How to add Widgets / home screen shortcuts in Android 13?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

How to add Widgets / home screen shortcuts in Android 13?

Post by *seb- »

Hey,
haven't been here in a long time totalcmd on win and android just work :-)

I looked around but couldn't find anything in the forum, sorry if I've just been too blind...

I got a new Xiaomi13Pro running on Android 13.
So far on my other phones I could place widgets/shortcuts on the homescreen that would start Total Commander for Android in a specific folder.

While this works great on my other Android 12 phones, I can't figure out how to set this up in v3.42 on Android 13.

As other Apps (e.g. Termux) also miss some widget/shortcut options that had worked well on A12, I wonder if Android13 changed something which prevents this?

Any hint is highly appreciated, thank you!
br
sebastian
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to add Widgets / home screen shortcuts in Android 13?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a Xiaomi problem, not Android 13. You can configure it to work like iPhones (all apps on home screen) or with app list (like regular Android). Only the latter supports widgets.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
seb-

Post by *seb- »

There are different modes. The Mode i setup generaly supports widgets. In fact i have a few widgets setup (Etar calendar, nextcloud notes, Termux shortcuts, etc.) but The "Shortcut" (i.e. 1x1 "click" widgets) that are possible to add in A12 are not even visible in the Widget list.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It sounds like your Xiaomi only supports widgets, but not shortcuts. What's the difference?
Widgets: They are like a separate window of the app, and get drawn by the app (the app has to be running). They can be larger than 1x1 icon.
Shortcuts: The app tells the launcher which image to display, and what to do when the user clicks on it. The app does not have to be running for this to work. The size is always 1x1 icon.

TC uses shortcuts because there is nothing interactive to draw, the icon always stays the same.
Maybe you can try creating them via TC's context menu if they aren't listed in the list of widgets?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
seb-

Post by *seb- »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-03, 09:33 UTC It sounds like your Xiaomi only supports widgets, but not shortcuts. What's the difference?
Widgets: They are like a separate window of the app, and get drawn by the app (the app has to be running). They can be larger than 1x1 icon.
Shortcuts: The app tells the launcher which image to display, and what to do when the user clicks on it. The app does not have to be running for this to work. The size is always 1x1 icon.

TC uses shortcuts because there is nothing interactive to draw, the icon always stays the same.
Maybe you can try creating them via TC's context menu if they aren't listed in the list of widgets?
This was all clear to me :wink: ...
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-03, 09:33 UTC Maybe you can try creating them via TC's context menu if they aren't listed in the list of widgets?
... and this was not. I did never notice this option in the context menu.

It seems to work fine on the Xiaomi device.

Thanks a lot for pointing me there :)