's still being considered?

Many thanks!

(P.S., every time you make a big release like this, I use it as an opportunity to show friends and colleagues how much you keep improving TC, even after all these years. I hope at least some of these folks turn into new customers for you!)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Support++
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, it didn't make it into TC 11. And now is the worst moment to ask for it - a feature which needs new translation can't be added just over night. I will add it to my wish list, though.
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

I'm sorry about that, Mr. Ghisler. When I look back at this thread, I think I did the same thing last time at v10. I originally suggested it too late for v10, but then forgot to check back. I haven't been to your web site in a while, mostly because your software is so good I don't need to visit too often. I just went back yesterday to find something in the forums for a custom command and noticed you've been hard at work on yet another version! That's a good thing. That's a GREAT thing!!! I will try to check back more often, but I know if you've got it on the wish list, one day it might make it. Thanks as always for the continued innovation on even already wonderful software.