Tree problems

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Kalle

Tree problems

Post by *Kalle »

Hello forum

I have been using XYplorer for many years and find it superb. It is highly configurable although the menues are a terrible mess.
The developer don't want to write a 64 bit version, so I am looking for an alternative for my 64 bit pc's.
I am testing Total Commander on a Win7 32 bit pc with classic theme, and have a few questions.

1) The tree has arrows instead of +- boxes and the tree lines are way too bright. I can't find any settings for this, and I also tried to add lines in the .ini file without success. TreeTriangles=0, TreeLineColor=(some)rgb-value.
This old thread deal with the same things, and is marked as solved: viewtopic.php?p=227325&hilit=arrows+in+tree+view#p227325

2) I can not get TC to expand the tree at startup. I want it to show all drives and expand the c: drive.
I use a very simple setup. 2 panes, tree in the left one and list in the right one.

Any help appriciated.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Tree problems

Post by *petermad »

Kalle
This works fine for me - you have to put the parameters in the correct sections - that is [Colors] and [ColorsDark] - not just in the [Configuration] section, and to restart your TC after having made the changes.

Code: Select all

[Colors]
TreeLineColor=0
TreeTriangles=0

[ColorsDark]
TreeLineColor=-1
TreeTriangles=0

Kalle wrote: I can not get TC to expand the tree at startup.
You do not write whether you are referring to the Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8) or the file panel Tree mode (Ctrl+F8).

You can have the file panel tree fully expanded by enabling "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Display" -> "Tree" -> "Always load complete directory tree". This does not works for the Separate Tree(s).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Kalle

Post by *Kalle »

Wow, thank you, both settings now works perfectly.
I wonder why these settings are not directly accessible, at least the line colours, and the +- boxes could be default.

And about the tree expansion. I use the Separate Tree (Ctrl+Shift+F8) and a full expansion is not interesting, I only want a first level expansion on my C: drive. Is this possible.

I also notice that zebra stripes (colour 1 & colour 2) will affect both the tree and the list. Is it possible to have them on the list only?

Er der noget ilt i fjorden? :wink:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Kalle
I only want a first level expansion on my C: drive. Is this possible.
Just start up in a subdir to C:\ then the C: partition will be expanded.

I also notice that zebra stripes (colour 1 & colour 2) will affect both the tree and the list. Is it possible to have them on the list only?
Setting "Background 2" color only affects the file panels, not the Separate Trees (but it does affect the file panel tree - Ctrl+F8). Setting "Background" color also affects the Separate Trees.

Er der noget ilt i fjorden?
Det er jo både højvande. blæsende og koldt, så jeg tror fjorden har det udmærket for øjeblikket :-)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Kalle

Post by *Kalle »

petermad wrote: 2023-01-17, 15:48 UTC Just start up in a subdir to C:\ then the C: partition will be expanded.
Yes, works perfect, and I already forgot how I did it :oops:
petermad wrote: 2023-01-17, 15:48 UTC Setting "Background 2" color only affects the file panels, not the Separate Trees (but it does affect the file panel tree - Ctrl+F8). Setting "Background" color also affects the Separate Trees.
I see what you mean. I don't see any reason for having zebra stripes on the tree. I actually use the file panel tree - Ctrl+F8), what I wrote last time was wrong.
I also found that the text on non-checked menu lines in settings are crippled. Is this a bug or is it by purpose?

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/RF6Z4X0M/Uncheck-error.png
petermad wrote: 2023-01-17, 15:48 UTC Det er jo både højvande. blæsende og koldt, så jeg tror fjorden har det udmærket for øjeblikket :-)
Ja, det er altid iskoldt deroppe nordpå :lol:
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Kalle
I also found that the text on non-checked menu lines in settings are crippled. Is this a bug or is it by purpose?
I don't see such a thing < https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/unselecteditems.png >- it could be an antialiasing problem. Try this in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file:

Code: Select all

FontQuality=3
FontQualityMenu=3
and see if that makes any difference. Remember to restart TC after making the chnage to the ini file.
License #524 (1994)
Kalle

Post by *Kalle »

No, it didn't make any diff. I have also tried to change font type and size without success.
It only occurs when there is a checkbox, and then only on the sub menutext.
On your screenshot it seems that your text gets grey when deselecting the checkbox, while my txt gets crippled. Strange...
Any other ideas?

