PE Viewer 3.0

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: PE Viewer 3.0

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-10-27, 18:38 UTCLet's say one file has FileInfo showing only two present, but problematic libraries, and this plugin writes about the absence of all.
Although the plugin marks the module in red and counts it towards missing, clicking on that module will show whether or not the module is missing or just some exports from that particular module. That's why I said, one can get the same information from it.

NB: For statically imported modules it doesn't matter if just some functions are missing or the module is missing entirely - in both cases the program won't start. It's fine for delayed and dynamically loaded modules/functions though.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 11:39 UTC Although the plugin marks the module in red and counts it towards missing, clicking on that module will show whether or not the module is missing or just some exports from that particular module. That's why I said, one can get the same information from it.
You are describing how it should be, not what is presented before my eyes. It doesn't show nested modules at all, it only shows imported API functions, in this case, everything.
Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 11:39 UTC It's fine for delayed and dynamically loaded modules/functions though.
If I'm not mistaken, in FileInfo such modules are marked with an hourglass.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-10-28, 12:18 UTCYou are describing how it should be, not what is presented before my eyes.
Then maybe you need glasses ;). In all seriousness though, I just assumed PE Viewer 3.0 to show the same output as its predecessor, version 2.0. Although it's almost the same, there are subtle differences. Missing modules are shown in red (like in 2.0), modules with missing exports are shown in a yellow/brown-ish color. Black text means everything is there.
It doesn't show nested modules at all, it only shows imported API functions, in this case, everything.
Why do you need nested modules for this?
If I'm not mistaken, in FileInfo such modules are marked with an hourglass.
I assume PE Viewer 3.0 tries to do the same thing, but it doesn't work for me. It just shows a square, probably because it tries to read an hourglass character from some font that doesn't exist on Win7. It works in version 2.0.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 12:54 UTCThen maybe you need glasses ;)
I don't need any glasses, because I am stating the fact of what I have described in relation to a single file. You describe what should be in all cases, but in fact it does not work everywhere. I wrote about it, in case you didn't understand.
Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 12:54 UTC In all seriousness though, I just assumed PE Viewer 3.0 to show the same output as its predecessor, version 2.0.
What for? We didn't discuss version 2.
Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 12:54 UTCWhy do you need nested modules for this?
If a problematic module is specified, then a problematic submodule is indicated at some depth (the MaxDepth key is responsible for it), which can potentially be replaced.
Dalai wrote: 2023-10-28, 12:54 UTCI assume PE Viewer 3.0 tries to do the same thing, but it doesn't work for me. It just shows a square, probably because it tries to read an hourglass character from some font that doesn't exist on Win7. It works in version 2.0.
Squares in PE Viewer 3 appear on all problematic modules, regardless of the color marking. In FileInfo, problematic modules are marked with a red or yellow icon, and an hourglass probably marks a long analysis. If the first and last module in some branch is marked with an hourglass, then there may be modules without them between them.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
iteg

Post by *iteg »

It's desirable to have font and color settings similar to csvtab, odbc-wlx, sqlite-wlx, xmltab.
How to change the font color and size is described in the help file "ReadMe_eng.txt" (from the Settings\Help menu or plugin folder) in the "Configuration file:" section. The settings are not as rich as in the listed plugins.
FileInfo has very useful tabs [Dll Dependency] and [Activex /OCX]. It would be great if the same thing appeared here.
I have planned the functionality of the [Activex /OCX] tab, but I’m still looking for a way to implement it.

The functionality of the [Dll Dependency] tab is implemented only for the first level of modules. Yes, this is the same functionality from "PE Viewer 2" with corrected errors and correct display of deferred modules. If multi-level analysis is required, then describe the problematic task and send files for analysis and implementation of functionality.
A description of the module status values ​​is available in the help file "ReadMe_eng.txt" (from the Settings\Help menu) in the "Export / Import form" section. Unicode characters and their colors are used for statuses. The plugin uses the "Segoe UI Regular" font. Tested on Windows 8, the symbols are displayed correctly. Presumably the font needs to be updated for Windows 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/an-update-for-the-segoe-ui-symbol-font-in-windows-7-and-in -windows-server-2008-r2-is-available-0743a473-3afe-e8b2-7c20-54aa430463d6). Windows 7 uses the "Segoe UI Regular" font version 5.05, and Windows 8 uses version 5.32.
"PE Viewer 2" uses icons instead of Unicode characters.

Example of displaying a deferred module with a missing function, https://ibb.co/0GF1G6d. Made from Windows 11 22H2.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

iteg wrote: 2023-11-01, 10:37 UTCThe plugin uses the "Segoe UI Regular" font. Tested on Windows 8, the symbols are displayed correctly. Presumably the font needs to be updated for Windows 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/an-update-for-the-segoe-ui-symbol-font-in-windows-7-and-in -windows-server-2008-r2-is-available-0743a473-3afe-e8b2-7c20-54aa430463d6). Windows 7 uses the "Segoe UI Regular" font version 5.05, and Windows 8 uses version 5.32.
IMHO you shouldn't expect users to install or update anything to make such a detail work. Furthermore, the plugin also works on XP, so you're out of luck there anyway. The plugin might also be used on WinPE systems which might not have this font (and the characters in the font) available and such environments don't allow to install/update anything, so it won't work there either.

