Why is Total Commander still unable to compress in 7-Zip without a plugin after all these years?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PiotrMPPL

Re: Why is Total Commander still unable to compress in 7-Zip without a plugin after all these years?

Post by *PiotrMPPL »

Total Commander is not free, and you could have asked for it to integrate 7-Zip support for the last 20 years.

Is it really that hard to integrate 7-Zip with Total Commander?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why is Total Commander still unable to compress in 7-Zip without a plugin after all these years?

Post by *AntonyD »

Is it really that hard to integrate 7-Zip
And what VERY significant improvements can we potentially get from this?
Now we are free in the procedure for updating the library of this "plugin" - and we can
update themselves as new versions of 7zip are released. And in the case of code integration, we depend
on the speed of generation of new versions of Total. Is this what we really need?
#146217 personal license
jbcb

Post by *jbcb »

It would be interesting to see global statistics on the use of each compression algorithm.

FYI in our company:
zip 80%
tar 12%
rar 4%
cab 2%
7z 2%
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-29, 07:59 UTC
TC and Mr. Ghisler have no rights to include 7-zip code in the main program.
This isn't true. 7zip is released under LGPL license (library GPL), so it is allowed to include the library as long as any changes to the library itself are again open source.

The main reason why I don't include ...

Ah, that way around, ok, sorry, I remembered it wrongly and take all back.

MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

2Wilhelm M.
Everyone has own priorities. But reality says that UC2 can't be used now. Also it eats the space in packers list. It could be used better.

2jbcb
Just go to github to donwload some software (windows binaries). Almost the half of releases = 7z.

2PiotrMPPL
> you could have asked for it to integrate 7-Zip support for the last 20 years
viewtopic.php?t=44475
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-05-29, 07:59 UTC
The main reason why I don't include 7zip packing are:
1. There are a LOT of options which will overwhelm the casual user. Leaving it a plugin ensures that only experienced users will use it.
I don't understand your point of view, because WinRar have MORE command line switches than 7Zip and you let users use WinRar, so why not 7zip ? :? .

Best regards :!: .
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Galizza wrote: 2023-05-30, 23:12 UTC I don't understand your point of view, because WinRar have MORE command line
switches than 7Zip and you let users use WinRar, so why not 7zip ? :? .
Plus theres even a (14 year old!), still working guide/wrapper @ https://github.com/geoffsmith82/d7zip/blob/master/README.md that demos how easy it is to use 7z :-)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

MaxX wrote: 2023-05-30, 21:22 UTC But reality says that UC2 can't be used now. Also it eats the space in packers list. It could be used better

Support++
jbcb

Post by *jbcb »

MaxX wrote: 2023-05-30, 21:22 UTC Just go to github to donwload some software (windows binaries). Almost the half of releases = 7z.
I don't think you understand. All I meant to write is that in our non-IT company 7z belongs to TOP5 and therefore there should be native support for this format in TC.

Your argument supports my claim, of course.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I don't understand your point of view, because WinRar have MORE command line switches than 7Zip and you let users use WinRar, so why not 7zip ? :? .
There is no internal WinRAR packer in Total Commander.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

ghisler(Author) wrote: There is no internal WinRAR packer in Total Commander.
Understood, but then please let us use 7Zip on the same way that we can use WinRAR or Arj, best regards :!: .
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Galizza wrote: 2023-05-31, 20:08 UTCUnderstood, but then please let us use 7Zip on the same way that we can use WinRAR or Arj, best regards :!: .
Support++++++
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

but then please let us use 7Zip on the same way that we can use WinRAR or Arj
Support+++

Replace the UC2 packer with 7zip. I don't even know where to find a 32bit UC2 packer.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-01, 01:00 UTCReplace the UC2 packer with 7zip. I don't even know where to find a 32bit UC2 packer.
It was 16-bit ONLY and never worked on Win64.
KozakMak

Post by *KozakMak »

does anyone know how to pass the path to the graphical 7z like 'add to the archive' through the context menu?

https://ibb.co/6b8tZbf