Searching for an MP4 video tag editor plugin

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sirksel

Searching for an MP4 video tag editor plugin

Post by *sirksel »

I'm a long-time TC user, but I've only used a few plugins. I'd like to manage my video MP4 tags in TC, but when I looked through the official plugin list, I mostly saw either tag display plugins, or for editing tags, just for audio files. Does anyone have recommendations for mass editing MP4 tags in TC? Any that support regular expressions? ...although that's not a dealbreaker... Thanks!
Last edited by sirksel on 2022-11-17, 12:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: MP4 video tag editor plugin

Post by *Fla$her »

There are no such plugins. There are several console utilities that can be adapted to edit selected *.mp4.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
sirksel

Re: Searching for an MP4 video tag editor plugin

Post by *sirksel »

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any favorites for editing tags via command line in windows? Since there are no plugins, It looks like ffmpeg is pretty solid in its command-line support. Is there a specific console utility you like to use, or one that works better than others with Total Commander?
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

sirksel wrote: 2022-11-17, 13:56 UTC editing tags via command line in windows?

Maybe take a look at the ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Once you search for that ExifTool you will probably get more suggestions on the way....

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I'm just curious, what kind of tags you want to write into video files and how that helps you organizing the video collection?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

sirksel wrote: 2022-11-17, 13:56 UTCIs there a specific console utility you like to use, or one that works better than others with Total Commander?
Any utility can work with TC. It's a matter of customization, taste and preferences.
In addition to ffmpeg, there are tg, AtomicParsley and mp4tags as part of mpeg4iptools.
If you need help creating a button/custom command, formulate a specific request.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
sirksel

Post by *sirksel »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had hoped there was a plugin, but this should work fine.

@solid, it's more that there are tags in some of my files that were put there by some other utility and I want to remove them. I might replace them with something better, but at a minimum, just remove them. They don't really help me with the organization too much for video, as far as I can tell.

@Fla$her, I think I can make the button/em_command. If I run into trouble, thanks for the offer. I'll be back!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

sirksel wrote: 2022-11-18, 01:10 UTCI think I can make the button/em_command.
If you know how to work with lists of selected files, then you will undoubtedly cope. ;)
Overquoting is evil! 👎