[TC 11.02rc6] Synchronize dirs: Pressing Esc doesn't always work

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 11.02rc6] Synchronize dirs: Pressing Esc doesn't always work

Post by *white »

• Open Synchronize dirs with 2 reasonably sized dirs
  • Enable the option Subdirs
  • Press Alt+C to start comparing
  • Press Esc to abort and press Esc a second time to close the synchronize tool shortly thereafter.
    If I press the Esc key again within approximately half a second while the beep sound is still playing, but the Abort button has already changed to a Close button, the Esc key press is disregarded.
Earlier mentioned here:
white wrote: 2023-11-05, 18:42 UTC I haven't been able to reproduce it, but I didn't compare very large folders. I did notice the behavior when I press Esc to abort and to close, but perhaps that is a different issue.
A second issue for 32-bit TC only:
  • When I press Alt+C again to re-compare, the Esc key often doesn't work at all (it doesn't abort).
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 11.02rc6] Synchronize dirs: Pressing Esc doesn't always work

Post by *JOUBE »

Last edited by white on 2023-11-08, 14:29 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional so when you double click a pair of files to compare them interactively and then press ESC, the sync window doesn't get closed too.
When I press Alt+C again to re-compare, the Esc key often doesn't work at all (it doesn't abort).
Hold down ESC for 1 second in this case.

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

I already mentioned that I mentioned it there.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-08, 13:13 UTC This is intentional so when you double click a pair of files to compare them interactively and then press ESC, the sync window doesn't get closed too.
The file list in the Synchronize dirs window is empty. It's not possible to double-click a pair of files.
If comparing has finished and I double-click a pair of files, I can press Esc twice very fast and both the file compare window and the sync window are closed.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-08, 13:13 UTC
When I press Alt+C again to re-compare, the Esc key often doesn't work at all (it doesn't abort).
Hold down ESC for 1 second in this case.
Only for 32-bit TC?
And in that case, please change the text in the status bar which says "(Esc to abort)" to "(Hold down Esc for 1 second to abort)".
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-11-08, 14:28 UTC And in that case, please change the text in the status bar which says "(Esc to abort)" to "(Hold down Esc for 1 second to abort)".
That would be crazy. :-) 2ghisler(author) Please do not change.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holding down ESC a bit longer (usually much less than 1 second) is only needed while reading directories. It reacts immediately when not busy.
The half a second wait time is there so you don't accidentally close the window.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-08, 18:10 UTC Holding down ESC a bit longer (usually much less than 1 second) is only needed while reading directories. It reacts immediately when not busy.
Is this about issue 2, failure to Abort?
I am indeed pressing Esc while TC is reading directories. Why does it happen when using 32-bit TC, but not with 64-bit TC?
And why does 32-bit TC aborts immediately when clicking Abort, but not when pressing Esc?
BTW, it may be less than a second, but it is longer than I usually hold down the Esc key when I press it.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-11-08, 18:10 UTC The half a second wait time is there so you don't accidentally close the window.
Is this about issue 1, failure to Close?
Do you want to prevent closing the window when the user presses Esc twice quickly after each other? Is it so important to show an empty file list? And why only when pressing Esc and not when clicking twice quickly after each other on the Abort/Close button?
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

I believe it is important that nothing will be changed here. Otherwise it would only lead to new side effects and unpleasant consequences in handling that are of no usefull to anyone and that no one uses, endless updates...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC 32-bit and 64-bit handle ESC in completely different ways, so there can be differences in behaviour.
I prefer not to change this at this time. There are many reasons I added restrictions to ESC which I don't want to break by accident.