TCSumatraPDF vs sLister

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AkulaBig

TCSumatraPDF vs sLister

Post by *AkulaBig »

Especially for Fla$her, I show the sizes of the source codes and binary files of two plugins. I think it will be interesting for others too.
[img]https://i122.fastpic.org/thumb/2023/1213/c6/a87009bdc299d7c8dff33f6dd3a0bec6.jpeg[/img]
As you can see in the screenshot, the size of the TCSumatraPDF source files is almost 3 times larger than the size of the sLister source files. But this does not mean that because of this the size of their binary files is different. It's just that newer versions of compilers increase the size of binary files. The compilers of both plugins are the same, but differ in versions. On the screen you can see
that the size of sLister compiled by a newer version of the compiler is almost equal to the size of TCSumatraPDF. For comparison, I have given the dimensions of the original sLister plugin compiled by the old version of the compiler.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TCSumatraPDF vs sLister

Post by *Fla$her »

Thanks, but I don't think it was worth spending so much time on compilations just to show the impact of compiler versions on size. I'm well aware of this.
What's more interesting here is: have you compared the speed of opening a large scanned book in the original slister and the one you compiled?
By the way, what versions of slister_old.wlx[64] do you have? The sizes for 1.1.2 should be 7168 for x32 and 8704 for x64.

PS. The need for users to create separate threads that discuss essentially the same thing certainly amuses me. But here, alas, it is like this: the moderator is always "right", even if he is completely wrong.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-13, 18:29 UTC Thanks, but I don't think it was worth spending so much time on compilations just to show the impact of compiler versions on size. I'm well aware of this.
What's more interesting here is: have you compared the speed of opening a large scanned book in the original slister and the one you compiled?
By the way, what versions of slister_old.wlx[64] do you have? The sizes for 1.1.2 should be 7168 for x32 and 8704 for x64.
On my screenshot are the dimensions of the original sLister plugin. It is he who is downloaded from totalcmd.net. And it requires SumatraPDF x86 and x64 so that the plugin can close with Esc. And it was with him that I tested. And you are using a mod that was not written by the author sLister. This mod only allows you to use SumatraPDF x86. After all, SumatraPDF 3.2 is only 32-
bit. I also used this mod. But it has a big glitch. In QuickView mode it loses focus and it is not possible to use this mode. It was because of these shortcomings of both versions of the plugin that I decided to write my own plugin.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Yes, you're right, I took it from here. Can you answer the first question?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Fla$her wrote: 2023-12-13, 20:20 UTC Yes, you're right, I took it from here. Can you answer the first question?
As I wrote, I didn’t want to deal with this topic at all. But since he devoted time to her, he made everything clear. But now everything is clear to everyone.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2AkulaBig
I didn't understand anything. Where did you write about this if you just touched on the slister compilation? And who are you writing about? Who is he?
And why do you think that everything is clear to everyone, if no one has publicly provided tests in such conditions before?

As I already wrote, your plugin can suspend the system on such files for several minutes. I want to understand if this is related to the compiler version.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
bogordo

Post by *bogordo »

Hi,

The download link for SLister is down, is the Github link legit?

Thank you,
TC license #346559
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

bogordo

Post by *bogordo »

Thank you tuska, yep Github works but didn't know if it's legit stuff...

totalcmd.net works, Windows/Chrome was blocking the download...
TC license #346559
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Just note that the original sLister is not on Github. This is a mod from another author. I don't know why he left the original version number. It has nothing to do with sLister.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2024-01-24, 04:31 UTC Just note that the original sLister is not on Github. This is a mod from another author.
I don't know why he left the original version number. It has nothing to do with sLister.
Thanks for the hint!
jdmarch

Post by *jdmarch »

I first tried sLister, but ran into the keyboard focus bug, so then installed and tried TCSumatraPDF. Works nicely now, just had to resolve one issue, which I don't think was mentioned in the documentation:

It was necessary to disable the "Remember Opened Files" setting in SumatraPDF. I did this from the Sumatra GUI; I'm sure it's also available in the settings file, though I have not looked there.

The reason that this is necessary is that otherwise, each time I open a PDF file with the plugin, Sumatra reopens all the prior PDFs too, causing lots and lots of flashing windows (more each time the plugin is used), which then stay open in the background. By the time I figured out what was going on, there were about 30 open Sumatra windows in the background, and the flashing was dizzying.

(Windows 11)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

jdmarch wrote: 2024-02-15, 20:46 UTC ...
It was necessary to disable the "Remember Opened Files" setting in SumatraPDF. I did this from the Sumatra GUI; I'm sure it's also available in the settings file, though I have not looked there.
I did this long time before using any TC plugin.
The default SumatraPDF setting was useless for me.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

jdmarch wrote: 2024-02-15, 20:46 UTC disable the "Remember Opened Files"
I usually attach program configuration files to my plugins. Apparently it will be necessary to do the same here.