Er du også TC Android guru?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Kalle
your text gets grey when deselecting the checkbox
That's correct, for non-selectable items - just as it does in Normal mode.

May I suggest that you first try to see if the problems occurs with a clean .ini file. If it stll does, then try and make a new fresh Windows test account, to see if it is not some Windows setting in your current Windows account that is responsible.

Er du også TC Android guru?
No - there I only participate with Danish translation.
License #524 (1994)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Kalle
This has something to do with the Windows theme (and maybe color selection) and/or Windows version you're using. from the checkbox design it looks like a Windows classic theme, but with different colors and also dark mode in TC. Or do you run TC with some compatibility settings, e.g. "Disable visual themes"?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Kalle

Post by *Kalle »

Thank you both for the answers.
I use the classic theme with the ultra white Win7 colour replaced with something more eye friendly, and TC is eminent in dark mode so I use that.
I have not disabled visual elements, since I don't know what it is.
I don't think there is any reason to look further into this since it is such a tiny thing, and I have never experienced anything like it with other programs.
I will just show a screenshot here, that shows exactly what is going wrong with the graphics:

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/GhCY1vN6/Parallel.png

But I will appreciate help with some other settings, so I don't look for something that is not possible in TC.
1) Can I have different file sorting in different folders?
2) Can I have files before folders sorting?
3) Can I have doubleclick to open files?
4) Will Petermad's extra menu items help me with this kind of settings?
5) How do I get complete filenames (with extension)?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Kalle wrote: 2023-01-19, 19:59 UTC1) Can I have different file sorting in different folders?
This is possible with View Modes in conjunction with Auto Switch Mode. See Options > View Mode. But I use neither of them, so I can't help with that.
Nope.
Uh, that's the default. Do you mean single click? If so, take a look at Options > Operation > "Open files and directories with a single click".
Get complete filenames where? In the file list the names are complete, aren't they? Or do you mean into the clipboard? Or do you mean an absolute path? If the latter, take a look at menu Mark > Copy Names With Path To Clipboard.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Kalle

Post by *Kalle »

Dalai wrote: 2023-01-19, 20:45 UTC
Kalle wrote: 2023-01-19, 19:59 UTC1) Can I have different file sorting in different folders?
This is possible with View Modes in conjunction with Auto Switch Mode. See Options > View Mode. But I use neither of them, so I can't help with that.
Super, I will find out how...
Nope.
Arrgghh, not even with a little .ini tweak?
Uh, that's the default. Do you mean single click? If so, take a look at Options > Operation > "Open files and directories with a single click".
:oops: I must have have checked it by mistake...
Get complete filenames where? In the file list the names are complete, aren't they? Or do you mean into the clipboard? Or do you mean an absolute path? If the latter, take a look at menu Mark > Copy Names With Path To Clipboard.
I have filenames without extensions in the list. I can of course make it show "type", but I prefer the full filename. Here is a screenshot:

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/9MDvhJJh/No-extension.png

Moderator message from: white » 2023-01-19, 22:29 UTC

Fixed quotation.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I have filenames without extensions in the list.
Just enable the according option:
Configuration - Options - Tabstops/Data Format :
Show file extensions
[x] directly after filename
#5767 Personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You should fix the quotation...
Kalle wrote: 2023-01-19, 22:02 UTC
Nope.
Arrgghh, not even with a little .ini tweak?
No, there is no tweak. If your intention is to see only files, you can tell TC to show only files: Menu Show > Custom > button "Define..." which opens a TC search window. There take a closer look at the "Advanced" tab, specifically the Attributes. To see only files, deselect "Directory", and to see only directories select "Directory". Save the search and then select that search once you're back in the selection window. Now you can use Show > Custom whenever you need to show only files or only directories. Note that you need to switch back to "All files" (Ctrl+F10) if you need to see all.

There's another way to quickly get to the object you need: Quick search (filter). Press Ctrl+S and start typing the file name. If you don't know what the name starts with, type an asterisk (*) first. There are a lot more options to tweak Quick search/filter in TC, see Options > Quick Seach.
I have filenames without extensions in the list. I can of course make it show "type", but I prefer the full filename. Here is a screenshot:

Image: https://i.postimg.cc/9MDvhJJh/No-extension.png
These files do have an extension, and it's shown in the "Ext" column. TC can show it directly after the file name instead if you prefer, see Options > Tabstops > Show file extensions > (o) directly after filename.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence