How can we change the Search shortcut in TC from Alt+F7 to Ctrl+F ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Kristof

How can we change the Search shortcut in TC from Alt+F7 to Ctrl+F ?

Post by *Kristof »

Hi, how can we change the Search shortcut in TC from Alt+F7 to Ctrl+F ?
Image: https://i.imgur.com/ORvppE8.png

Currently Ctrl+F shortcut in TC is used to display FTP server panel, but I never use it.
Image: https://i.imgur.com/ORvppE8.png
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How can we change the Search shortcut in TC from Alt+F7 to Ctrl+F ?

Post by *Dalai »

Menu Configuration > Options > Misc > Redefine hotkeys. Select the hotkey and map it to cm_SearchFor (or cm_SearchForStandalone).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Kristof wrote: 2023-04-04, 13:12 UTC Hi, how can we change the Search shortcut in TC from Alt+F7 to Ctrl+F ?

1.) search the forum (or use google) to find older explanations

2.) take a look into the TOTALCMD.INC text file

3.) find the wanted internal command
[________________Tools________________]=0
cm_MultiRenameFiles=2400;Rename multiple files
cm_SearchFor=501;Search for

4.) open Options > Misc.
5.) choose wanted key combination
6.) add wanted command cm_SearchFor
7.) click on the green check button
8.) click on the ok button

more background info >> viewtopic.php?p=388478#p388478 
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

It is not 'cm_SearchForStandalone'

According to 'TOTALCMD.INC', the tree 'cm_search...' commands, that opens the 'Find Files' window, are at the moment:

501 cm_SearchFor - Search for
517 cm_SearchForInCurdir - Search in folder under the cursor or in specified drive
545 cm_SearchStandalone - Search in separate process
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
Kristof

Post by *Kristof »

Thanks I have been able to modify the search to Ctrl+F.

I have tried the 3 searching methods by assigning them to different shortcuts:
  • Ctrl+F : cm_SearchFor (Search for)
  • Ctrl+G: cm_SearchStandalone (Search in separate process)
  • Ctrl+H: cm_SearchForInCurdir (Search in folder under the cursor or in specified drive)

But I do not see the difference between them:
  • what is the advantage/inconvenients of using cm_SearchStandalone (compared to cm_SearchFor) ? is it to prevent TC to crash in case the search is crashing?
  • how is cm_SearchForInCurdir different from cm_SearchStandalone ? when I test, I do not see any difference.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

what is the advantage/inconvenients of using cm_SearchStandalone (compared to cm_SearchFor)
You can continue working in TC with other tasks if you use cm_SearchStandalone
how is cm_SearchForInCurdir different from cm_SearchStandalone ? when I test, I do not see any difference.
If you place the cursor on a directory, the search will take place in that directory (and it's subdirectories)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Pingouin

Post by *Pingouin »

Dalai wrote: 2023-04-04, 13:21 UTC Menu Configuration > Options > Misc > Redefine hotkeys. Select the hotkey and map it to cm_SearchFor (or cm_SearchForStandalone).

Regards
Dalai
Fantastic, thanks! That was bothering me too, who still uses FTP in 2024? ;)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Pingouin
who still uses FTP in 2024
Most people hwo has a website I guess...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
zvl_tcm

Post by *zvl_tcm »

That is crazy that in 2024 the search in TCM is set by default to ALT+F7... When you said that most people of websites use FTP I cannot understand why CTRL+F is for FTP in TCM in 2024. 99.90% of programs in windows is using CTRL+F for search and does not matter how many of them also use FTP. It is failure in my eyes that TCM is using CTRL+F for FTP and not for search! I need to change it everytime and it is annoying. The same with F2 for rename. Christian should understand that using old school shortcuts is not more helpful, but is culprit. Why still copy old file managers from DOS time? Crazy!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

zvl_tcm wrote: 2024-01-10, 22:03 UTCChristian should understand that using old school shortcuts is not more helpful, but is culprit. Why still copy old file managers from DOS time?
It seems you forget about users (with muscle memory) who've been using these shortcuts for many years or even decades. How many users do you think would complain if the default shortcut is changed now after a couple of decades? How many more would be annoyed or upset without (publicly) complaining?

What I'm trying to say is that it's not such a simple decision as you seem to think. BTW, there are other programs out there that use seemingly strange shortcuts to call certain functions/features. I like to think that probably all of them have grown historically.
I need to change it everytime and it is annoying.
Backup your wincmd.ini and restore it after a new TC installation. Or even use a portable TC with the shortcuts you prefer. If it's about installing TC on new installations and/or other user's computers you can copy&paste the [Shortcuts] section of wincmd.ini and you're done. Or redirect that section to a different INI file and copy that INI file. There are quite a few ways to make it easier.

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2024-01-10, 23:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
zvl_tcm

Post by *zvl_tcm »

I did not forgot about users. I know that many of you are hardcoded to use these old shortcuts and it is hard for you to change it. I am also old and used these shortcuts myself. But how years are moving forward and how explorer and other file managers are behaving it is more and more problem I guess. Lets forget about us, old users ( btw I lost my access to my old account so I created new one, because using my old nickname was not possible), but what about new users? I was trying to learn my son to use TCM becase it is great peace of software, the best I wver buy, but he is refusing it because of....

most of the programs use F2 for rename
most of the program use CTRL+F for search
... why not TCM?

Just thinking there is the time to maybe create some quick setting to change it.... Manualy change the settings is honestly refused by young people
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

zvl_tcm wrote: 2024-01-10, 22:45 UTC[...] but he is refusing it because of....

most of the programs use F2 for rename
most of the program use CTRL+F for search
... why not TCM?
We all grow accustomed to doing things the way we know. The next generation will probably ask similar questions about some other things that pop up in the future, "why is this done this way instead of that way?". The power of TC is that it's configurable, unlike some other programs.
Manualy change the settings is honestly refused by young people
Well, unfortunately there is some truth to that. But in my opinion it's their problem that they won't make the most of the software they use by changing settings to fit their needs. Often default settings cover just a small number of use cases. Or, in case of Windows and a lot of other programs, try to grab as many data from users as possible or benefit the developer/author much more than the user (to increase profits and other things). And settings are there to be changed to fit the user's needs.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence