[TC11b10] "Add to Submenu" dropdown list functionality lost

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gbirman

[TC11b10] "Add to Submenu" dropdown list functionality lost

Post by *gbirman »

The "Add to Submenu" dropdown list of available Submenus when adding a new directory to the Directory Hotlist was lost either in Beta 9 or Beta 10. Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC11b10] "Add to Submenu" dropdown list functionality lost

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Confirmed for the 64-bit version only.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

I've never used this feature and am trying it out for the first time because I didn't know it and wondered if it might be useful to me. But unfortunately it is completely buggy for my application of the directory hotlist (up to 5 nested levels), disturbs the menu *) and is therefore currently unusable for me: But this is an issue for after the release of Tc11, because it has probably been like this for a long time ago.

joube

*) but I have current backups of it and can restore them.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2JOUBE
Sorry, I don't understand your report.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-10, 07:15 UTC 2JOUBESorry, I don't understand your report.
It's simple: the dir menu is completely changed/destroyed if I use this feature. The structure of the submenus is changed, many cmdnnn= lines are moved to the end of the section. I stopped immediately and imported a backup of the redirected section.

And that for just insert one line menunnn=... (and then increase the numbers nnn by one of the entries with numbers above it.)

Maybe it has something to do with the expansion from 1000 to 2000 entries in the Tc11 betas? Then it might be easy to fix it before the release of Tc11. I myself now actually have more than 1000 entries.

Otherwise I'll come back to this issue after Tc11 release, ok? (and possibly send you then a depersonalized (which is a lot of work at >1000 enties) dir-menu section to understand and test the problem)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please send me your [dirmenu] section to cghisler at gmail dot com, and also send instructions to which subfolder you tried to add a new entry.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

This will take a while because of changing all entries to non-personal. I don't know if i had enough time for that in the moment. And not today. Later i will try it with sed (gnu)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should work again in RC1, please test it!
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

No, it does not work.

Numerous cmdXXX= lines are extracted from the existing structure and simply moved to the end of the section. This is not useful because the overview in the section is lost because the lines menuXXX= and cmdXXX= are no longer directly below each other. Please revise (in "configuring" everything works perfectly, that should also be possible here)

joube
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it does not work.
What exactly doesn't work?
Numerous cmdXXX= lines are extracted from the existing structure and simply moved to the end of the section.
The order in an ini section does NOT matter and does not prevent the correct working of the function. If you need a specific order for manuallyediting the file, just open the user menu settings and save them. This will recreate the entire section instead of just saving the changed entries.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-14, 09:35 UTC
No, it does not work.
What exactly doesn't work?
The internal structure of the section is changed after using this. menuXXX= and cmdXXX= are torn apart and stored in different places. This means that this section can no longer be edited with a normal editor. (didn*t I write that already?). It was always a strength of TC that the configuration could be edited with an editor. This is even provided for wincmd.ini in the main menu. Or not? Or do you want to leave this principle? Then from now on you would have to make _all_ options of the Tc configurable via the configuration dialog.
ghisler(Author) post_id[quote=ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-14, 09:35 UTC
Numerous cmdXXX= lines are extracted from the existing structure and simply moved to the end of the section.
The order in an ini section does NOT matter and does not prevent the correct working of the function. If you need a specific order for manuallyediting the file, just open the user menu settings and save them. This will recreate the entire section instead of just saving the changed entries.
See my comment above. Why do you take your customers time by having to call up a second function so that the customers can edit the section again with an editor. Instead of briefly calling this function itself within the program when the insertion is complete?

If you write "The order in an ini section does NOT matter", you mean, for you (or the tc itself), and not for your customers. But the Tc is not an end in itself, but simply a tool that should serve the customer as well as possible.

Joube
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The internal structure of the section is changed after using this.
But it still works, right!
Why do you take your customers time by having to call up a second function
I don't do this on purpose: The Windows function to write single strings to ini files doesn't allow to choose where to insert a string. The only way to do this would be to erase the entire section and write it new. That's what I do in the dialog box.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-14, 10:26 UTC
The internal structure of the section is changed after using this.
But it still works, right!
Yes, it works. But not "still", because before the changes in Tc11rc1, it was buggy.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-14, 10:26 UTC
Why do you take your customers time by having to call up a second function
I don't do this on purpose: The Windows function to write single strings to ini files doesn't allow to choose where to insert a string. The only way to do this would be to erase the entire section and write it new. That's what I do in the dialog box.
But the "Configure" function only needs a short time if you call it up manually. Isn't it possible to simply add this function internally in the program after inserting it without making any changes at other points of the source code?

But to give the whole thing a different accent: The improvement that "configuration" now jumps to the last working position when called up again is really a big improvement. I've used it a lot since Tc11RC1. (And thanks to them, manual editing with an external editor is sometimes no longer required as often). Thanks for that new feature (DirMenuLast=XXX).

Joube
gbirman

Post by *gbirman »

Hello Christian,

As for my first post - I can confirm that the issue has indeed been fixed in RC1 as you reported on July 13th.
The dropdownlist of available submenus in the Directory Hotlist is operational again.
Many thanks!!
Gadi Birman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will move the thread to fixed bugs.
Regarding the sort order, I will check whether I can save the section as a whole.