Lister: Text with backslash not found sometimes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

WolfgangK

Lister: Text with backslash not found sometimes

Post by *WolfgangK »

If you search for a text with a backslash inside, it is sometimes not found in Lister.

This happens if the character after the backslash results in a valid code, e.g. "text\something" works quite well, but "text\this" does not. That is because instead of searching for the literal text, the \t is replaced with a tab character and the search tries to find "text<tab>his" instead. (Same thing for \n,)

I couldn't find a documentation about this. I thought the codes might be the same as in C++ or Java, but it seems \r is not a valid code. I am also not sure if \n searches only for <CR><LF> (Windows default) or any combination of <CR> and <LF> or only for some of them.

The way it is now, can easily lead to mistakes. If you copy a text containing a backslash and then paste it into the search dialog, Lister may say that it doesn't exist even though it does. Unless you remember that there might be an issue with backslashes and double all of them. That is especially bothersome when you are searching for various filepaths in several logfiles.

While it is a very good idea to be able to search for special characters, I think, it should be an option you turn on explicitly like RegEx, because most of the time you are not searching for tabs or line breaks. Coloring valid codes in the search dialog might be another possibility, at least then you see immediately that there is something special in the text.

BR, WolfgangK
Hacker

Re: Lister: Text with backslash not found sometimes

Post by *Hacker »

WolfgangK,
I couldn't find a documentation about this.
F3 - F7 - F1.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Moderator message from: Hacker

Moved to the English forum.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote: 2022-11-26, 14:52 UTC WolfgangK,
I couldn't find a documentation about this.
F3 - F7 - F1.

HTH
Roman
That doesn't help much for this problem :(

In my Editors (AkelPad, PSPad, Syn2) you can enable RegEx to search for tabs with \t
and disable RegEx to search for literal \t

In native lister there is no difference with enable or disable RegEx.
It always finds tabs when searching for \t

So the only way is to double the backslash.
Unfortunately my preferred text Lister plugin (CudaLister) has the same problem.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
Perhaps you misunderstood what I was quoting and replying to.

Roman