Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [BUG]TC 11RC3 - Tasten.Txt "format" is differently to Keyboard.Txt

Post by *petermad »

2white
It is there. See my screenshot above.
Yes it is there in the Help, but not in Tasten.txt - I will add it and look at the inconsistencies you show in your screenshot too.
Last edited by petermad on 2023-07-29, 23:51 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2white

New version https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/keyboardTasten2.zip with the changes from the screenshot https://i.ibb.co/wC7wNB6/TC1100rc3-Help-Command-line-keys.png incorporated

I hope I got keyboard.txt, tasten.txt and English and German help in sync now.

Please check this new text in tasten.txt and German cmdline.htm:
STRG+CURSORDOWN oder ALT+F8
Eine Liste mit den zuletzt eingegebenen Befehlen (History-Liste)
wird aufgeklappt. Halten die STRG-Taste gedrückt und wählen mit der
Pfeiltasten auf und ab einen Befehl aus, der dann durch Betätigen
der Pfeiltasten links und rechts bearbeitet werden kann. Dabei
schließt automatisch die Liste.
It is more tha 54 years since I learned German, so I am pretty rusty in German.

Original German text:
STRG+CURSORDOWN oder ALT+F8
Eine Liste mit den zuletzt eingegebenen Befehlen (History-Liste) wird aufgeklappt.
Durch wiederholtes Betätigen dieser Tastenkombination kann ein Befehl ausgewählt werden,
der dann durch Betätigen der Pfeiltasten links und rechts bearbeitet werden kann. Dabei
schließt automatisch die Liste.

English text:
CTRL+CURSORDOWN or ALT+F8
A list with the latest command lines (history-list) is opened. Hold down
the CTRL key and use the up and down cursor keys to select an entry. By
pressing the left or right key, you can edit the command line. This
automatically closes the list.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2petermad
I think it's OK now. However, I think Christian can't use your .htm files directly and has to apply all the changes therein himself.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your efforts to improve the keyboard file! I have one small correction - the German section "Cursortasten" should be changed slightly to:
Cursor links und Cursor rechts bewegen den Cursor innerhalb der
Kommandozeile, auch wenn er vorher im Quellverzeichnis stand.
Wenn Ansicht "Kurz" eingestellt ist (nur Dateinamen), so bewegen alle
Pfeiltasten durch das Verzeichnisfenster. Für die Kommandozeile
muss dann UMSCH gedrückt werden. Cursor auf und Cursor ab bewegen
den Cursorbalken im Quellverzeichnis, auch wenn er vorher in der
Eingabezeile stand.
I don't think that we need to change the section about STRG+CURSORDOWN in the German version. The two describe the same, just in a slightly different way.
I think Christian can't use your .htm files directly and has to apply all the changes therein himself.
It's not a big problem, I was able to use compare by content with the html files from the previous version. I had to make the tabs a bit larger in keyboard.htm to fit the change to uppercase of "UMSCH" (was: "Umsch"). Please check whether I got it right:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/beta/totalcmdd_chm_1100.zip

I did keep the coloring of links+rechts and the bold ENTER in cmdline.htm, though.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-30, 18:22 UTC Please check whether I got it right:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/beta/totalcmdd_chm_1100.zip

