Failed to create file checksum on full drive

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MarekKnapek

Failed to create file checksum on full drive

Post by *MarekKnapek »

Hi, I have a little bit unusual setup. I have almost full drive and I want to create a file checksum (SHA-1, BLAKE3, that sort of thing). My problem is that computation of the checksum takes very long time (big file, slow drive) and when the drive is full (or almost full) TotalCommander fails to save the checksum and thus wastes my time waiting for the computation.

Why I have (almost) full drive with very large file in it? I'm using containers such as TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt containing a volume/partition. This volume is formatted with ExFAT filesystem with large cluster size (64k). This filesystem contains single large file spanning (almost) all the free capacity of the filesystem. This single large file is a VHD hard disk image. This VHD is formatted with GPT, has single volume/partition, this volume is formatted with NTFS FS (4k clusters) and this FS (finally) contains all of my data. (Yes, it is weird, don't ask.)

I wanted to compute file checksum of the VHD image. The free space to save this checksum was somewhere about 0-3 clusters (meaning 0k-192k, free space can change only in integer multiple of cluster size). TotalCommander computed the cecksum (took it long time), created the checksum file, but the file was empty and free volume space was zero. Meaning my time waiting for the checksum was wasted. And TotalCommander did not display any error message about failurte to save the checksum.
MarekKnapek

Re: Failed to create file checksum on full drive

Post by *MarekKnapek »

If you thing my setup is weird, you could consider USB flash drive stick instead. Filling it to the brim by some kind of (possibly encrypted) container file.
chandragor

Post by *chandragor »

But you can choose to save the checksum file on another drive/folder in the "Create CRC-checksum file" panel.
On a USB flash drive, for example.
Happy owner of license #12422 since 1997
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This should be fixed in Total Commander 11.02 RC1, please test it!
03.10.23 Fixed: Create checksums: No error was shown when the checksum file couldn't be written because the disk was full (32/64)
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bump.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-12, 09:37 UTCBump.
Checked with 11.02RC6 Tc32 on SD-Card 16GB: It is fixed (a message "Write error!" with the file name in a second line is shown).
Checked with 11.02RC6 Tc64 on SD-Card 16GB: It is fixed (a message "Write error!" with the file name in a second line is shown).

It's fixed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great, thanks!

Moderator message

Moved to fixed bugs