comparing directories bug with special characters

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

agowa338

comparing directories bug with special characters

Post by *agowa338 »

Hi, I just noticed a bug in TotalCommander 10.52.

First, what I wanted to do, I wanted to sync a local folder to a folder on an FTP server. The FTP server didn't allow certain characters in filenames (and TotalCommander detected that and offered to rename them to underscores).
Now the issue is when the "Synchronize directory" tool is used, it doesn't detect that the files belong together anymore and suggests uploading them again and downloading the renamed ones.
But when I do so, TotalCommander renames the special chars to underscores automatically (without asking this time) and overwrites the existing files (without asking).

I think this behavior is unintuitive for two reasons:
1. Files get overwritten without asking.
2. After TotalCommander asked (and I confirmed) that it is ok to remove the nonsupported special characters from the filename and replace them with underscores, the "synchronize directory" tool should detect the files as belonging together and correctly diff them as usual.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: comparing directories bug with special characters

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, there is no good solution here, except for downloading the files with the changed names and deleting the ones with the original names.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com