Button "Backup" in plugins as export feature.

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sorc

Button "Backup" in plugins as export feature.

Post by *sorc »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-12-07, 09:58 UTC I have added a button "Backup" to the connection settings which allows to backup all connections to a file, using the Android "Save" dialog.
This is very useful feature. Is it possible to make this a standard feature for plugins (FTP, LAN, SFTP, WebDAV)?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Button "Backup" in plugins as export feature.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. It's not done with just backup, there would also be a need to restore the data, which could be a problem when there are already connections with the same names.
2. When you store the passwords encrypted with a master password, they are stored in Total Commander and not in the plugins. This is necessary so the user can change the master password. Therefore it would be better to provide a function which can backup/restore the settings of both plugins and Total Commander at the same time. But Total Commander cannot access the data of the plugins - they would have to expose it, but then other apps could steal the data too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sorc

Re: Button "Backup" in plugins as export feature.

Post by *sorc »

Yes, I understand, but even with such restrictions there are use cases, for example, migration to another phone, in the case when "adb backup" cannot be used (for various reasons).
In this case, to save the server list you will have to take screenshots of the settings of each ftp server in the plugin. Or write it out manually.
Export of server list, even without passwords, would be a good help.
I understand that this may lead to additional questions and requests: "why are passwords not exported" and "how to import settings"...
Maybe consider hiding this feature in some "advanced settings", and warning about limitations when activating it?
But in general I agree that this is not a very important feature.
Thank you!