EdgeViewer - Modern HTML viewer plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rg_software

Re: EdgeViewer - Modern HTML viewer plugin

Post by *rg_software »

Hi all,

Here is a quick update of EdgeViewer. What's new:

- Dark mode for markdown files. I will be able to implement dark mode also for directory and asciidoc views, but that's it. The current TC mode is used.
- Handling of local paths in URL files. This one is tricky: it breaks for wrong encodings, but I am not sure which encodings work in Windows. Say, I can open an ASCII path or a path in my local encoding, but UTF-8 fails in Windows (double click doesn't open anything). Maybe there are some rules to follow, but I need to investigate.

Future plans: something with Dir view / image preview and Cyrillic in MHTML files.
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

I have also added dark mode support to the Markdown viewer, please try it out.
TychoBarfy

Post by *TychoBarfy »

rg_software wrote: 2023-11-19, 03:27 UTC I have also added dark mode support to the Markdown viewer, please try it out.
Uuups, contents of this ZIP file is also EdgeViewer. :wink:
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

TychoBarfy wrote: 2023-11-19, 06:20 UTC
rg_software wrote: 2023-11-19, 03:27 UTC I have also added dark mode support to the Markdown viewer, please try it out.
Uuups, contents of this ZIP file is also EdgeViewer. :wink:
Fixed!
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

2rg_software
with .md works great!

still need for Ctrl+q
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

KozakMak wrote: 2023-11-19, 08:40 UTC 2rg_software
with .md works great!

still need for Ctrl+q
1) which of two plugins?
2) do you mean directory or what? just tried ctrl+q with edgeviewer on md, works fine.
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

rg_software wrote: 2023-11-19, 10:48 UTC 1) which of two plugins?
Markdown viewer
rg_software wrote: 2023-11-19, 10:48 UTC 2) do you mean directory or what? just tried ctrl+q with edgeviewer on md, works fine.
dirs
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

KozakMak wrote: 2023-11-19, 11:27 UTC dirs
Heh, no idea how to fix it.
The original HTMLView simply calls IE, which can display dirs natively. There are no theme/style sheets involved in this process.
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

MarkdownView v2.5

what is purpose of the file hoedown.html ? what is it for?
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

KozakMak wrote: 2023-11-23, 09:20 UTC MarkdownView v2.5

what is purpose of the file hoedown.html ? what is it for?
It's a part of the documentation. Included on a request above in this thread (so that everything you need to read about is in the same archive). Maybe I should move everything under doc/ subfolder.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

With the EdgeViewer defined as a plugin in my lister plugin section along with the Imagine plugin being the first defined lister plugin at slot 0, trying to view a GIF file either in lister-view or quick-view will always trigger TC's internal multimedia viewer first. I then have to press the key "4" once to switch to the Imagine plugin.

When I remove the EdgeViewer from the plugin list, trying to view a GIF file behaves as expected, i.e. the first defined plugin capable of viewing GIF files, in this case, the Imagine plugin at slot 0, is called.

I tried changing the slot of the EdgeViewer plugin to the last slot of my defined plugins, altering its detection string, and defining the imagine plugin for GIF files via the wincmd.ini [ListerModes] section, everything without success.

For now, I have replaced the EdgeViewer with your MarkdownView plugin which also gives me the expected result of calling the imagine plugin for GIF files first.

Btw, you did not change the version number for the last releases of EdgeViewer and MarkdownView that you just posted here. And in MarkdownView's ini-file the word Quick is spelled wrong on three occasions: 2 x "qiuck view" and 1 x "QiuckQuit". You might want to change that. :)
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Here - viewtopic.php?p=444234#p444234 - you are asking about using EdgeViewer for GIF files.
Did you roll back these changes?
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2Gral

Yes, as I reported back then the experience wasn't quite satisfactory. Meanwhile, GIF support of the imagine plugin has been rewritten, which makes it usable again as the main lister plugin for the GIF format. Previously I had disabled the GIF extension for the Imagine plugin due to its many crashes with that format, and therefor the issue with the EdgeViewer I described above did not occur for me.
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

1) I don't change the version numbers when I put the plugin here. I collect feedback, fix here and there, and then place it on totalcmd.net and Github, then the plugin gets its new version.
2) I can't really comment on overtaking the gif viewer. There is no magic in EdgeViewer: it is called for any extension listed in the detectstring, and then chooses the module that handles the extension using its ini file. If GIF isn't in the detectstring, the plugin shouldn't be called at all.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

rg_software wrote: 2023-11-24, 01:02 UTC 1) I don't change the version numbers when I put the plugin here. I collect feedback, fix here and there, and then place it on totalcmd.net and Github, then the plugin gets its new version.
Alright then. :)
rg_software wrote: 2023-11-24, 01:02 UTC 2) I can't really comment on overtaking the gif viewer. There is no magic in EdgeViewer: it is called for any extension listed in the detectstring, and then chooses the module that handles the extension using its ini file. If GIF isn't in the detectstring, the plugin shouldn't be called at all.
The Imagine plugin is my first defined lister plugin (in slot 0), so regardless if the GIF extension is also included in the detection string of EdgeViewer, it should not be the first lister plugin to be called for the GIF format when the Imagine plugin has the first plugin slot (slot 0). Once I removed EdgeViewer from the lister plugin section everything worked again as expected.

I will give this issue another try today and see what I can find.