Will there ever be a TC Linux version?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GusTech

Will there ever be a TC Linux version?

Post by *GusTech »

Hello!

Will there ever be a TC version for Linux? Wine with TC is not quite the same.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC Linux version?

Post by *karlchen »

GusTech wrote: 2023-07-26, 21:25 UTCWill there ever be a TC version for Linux?
Christian Ghisler has answered this question more than once in the past. The answer has always been "No."
The file-manager Double Commander is available on Linux as a genuine Linux application.
At the moment you cannot come any closer to "T.C. on Linux" than Double Commander.
Still, even D.C. on Linux is not quite the same as T.C.
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The main reason is that a lot of the functionality of Total Commander is within the plugins. They would all have to be rewritten for Linux, which is extremely unlikely to ever happen. When you look at the available 64-bit plugins, there are still a lot missing which were never ported from 32-bit, although it's often just a simple recompile. If you need any specific plugins on Linux, you can now use the Windows version via Wine. Otherwise I personally recommend the file manager "Krusader".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-27, 09:39 UTC The main reason is that a lot of the functionality of Total Commander is within the plugins.
I think that is a weird statement. It sounds lik you are suggesting that Total Commander has limited value without plugins.
Personally, I don't use any plugins and I think many people don't too. The basic functionality has plenty value. Plugins are extra.
GusTech

Post by *GusTech »

[/quote]
karlchen wrote: 2023-07-27, 07:55 UTC
GusTech wrote: 2023-07-26, 21:25 UTCWill there ever be a TC version for Linux?
Christian Ghisler has answered this question more than once in the past. The answer has always been "No."
The file-manager Double Commander is available on Linux as a genuine Linux application.
At the moment you cannot come any closer to "T.C. on Linux" than Double Commander.
Still, even D.C. on Linux is not quite the same as T.C.
Hello there!

Thanks for the reply. This has probably been answered before and I logged in here for the first time yesterday. Couldn't find any other posts on the subject on the fly so thought I'd ask with my first post here =)

I have other options in linux that work fine, was just a question as I like TC the best. Went straight from NC to TC(WC) which I have used for over 20++ years.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-27, 09:39 UTC The main reason is that a lot of the functionality of Total Commander is within the plugins. They would all have to be rewritten for Linux, which is extremely unlikely to ever happen. When you look at the available 64-bit plugins, there are still a lot missing which were never ported from 32-bit, although it's often just a simple recompile. If you need any specific plugins on Linux, you can now use the Windows version via Wine. Otherwise I personally recommend the file manager "Krusader".
Totally get it, I think it's absolutely incredible that there are still updates and developments! As with many other things, the good old stuff disappears. Keep up the good work!!
NoSubstitute

Post by *NoSubstitute »

In Linux, and on macOS, I mainly use Midnight Commander. Mostly because I use MC in the Terminal only.
Never even tried running TC via emulators on either system.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-27, 09:39 UTC The main reason is that a lot of the functionality of Total Commander is within the plugins.
Sorry to butt in, but there's an extremely high likelihood that these plugins aren't available for Linux, because TC isn't. Not the other way round like you seem to be suggesting.

Perhaps the mere existence of TC on Linux (natively) will be enough motivation and encouragement for some of the plugins to take the same step.

Nevertheless, a plugin-less TC would be a massive step forwards in the motivation to finally get around to switching to Linux.

You could also take a totally different turn for plugins: allow them to be written in an architecture-agnostic framework, like Python or Javascript. This will also solve the x64 availability challenge you mentioned (not to mention TC for Windows on ARM).
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Thany wrote: 2023-08-29, 15:28 UTC
Sorry to butt in, but there's an extremely high likelihood that these plugins aren't available for Linux, because TC isn't. Not the other way round like you seem to be suggesting.

Perhaps the mere existence of TC on Linux (natively) will be enough motivation and encouragement for some of the plugins to take the same step.

Nevertheless, a plugin-less TC would be a massive step forwards in the motivation to finally get around to switching to Linux.

You could also take a totally different turn for plugins: allow them to be written in an architecture-agnostic framework, like Python or Javascript. This will also solve the x64 availability challenge you mentioned (not to mention TC for Windows on ARM).
Tc is running without any problems under Linux (via wine), there are no disadvantages. On the contrary, even the SFTP plugin, for example, can be used under Linux. So there is no reason to port it. And what is special about 'native'? Native is over and out. ;-)

joube
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-29, 15:37 UTCTc is running without any problems under Linux (via wine), there are no disadvantages.
Yes, there are disadvantages. Due to the translation layer, it's a lot slower and/or causes much higher CPU usage than a native program, especially for resource intensive tasks that involve GUI updates, networking and disk access. Also, hotkeys like Ctrl+Alt+Fx won't work because they're usually caught by the system. These things are not specific to TC or even Windows programs running in Wine. Nonetheless they should be named rather than saying "everything is fine", IMO.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Galizza

Post by *Galizza »

As Christian said Krusader is a good alternative for Linux.
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

Code: Select all

Krusader
Midnight Commander
Double Commander
I have personally tried all of them and the most Total Commander-ish (and my fave) is Double Commander, by far. It even accepts wcx, wlx, wdx plugins (compiled for linux, it has to be said). But operation, navigation and file operations are almost (if not) identical
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
pdossi

Total Commander for Linux

Post by *pdossi »

Hi All,
sorry if that question could be asked various times, but i can't understand why TC is not available for Linux distro, as it it available for Android

thanks - P
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander for Linux

Post by *Horst.Epp »

And whey don't you search the forums first.
Get the answers from it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.3 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander for Linux

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-11-10, 12:13 UTC

pdossi wrote: 2023-11-10, 12:01 UTC sorry if that question could be asked various times, but i can't understand why TC is not available for Linux distro, as it it available for Android
Merged with existing thread about the subject.
ncherkasov

Re: Will there ever be a TC Linux version?

Post by *ncherkasov »

It would be still so wonderful to have a proper Linux version...
With windows 11 on the horizon, I just cannot force myself to enjoy all of it - the spyware, making the interface usable, navigating into new mangled menus... If I have to do all of it, it may be better to go Linux. Most of the software works there. Except for the Total Commander :(