Create file and open with Notepad++ fails

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Create file and open fails

Post by *JOUBE »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-08-03, 11:30 UTC
JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-02, 05:06 UTC This is a Tc bug.
white wrote: 2023-08-03, 09:53 UTC In this particular case, it is a workaround for a bug in Notepad++ that solves the problem described in the topic start.
So it IS a np++ bug :twisted:
Please be careful with such assertions that could fall back on the Tc. The TC should get his role in the software world right if he wants to speak with other programs.

ghisler(author)'s answer is this:
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-08-03, 11:25 UTC I wouldn't call the behavior of notepad++ a bug, just an unexpected misbehavior. Windows does not allow dots at the end of names, although the underlying NTFS file system supports it. Using the prefix "\\?\" tells Windows to ignore its rules and just pass the name to the file system unchanged. But TC didn't pass the name with \\?\ prefix to notepad++, so it shouldn't ignore the Windows rules.
Edit (Addition): .. and the bug in the TC is that it expects something from the opposite program that - for whatever reason - does not fulfill it *) and then hardcodes it and does not give the TC user the opportunity to configure it according to his requirements.

An example: I usually rename notepad++.exe to npp.exe for certain reasons and still want the Tc and this editor to work together in this case (new file without extension). This is not possible even after the quick fix because of the hard coding. Something unsuitable is being forced on the user here.

*) this can happen with any of the editors mentioned above after an update, or windows completely cut off this way directly to NTFS, and none of this works under other file systems (if I anderstand it right)?
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Create file and open with Notepad++ fails

Post by *JOUBE »

After similar topics appeared in another thread, I would like to clarify something, maybe only for myself but hopefully also for others. If there are problems of the Tc with an external program or with a plugin, then the following should be clear, especially when it comes to programs and plugins that are made available free of charge. Each of these external programs is completely free to decide which features it implements, whether it removes or changes functions. Whether it fixes problems or not. If the TC wants to speak to these programs or plugins, the TC always has to adapt to the external program.

In the case of the Tc fix requested in this thread in the first posting, it was probably like this, which I neither know for sure nor have checked, that Tc-forum-user white failed to convince ghisler(author) to make a change in interest ot the communication with notepad++.exe and he turned to the notepad++.exe forum instead. Of course this seems for me not a good way. If the TC wants to speak with an external program, the TC always has to adapt, in the interests of its users. Especially since the Tc costs money. Some users including ghisler(Author) apparently sometimes simply misjudge the role of the Tc in the software world and perhaps only the interest of an external author to think about special features of operating systems apart from the task of his program or even to familiarize himself with them. There is simply a difference in interests. Intermediate updates of the TC would then simply have to be made, with appropriate adjustments. This should be possible after a few months at the latest Version of the Tc if there are problems.

Some Keywords about this in german are: Sich als Nabel der Welt sehen, Um sich selbst kreisen, Fanboys, betriebsblind.

Joube
Last edited by JOUBE on 2023-08-07, 07:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

2JOUBE
Make a symlink with the name notepad++.exe to your npp.exe.
And stop seeing you als der Nabel der Welt :)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-08-07, 08:51 UTC

Please remember to stay on topic and avoid discussing personal opinions about others.
Thank you.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-07, 07:31 UTC In the case of the Tc fix requested in this thread in the first posting, it was probably like this, which I neither know for sure nor have checked, that Tc-forum-user white failed to convince ghisler(author) to make a change in interest ot the communication with notepad++.exe and he turned to the notepad++.exe forum instead.
No, that's not the case at all. Notepad++ worked fine with Total Commander, it had no problem with an added trailing dot for filenames without extension. At some point I issued a bug report for Notepad++ where Notepad++ would crash. This issue was fixed, but not in a good way. The purpose of the fix was to prevent the crash and display an error message instead. The purpose was not to disable something that was working perfectly fine in Notepad++. This was an unforeseen side effect of the fix. When I noticed this, I issued another report for this regression. The developers of Notepad++ have been slow to fix this and to release a new version. Mr. Ghisler provided a workaround for this problem in Total Commander 11.00.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-08-07, 07:31 UTC If the TC wants to speak to these programs or plugins, the TC always has to adapt to the external program.
WRONG!
If another program like n++ doesnt follow windows guidelines tc should not "fix" another authors inability to code properly :!:

if tc works with 99 programs fine and just one other program not, tc should NOT implement a "workaround" for that one program but the 1 program has to be fixed :!:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-08-07, 15:37 UTC tc should NOT implement a "workaround" for that one program but the 1 program has to be fixed :!:
Please submit your instruction in this style to ghisler(Author) directly, who provided his fix as a workaround.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Fix in version 8.5.5 of Notepad++
Fix regression of opening file rejection if file name contains dot at the end. (Fix #12849)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com