Tooltips exist only for FILEnames?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Tooltips exist only for FILEnames?

Post by *AntonyD »

IMHO, if I correctly understand current situation - tooltips for a long text, which does not fit into some borders - does work ONLY for the filenames?
For example If I create some custom columns mode with additional column X (in relation to the first two columns, name and extension, which are rigidly defined and always exist.) with initial width=80 - so when some text will be rendered inside the cell of this column and if its length will be MORE than 80 - then I will see only ellipsis on its end. And mouse hovering above this cell will not bring up the tooltip for the whole long text...
IMHO such case is a bug. TC always should produce tooltips for all text entities that are trimmed when displayed on the screen!
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Tooltips exist only for FILEnames?

Post by *petermad »

The tooltip ONLY shows the File name or Directory name, not any other column, custom or not. The extension is included in the tooltip no matter whether the extension is showed in it's own column or directly after the file name.

If you want a specific custom column value showed in the tooltip, you can add it to the tooltip under "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Display" -> "Help texts" -> "User-defined" -> [+] button, See: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/userdefinedtooltip.png

It cannot be considered a bug that the tooltip doesn't show truncated columns, the feature does what is described in the Help
Help wrote:Show filename in file list as tooltip if truncated
If a filename in the file list doesn't fit into the available space, Total Commander will show the full name in a hint window (tooltip) if you point to the name with the mouse for about 1 second. When clicking or double clicking the name, the tooltip is removed.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
Let's just say that because the help describes SOMETHING that whitewashes the current behavior does not entirely mean that this behavior is not a bug;). Because the program itself displays some text information in the column cells (we will use this term 'cell' - although we understand that there are no cells there...). We are talking specifically about the texts themselves in the lines! And if it displays it within certain limits, then app understands perfectly well that if the limits are exceeded, it is necessary to make some kind of user-friendly visual representation of FULL text information. And here, of course, there are two options - either to expand the width of the column (cell field), or to display a tooltip when hovering the mouse over a text object that was not entirely drawn in the column field...
And for some reason, no real improvement has been made in this regard yet. It is always recommended for everyone to just change the column width.
And no - your assumption about tooltips via the ( [+] button) is not necessary - once again - we are talking about simple text that does not fit into the current column boundaries!
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can use the "Win32 style tooltips" with user-defined extra fields to see columns which are too long.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2ghisler(Author)
stop, I don't get it... sorry, again, see: https://ibb.co/48tdDtT
The first ellipsis belongs to the filename. So IF i will hover by mouse cursor this cropped string - I will see the tooltip with the full filename.
That's ok - that's understandable. After that the extension 'PDF' we see. Skip this data cell. It doesn’t matter.
And next - you see 2 custom fields. 'Number of pages' and 'Title'. As you see: the 'Title' content I don't see the whole thing:
we have here the second ellipsis.
And there is no tooltip for this 'cell', cell which contains only pure TEXT info. That's NOT ok - that's NOT understandable.
Now what should do your suggestion about "Win32 style tooltips"? That option IS turned on at the Global Settings already by me.
And there is no auto-tooltip for such "cropped" text after this action....
#146217 personal license
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2AntonyD
As petermad already pointed out: tooltips are shown for the Name column only, not any other columns. In other words, there are no tooltips for cells, only for lines. It's just the way it is currently. There is no bug, it's a limitation or a design choice. I admit that I missed such tooltips myself a couple of times, so maybe it's time to implement such a feature.

The Win32 tooltips can be used to work around this limitation so that a user can set which information is shown for any file or directory when hovering the mouse cursor over them, but you have to set the pieces of information yourself, just like with custom columns.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

In other words, if I created a custom view with 10 custom columns, should I also create 10 custom Win32 tooltips? For each column?
And in each tooltip I would have to duplicate exactly the same 'field' from the custom column to which I'm linking this tooltip...
After all, I don't know which column when displaying text information suddenly will not have enough space to show the whole text.
Well, if yes = this is definitely not a limitation, it's definitely a bug. And it's clear that the developer will not agree with such position,
well, let's wait and hope that he will realize the fallacy of the chosen path.
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-09-15, 07:23 UTC well, let's wait and hope that he will realize the fallacy of the chosen path.
This is already answered: It's by design. This request (or whatever) is a typical suggestion and should be moved to the suggestion forum to discuss it there.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

JOUBE wrote: 2023-09-15, 08:11 UTC ... This is already answered: It's by design. This request (or whatever) is a typical suggestion
and should be moved to the suggestion forum to discuss it there.
What this looks like in real operation [or what it could look like in TC] can be seen in a current Everything 1.5 version.
EDIT: ... (Everything Options - 1.5.0.1356a (x64) > Advanced > Show settings containing: tooltip > listview_tooltips: true, tooltips: true).

Here, a tooltip is displayed for each field content that exceeds the displayed column width,
even for the self-defined columns.

Support ++
Last edited by tuska on 2023-09-15, 10:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

should be moved to the suggestion forum to discuss it there.
That's the point! This should not be discussed! it just needs to be fixed and needs to exist in the app!
A modern application cannot display any shortened text information without at least two ways of showing its full, uncropped version:
expanding the boundaries of the fields in which the information is displayed and displaying tooltips when hovering the mouse over such fields.
It just MUST be in the modern-app... Or Total IS NOT such an app ;)?
#146217 personal license
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-09-15, 07:23 UTC In other words, if I created a custom view with 10 custom columns, should I also create 10 custom Win32 tooltips? For each column?
And in each tooltip I would have to duplicate exactly the same 'field' from the custom column to which I'm linking this tooltip...
Custom tooltips are based on file types or saved searches, each of which can have different fields for tooltips. For example, a tooltip for video files may include specific video-related information such as bitrate, duration, resolution, fps. etc. Other file types may display completely different information.

Unlike custom columns, where all file types have the same columns, custom tooltips can show different info for different files.
However, its setup is little complicated due to the limited dialog box. However, once properly configured, I find them more useful than custom columns for retrieving information from files. This is because custom tooltips support multiline formatting, allowing display of much more information than can be displayed in the panel's columns.

I only use the custom columns view when I need to sort files based on a custom value.

I know nothing of this is a solution for the issue (not a bug, bug is unintended behavior, this one is designed like that) but just a little different workflow that may be little more productive. But, again, that depends on the users needs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This isn't a bug but would be nice to have, so I'm moving this to the suggestions forum.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com