How to understand Lister - Configure: Multimedia tab > Modes ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

How to understand Lister - Configure: Multimedia tab > Modes ?

Post by *AntonyD »

Open Lister - Configure: Multimedia tab - Define view method by file type. Press Add button and follow some procedure.
On last step we will be prompted to input 'default view modes' - we can do that or manually or with help of button '+'
So let's imagine that I did so twice - so I chosen Mode 1 (Text only) and Mode 7 (UTF-8).
So now editbox contains next record:
And now my question IS: for what reason we can setup here more than 1 mode?
How can Lister use these two/three/... options/modes separated by comma?
For example, making an entry like 1.7 for text files - does this mean that Lister by itself will be able to
auto-switch to select the best output option between just these two modes?
If not - if, as before, I can only manually select the desired mode through the menu or hotkeys 1-8,
then what is the special meaning of having an EDIT FIELD, and not radio buttons 1-8?
By the way, F1 does not work on this window - ie. I can't even read anything useful in the help.

P.S. BTW! or I am blind or something wrong with font in this dialog:
https://ibb.co/zfSt67S
Are all of you with sure does see here the comma between 1 and 7?
I SEE something veeeeery similar to .
Just for comparison: https://ibb.co/jvxzKmv

Please note in the subject more clearly what this thread is about, thank you.
#146217 personal license
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: How to understand the available opportunity?

Post by *Gral »

Difference is visible while you press "4" - as for plugin change - if you configure only "1" for view plain text or not configure at all you get only this view.
If you configure "1,7" by press "4" you can switch between this two modes repeatedly.

P.S. For help press F1 or "Help" button on "Configure Lister" window.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Emmm. On the one hand the logic is clear. But on the other hand - in the case of selected only two modes it is NOT clear)))
Because: that I will press 7, that I will press 4 - in any case I'll get this most necessary inclusion of the correct mode 7 in case initially incorrectly enabled mode 1 for some text file I opened. And that I will click between 1 and 7 on the keyboard, and that I will hammer 4 to switch in the loop... All this is equal.
I.e. logic and meaning arise ONLY after the selected THREE-and-more modes!
But okay. Now it's at least somewhat clearer. If only a help page would open about this dialogue - where it would be described in the same detail. And with examples.

And what do you have with the comma "almost like a dot" - also has this bug? And F1 does not work on this dlg - am I right?
#146217 personal license
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

For help press F1 or "Help" button on "Configure Lister" window.

On font issues - I'm guessing due to different placement on screen it uses different subpixel precision.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

For help press F1 or "Help" button on "Configure Lister" window.
No no! I know that on Lister's main conf.window the help button will work.
BUT 1) I didn't ask that question :wink: :lol: 2) this dialog is not described there in any way 3) I just wanted to clarify exactly that THERE this button does not really work. That's it - for now.
On font issues
but you can confirm that issue is here? Again - now our fortune-telling is not important - why this can happen and is this happening.
#146217 personal license
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

2) this dialog is not described there in any way
HELP
Define view method by file type
Allows you to choose preferred view methods separately for file types chosen by the user. This is mainly useful when there are multiple view methods for a certain file type, e.g. display icons from program files or display program file structure. Normally this is determined by the order of the lister plugins, but this function provides more options.
If you have defined 2 or more view methods for an extension, pressing '4' multiple times will change only through these methods. If you have specified only one view method, opening Lister with F3 will use this method. Pressing '4' multiple times will change all Lister plugins if they support the file type.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Yeah, well I'm writing about what: NOT IN THAT PLACE and the WRONG description in the help opens.
Yes, if you open F1-help from the window level
https://ibb.co/BKjKRqV

Then I will see the text that you provided. BUT! the problem is that this is not the starting place,
where do I start my F1-search. I'll first "fall through" deep into button 'Define view method by file type',
and here we will get next window:
https://ibb.co/0VKGbX3

And ONLY at this level I will press F1. And that's what I see there????
https://ibb.co/MDpnnpg

And this is it! And as we can see, everything described there does not coincide with the window from which I called for help.
And this is the main mistake that I am writing about. By calling help in this window, I expect to see a description that
completely characteristic only for this window. And now it seems that for the purposes of simplifying the maintenance of reference materials - it was decided to describe only one instance of this window - which in reality looks like this:
https://ibb.co/7ydRTWP

Yes, it's very, very similar to the one I'd like to see reference material on - but it's not exactly the same.
At least at the second stage after you click Add button the dialog appears in the window under discussion:
https://ibb.co/D4B8MYS
And it is in the help for it that information should be placed - that pressing button 4 again can help you switch plugin modes faster.
And it was about this dialog that I wrote above:
"2) this dialog is not described there in any way"

And by the way! here we once again come to the conclusion that it is completely incomprehensible why the help is almost completely missing auxiliary pictures that help understand and correlate the text help with the reality of open windows / dialogs / menus, for which I wanted to read the help.
#146217 personal license