Suggestions for in-place renaming

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Suggestions for in-place renaming

Post by *funkymonk »

Since I miss this feature almost daily (sometimes several times a day), here is another suggestion:

When renaming a file or directory in-place (Shift+F6) it happens very often to me that parts of the new file name should be identical with those of other files in the same directory.

Ex:

Code: Select all

2022-10-20 - Logfile Server 1.txt
2022-10-20 - Email John.eml
manual.pdf
temp.txt
Assuming "temp.txt" should be renamed in-place to "2022-10-21 - Logfile Error.txt", it would be great if parts of already existing file names would be suggested while typing.

If you start typing
"2022-10-21 - L", then "2022-10-21 - Logfile" could be suggested.
As in many editors, the suggested options could appear in a list after a certain delay or be requested by Crtl+Space (configurable would be great).

If one then accepts "ogfile" and continues typing "2022-10-21 - Logfile E", "2022-10-21 - Logfile Email" would be suggested but you can simply continue writing "2022-10-21 - Logfile Error.txt".

I am sure the idea is clear from many editors...

Although this suggestion again involves some development effort, it would certainly mean a significant speed-up in managing files (structuring code or media files, documents, etc.).

Any opinion on that?
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Suggestions for in-place renaming

Post by *nsp »

If you select more than one file, and chose rename each file separately you have a dialog which offer this ability.

What i personally miss is to have this dialog opened even if i have only one file under cursor/selected and a command to bypass generic one for all selected. (I personally do not like to edit inside cell even in excel ;) )
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

nsp wrote: 2022-10-20, 13:14 UTC If you select more than one file, and chose rename each file separately you have a dialog which offer this ability.

What i personally miss is to have this dialog opened even if i have only one file under cursor/selected and a command to bypass generic one for all selected. (I personally do not like to edit inside cell even in excel ;) )
Support++
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

I really appreciate the in-place editing and use it many times every day.

@nsp: Thank you for the Idea!
The functionality of the rename window is actually *not* what I am looking for.
It has file name completion, but it does not suggest parts of other file names at arbitrary positions in the new file name.
monarch-lfv

Post by *monarch-lfv »

In fact, this is a auto-filled of the text, as similar in excel.
I would add from myself that there were some special symbols to insert the current date (and time) when renaming on the place. For example symbols:

"<d" - replaced by the current date
"<t" - replaced by the current time (seconds in the moment of pressing "Enter")
"<d-t" - replaced by the current date and time (between them dash)
The format can be configured in WinCmd.ini in a parameter of the species:

TimeTemplate=hh.mm.ss
DateTemplate=YYYY.MM.DD
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

monarch-lfv wrote: 2022-10-21, 06:33 UTC I would add from myself that there were some special symbols to insert the current date (and time) when renaming on the place.
Support++