Sync dirs: Sticky current dir

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Sync dirs: Sticky current dir

Post by *Lefteous »

When working with directories containing to man files to fit on the screen, the current dir scrolls out of sight and we need to scroll up to see it, leaving the current field of view. What about always display the current dir on top of the list (when it has been scrolled out of view or always)?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Sync dirs: Sticky current dir

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Dont you mean SubFolder? as the CURRENT folder is always at the top of the sync dir screen? (source and target)
Hoecker sie sind raus!
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Lefteous wrote: 2023-07-02, 20:26 UTC What about always display the current dir on top of the list (... always)
I support this. In a extra status line above the header line (name size date <=> date size name). Only for information purposes (no click, no edit... simply a string with the current subfolder of the first line in the list view).
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-07-02, 22:04 UTC Dont you mean SubFolder? as the CURRENT folder is always at the top of the sync dir screen? (source and target)
By current folder I actually the current* subfolder.

* and by current I meant the sub folder which corresponds to the current scroll position of the compare result list, not the electrical current 8)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I tried to illustrate this a bit better: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/b_fLUpFvyr8
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

Support+
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++ if feasible
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

The problem will be with this variant, if the directory is for example provided with a button, you mark files also that are not visible above the directory display, which is not expected. Same for deleting etc.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-07-06, 05:53 UTC The problem will be with this variant, if the directory is for example provided with a button, you mark files also that are not visible above the directory display, which is not expected. Same for deleting etc.
The operation in the "current sub-path" bar always affects all contained files. TC currently performs a scroll up to the "current sub-path" bar which also means the first files in the folder are displayed, which is already very much "sticky-like", in order to display as many contained files as possible. But in the end, now and also with this feature implemented not all affected files are displayed for larger folders. For me it would be just fine to keep the current behavior (scroll to the first file) when clicking on the bar.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Lefteous wrote: 2023-07-07, 07:53 UTCTC currently performs a scroll up to the "current sub-path" bar
? Can you demonstrate what you mean with a video with the current Tc version, please.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Maybe this was phrased inccorectly. I meant when clicking the "current sub-path" which is located somehwere in the view position of the list, it is moved to the top of the view position of the list, displaying also the first files of the contained files. Hopefully my explanation saves me from producing such a video :lol:
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Here it doesn't do that by clicking on a sub-dir
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Lefteous wrote: 2023-07-07, 14:11 UTCI meant when clicking the "current sub-path" which is located somehwere in the view position of the list, it is moved to the top of the view position of the list, displaying also the first files of the contained files.
? This does not work here:

- 1. Maybe I'm handle it wrong.
- 2. Maybe you have a special version of Tc?
- 3. Perhaps you have a special tool in the background that manages such Windows lists
- 4. Maybe it's the father's wish of behavior
- 5. Maybe it's magic

My guess is #3. Or #1?

Joube

Edit: Ah, I've tried it a bit differently now: and something happens here. If I right-click, the list jumps up a bit. And not at the top, if the list in the directory is shorter. And only the first time.

Ps.: But frankly, changing so fundamentally function doesn't feel comfortable (especially after recent experience of touching fundamental functions in the TC11 betas):

I would therefore prefer if the current subdir were simply displayed in the top-right free space in the area between the buttons.

This would be nice and easy to implement. But even more I need the number of "directories read" in this area - simply as a number - as i suggested (but apparently no one cares but me)

J.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When you right click on a path in synchronize dirs, all files in that path will be selected, and the list scrolls up if the list reaches below the currently visible area.
changing so fundamentally function doesn't feel comfortable
I agree, especially this late in the beta test.
I would therefore prefer if the current subdir were simply displayed in the top-right free space in the area between the buttons.
Shouldn't that be shown in the footer?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com