External devices and sub folders

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

semmel

External devices and sub folders

Post by *semmel »

Hi.

Long-time user here - 20+ years :-) Thank you for a great application!

I just noticed that when I attach my Oculus/Meta Quest 2 VR headset via USB, TC can open the file system. The Quest 2 is mounted as a weird external device in a way that I have not seen before in Windows.

I can browse the file system, but every path always turns into \\CurrentFolder - e.g.:

Quest 2 - Internal Shared Storage - Music

results in

\\Music

This means I can't bookmark anything in there. Some applications store their data 9 levels deep, so being able to bookmark this would be great.

I can provide screenshots or other information if that could help.

Is there a way to make this work, or maybe a future feature?

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External devices and sub folders

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is the same for all modern Android devices connected via USB (yes, the Quest 2 runs Android): They are not mounted as a drive, they are connected via MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). Unfortunately Windows doesn't return full paths when asking for the current directory on MTP, so you get this single name like \\Music.

The solution would be to use either my MediaAudio2 file system plugin, or the Android adb plugin (both via Network Neightborhood). But the latter requires a meta quest developer account to turn on debugging.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
semmel

Re: External devices and sub folders

Post by *semmel »

(Oops, never got the reply notification email...)

Thanks for the reply - either of your suggestions should work well for me (and I have developer access), so I'll try them out.

Thanks so much, you're awesome!