You could provide an option to show icons or bitmaps instead.
"PE Viewer 2" uses icons instead of Unicode characters.
Well, icons always work, regardless of any installed fonts and font (character) substitution Windows might make without the application knowing about it...

Here are some bugs I noticed when (superficially) testing the plugin:
  1. The splitter positions are not saved - or rather restored - in the Export/Import and Sections/Headers tabs. The plugin writes them to its INI but opening the plugin again resets the splitter positions to their defaults. On XP it's even worse because the Export area is much too small; no idea why.
  2. The column widths are also not saved or restored properly.
  3. The vertical splitter's behavior in the Export/Import tab is also wrong, as Fla$her already pointed out - dragging it to the left makes it go right and vice versa. And its position can't be chosen freely.
PE Viewer 2.0 also has its problems with the first two points.

Lastly, I have a question: Is it possible to disable the Beveled flag on the splitters? I really don't like that many lines on such a small space, and I'm also used to the clean splitters of PE Viewer 2 (and TC itself).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

iteg wrote: 2023-11-01, 10:37 UTC How to change the font color and size is described in the help file "ReadMe_eng.txt" (from the Settings\Help menu or plugin folder) in the "Configuration file:" section. The settings are not as rich as in the listed plugins.
It doesn't make much sense to change the font color if there is no way to change the background color. It would be great if similar settings are implemented, as in those plugins for two modes.
iteg wrote: 2023-11-01, 10:37 UTC I have planned the functionality of the [Activex /OCX] tab, but I’m still looking for a way to implement it.
This is to the question "What news do you need first, good or bad?". :lol:
iteg wrote: 2023-11-01, 10:37 UTCIf multi-level analysis is required, then describe the problematic task and send files for analysis and implementation of functionality.
I can't say that I'm facing this right now, so there's a problem with finding files. And in general, I gave explanations above:
If a problematic module is specified, then a problematic submodule is indicated at some depth (the MaxDepth key is responsible for it), which can potentially be replaced.
2Dalai
I agree with your post. I only didn't understand about the "Beveled Flag". Show it in the screenshot, please.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-11-02, 11:00 UTCI only didn't understand about the "Beveled Flag". Show it in the screenshot, please.
Pretty sure Delphi programmers know this Splitter property. But anyway, I made two screenshots showing the difference in the Import/Export tab:
PE Viewer 2.0
PE Viewer 3.x

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Looks like the mentioned flag concerns the overall rendered view of pseudo 3D-panels?
like on this test form: http://beluch.ru/progr/100comp/gif/7_1.gif
#146217 personal license
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Dalai
It's advisable that you point with an arrow. I can't grasp the essence of beveling.
If you are talking about the extra stripe, then I saw this difference, and I agree that it is worth getting rid of it.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
iteg

Post by *iteg »

Dalai and Fla$her, thanks for participating in the project and your suggestions!

1) I'll leave the use of Unicode characters instead of icons for now. I'll redo it when I have time.
2) The width of the columns automatically adjusts to the width of the content. So I don't see the point in keeping the column widths the same.

The next version will do:
1) Saving and restoring the position of splitters has been implemented.
2) Fixed restrictions for splitters so that they do not jump from side to side.
3) The "Beveled" property for splitters is disabled.
4) Added the ability to change the background color of controls.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2iteg
See what's a better way to replace the save dialog in XP. There is no such problem in 2.0:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Totalcmd
TFileOpenDialog requires Windows Vista or later.
ОК   
I also ask that folders on the Resources tab expand with a single click on the names, as it was in 2.0.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
iteg

Post by *iteg »

2Fla$her
See what's a better way to replace the save dialog in XP. There is no such problem in 2.0:
I tested the plugin only on Windows 7/8.1/10/11. Added the problem to the ToDo list.
I also ask that folders on the Resources tab expand with a single click on the names, as it was in 2.0.
This is standard Windows control behavior. Take a look at how this is implemented in Explorer. This behavior is the same for the "Sections / Headers" and "Signatures" tabs as well. But I fixed the small size of the node arrows.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2iteg
Take a look at how this is implemented in Explorer. This behavior is the same for the "Sections / Headers" and "Signatures" tabs as well.
In my opinion, one of the tasks of the plugin is to do at least no worse at all stages than in the previous analogue. Focusing on the explorer interface is a wrong idea, IMHO. It's important to achieve greater usability here.
On the "Sections / Headers" tab, it would also be nice to display headings for a single click in the list.

I see that the plugin now selects the color for the two modes itself, which, of course, conflicts with the current TC color settings.
For example, the background in standard mode has the color of relief objects and controls everywhere except the active tab.
I am waiting for an optional improvement of the color settings that I suggested earlier.

I also observe new symbols to indicate sorting on active tabs. I think we need to find something prettier. For example, like TC himself.

Thanks for bug fixes.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
TychoBarfy

Post by *TychoBarfy »

2iteg
I have created a German lang file for PEViewer 3, which can always be downloaded here: PEViewer3_German.zip