[Copy] possible to add button for "Resume All" ?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zyphos

[Copy] possible to add button for "Resume All" ?

Post by *zyphos »

Thank you for your awesome app!

I tried to copy a huge folder (+2000 files) from one place to another, but when the copy is interrupted, it is very difficult to resume if a file is partially copied when you have more than 100 files to copy.

Is it possible to add the button "Resume all" ? Or "replace smaller" files.
There is already "replace" and "replace all". But resume will only copy the file not fully copied before.

A sync would be perfect, but I read that is not possible with android (timestamp can not be changed)

If the space for a new button is not available, why not using a scrollable button panel ?
Another solution can be, after 3 press to the resume button (for 3 differents files), just after pressing the button, show a popup with button "apply to all" or "resume all".

Thank you in advance for any answer.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Copy] possible to add button for "Resume All" ?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You normally use resume to finish uploading or downloading a file which was partially transferred. Normally there aren't multiple files that need to be resumed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
zyphos

Post by *zyphos »

Thank you for your answer.

I was maybe not clear, my bad.

Here you can reproduce the problem:
1. Start to copy 1 folder from a remote place (Wifi transfer, sftp, ...) containing a lot of files (more than 32GB more than 3200 files).
2. Cut the link between the 2 places (disable wifi router or disable wifi on one of the 2 phones or simply stop Wifi server on one phone) will the copy is in progress. In reality the disruption may come from multiple way. (In my case, I needed to leave my home to go sport, I didn't now how much time was left to finish the copy)

At this point some files are copied, 1 is partially copied and others are not copied.
But you don't know which one is partially copied.

3. Re-do the all process, start to copy the same folder from the same remote place. Because a lot file aren't copied at this time + 1 is partially copied.
4. Total commander, when treating the first file is asking you to "Replace the file", "Replace all", "Resume", "Rename", "Skip the file", "Replace older",...
5. You select skip because the first file was fully copied. Or click resume to be sure not missing the partially copied file.
6. Same thing for the 2nd.
511. After looking at 510 files size (loosing 1h, and having a tendinitis at your finger) you finally found the partially copied file, you click on resume, ok, the copy continue automatically.

One solution is to use "Replace all" but if you have the another network disruption, you can do it again, and again, forever. (I tried another time with a USB OTG cable, I had another error after some files copied) Plus it is slowly destroying your SD card or SSD at each copy cycle.

The "resume all" button can be a game changer in this situation. You click once, and then just have to wait for the end of the copy job without losing to wait for already copied files.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, I see - TC should show where there was an error, or you could enable logging and check in there. But indeed it would be nice to have an option "Resume incomplete" or "Resume last".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Support++.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.