I did keep the coloring of links+rechts and the bold ENTER in cmdline.htm, though.
  1. You didn't remove ", ähnlich wie bei der Kommandozeile eines bekannten Commanders für DOS" at the top, which is an outdated text and inconsistent with English help.
  2. Keeping ENTER bold and not making "via Windows-Shell" bold is inconsistent with English help and the English help makes more sense.
  3. Description of "STRG+CURSORDOWN oder ALT+F8" is not changed. This description is incorrect and inconsistent with the English help. And petermad's coloring makes everything consistent and come together.
  4. Inconsistent coloring of "Cursor links" is kept,why? petermad's version looks much better.
  5. You didn't include the English help, does that mean you didn't change the English help?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You didn't remove ", ähnlich wie bei der Kommandozeile eines bekannten Commanders für DOS" at the top, which is an outdated text and inconsistent with English help.
Keeping ENTER bold and not making "via Windows-Shell" bold is inconsistent with English help and the English help makes more sense.
Description of "STRG+CURSORDOWN oder ALT+F8" is not changed. This description is incorrect and inconsistent with the English help. And petermad's coloring makes everything consistent and come together.
Inconsistent coloring of "Cursor links" is kept,why? petermad's version looks much better.
I agree with all of this.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. I didn't see this change because I didn't scroll far enough right in compare by content.
2. I'm referring to a key, maybe I should make it red like left/right, instead of bold?
3. His German wasn't perfect, and I fear that we would discuss about this for weeks if I changed it. Seems I was right even if I didn't change it. :(
A better text would be "Eine Liste mit den zuletzt eingegebenen Befehlen wird aufgeklappt. Durch wiederholtes Betätigen der Pfeiltasten auf und ab (mit oder ohne STRG-Taste) kann ein Befehl ausgewählt werden, der dann durch Betätigen der Pfeiltasten links und rechts bearbeitet werden kann. Dabei schließt automatisch die Liste.".
4. I don't understand. Cursor links is red both on my help and his. Please explain.
5. The changes were minor.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-31, 07:17 UTC 2. I'm referring to a key, maybe I should make it red like left/right, instead of bold?
No, you used bold for emphasis, and you used red for keys that were not mentioned at the left, but only explained in the text at the right.
The word "ENTER" doesn't need to be bold and wasn't bold in the English help.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-31, 07:17 UTC 3. His German wasn't perfect, and I fear that we would discuss about this for weeks if I changed it. Seems I was right even if I didn't change it. :(
A better text would be "Eine Liste mit den zuletzt eingegebenen Befehlen wird aufgeklappt. Durch wiederholtes Betätigen der Pfeiltasten auf und ab (mit oder ohne STRG-Taste) kann ein Befehl ausgewählt werden, der dann durch Betätigen der Pfeiltasten links und rechts bearbeitet werden kann. Dabei schließt automatisch die Liste.".
The text indeed wasn't perfect. I now see that the English text he translated is also incorrect and needs to be changed.
I suggest to change the German text to:
Eine Liste mit den zuletzt eingegebenen Befehlen wird aufgeklappt. Verwenden Sie die Pfeiltasten auf und ab um einen Befehl auszuwählen, der dann durch Betätigen der Pfeiltasten links und rechts bearbeitet werden kann. Dabei schließt automatisch die Liste.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-31, 07:17 UTC 4. I don't understand. Cursor links is red both on my help and his. Please explain.
Then you provided the wrong download link.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-31, 07:17 UTC 5. The changes were minor.
Please include it, so we can check if the inconsistencies are solved.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Make sure you compare to the latest version: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/keyboardTasten2.zip
3. His German wasn't perfect, and I fear that we would discuss about this for weeks if I changed it. Seems I was right even if I didn't change it. :(
It describes the functionality more accurately. "Auf" and "ab" should be in red like here above.

Then the English text should also be changed to something like:
"A list with the latest command lines (history-list) is opened. Hold down the up and down cursor keys (with or without the CTRL key) to select an entry. By pressing the left or right key, you can edit the command line. This automatically closes the list."

4. I don't understand. Cursor links is red both on my help and his. Please explain.
See https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/commandkeysdeu.png
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shouldn't the English text be more like this?
Use the up and down cursor keys (with or without the CTRL key) to select an entry.
Regarding "Cursor links", it is red in the editor but not in the CHM. It's probably because in the editor
"Cursortasten Cursor links" is set to red together. It seems to work when I set the tab character to black between the two.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-31, 08:36 UTC Shouldn't the English text be more like this?
Use the up and down cursor keys (with or without the CTRL key) to select an entry.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said the text in the English help is wrong. Personally, I think you can leave out the "(with or without the CTRL key)".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have put together the new help files with the suggested changes. I hope that I didn't miss any this time:
https://www.totalcommander.ch/beta/totalcmd_chm_1100_rev2.zip
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

That's also good and more concise.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
The Command line page looks good now and seems to be consistent between the English and German help.

The Keyboard page has inconsistencies between the English and the German help - the order of some items and a missing ENTF after UMSCH+F8
See: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/keyboardengdeu.png

Maybe "STRG+<" should be moved down under "STRG+links/rechts" and in the English version "CTRL+<" and "CTRL+\" should be moved down under "CTRL+left/right" - that would seem more logical.

And maybe it is the "ALT+left/right" , "ALT+down" and "ALT+SHIFT+down" items in The English help that should be move up under "ALT+SHIFT+F12", and not the German help that should be changed for these 3 items.

Don't forget to update keyboard.txt and tasten.txt accordingly to these recent changes
License #524 (1994)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

petermad wrote: 2023-07-31, 09:52 UTC The Command line page looks good now and seems to be consistent between the English and German help.
Yes, looks much better. Only, the word "via" in "via Windows shell" is bold in the English help and not in the German Help.