TC does not count complet size to copy before copy

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

oko

TC does not count complet size to copy before copy

Post by *oko »

When I drag files to copy, progress window shows partial size (e.g. only 700 mb of real 5000 mb), progress bar goes to 100% and then copying continues at 100% for a long time and I have not information how long it will copy. In the past it always counts real complet size first, it does not work now.
oko

Re: TC does not count complet size to copy before copy

Post by *oko »

I tried to manually let tc count the directories which I was going to copy. It shows me cca 30 GB in Size column, so TC knows the total size, then I drag the directories by mouse to tab (target) and then the copy dialog shows only 4884 MB as total size to copy. Then during copying progress bar goes from 0 to 100% and after reaches 100% (4884 MB) it continues copying at 100%, the size is counting up for a long time till 30 GB is copied. Not convenient.
oko

Post by *oko »

When I use F5, counting is always ok. It always counts till complet size first then starts copying. So only copying by dragging is with counting issue.

(Admin, please move this post to tc bugs)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2024-01-06, 21:41 UTC

Moved to Bugs forum.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This can happen when Total Commander doesn't have the rights to enter a folder, e.g. when you try to copy the "WindowsApps" folder from "Program Files". Total Commander doesn't try to get access with administrator rights when just counting files, only when it encounters an inaccessible folder while copying. Therefore the total size counted can be smaller than the actual copied size. Currently there are no plans to change this because counting is started in the background in the F5 copy dialog and asking for admin rights would interfere with user interaction.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
oko

Post by *oko »

I do not copy files with restricted acces. With F5 (copy dialog) there is not problem with properly counting, only when copy by draging files to target by mouse (within tc). And not always. I will pay more attention if there is some kind of warning during copying or so and I can try to compare the same copying by F5 and by dragging if issue occurs.
oko

Post by *oko »

-
Last edited by oko on 2024-01-08, 21:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
andry81

Post by *andry81 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-08, 09:28 UTC This can happen when Total Commander doesn't have the rights to enter a folder, e.g. when you try to copy the "WindowsApps" folder from "Program Files". Total Commander doesn't try to get access with administrator rights when just counting files, only when it encounters an inaccessible folder while copying. Therefore the total size counted can be smaller than the actual copied size. Currently there are no plans to change this because counting is started in the background in the F5 copy dialog and asking for admin rights would interfere with user interaction.
You could just warn the user of inaccessible files and folders in the source tree and so incorrect resulting size of the copy.
oko

Post by *oko »

I have tested one situation:

I count folders size (alt+shift+enter) to know size of folders. Testfolder in column Size has 112 G.
I go in Testfolder and move one subfolder with size 103 G out somewhere, so in Testfolder 8 G remains. (Note that it is done before copy, nothing is done during copy or in background).
I go out from Testfolder.
I drag Testfolder with mouse to copy to target window.

Note 1: My setting is dragging copy without copy window, so it starts immediately. In copy progress window total size is 103 G despite of folder actually has 8 G only ! Copying copies 8G so it finish when in progress bar is less than 10% presented. It is ok because folder has only 8 G but bug is that total size (un)counted is wrong.

Note 2: if copying starts there used to be counted size showed in tc window in column size (despite you do not count folder size before), so it is sign that tc counted size first before copying. But in my test after copying starts the size of folder in tc window was not presented ("DIR" remains), so it is sign that counting did not get over.

Note 3: If I copy the Testfolder second time, it show right size in progress window (8G).

Note 4: If I take subfolder back to Tesfolder so size of Tesfolder change from 8 to 112 G and drag to copy there is right size presented in progress window. It means the wrong or missing counting before copy occurs NOT ALWAYS.

Note 5: I tested the same situation with F5 key, it always counts ok and progress window show always the right total size. Although I press F5 and Enter so quickly that counting in F5 dialog do not finish, the counting is continued in progress bar and after finish it does copying. So everything good.

Note 6: There are some readonly or system files in copied folder (as regards to the restrictions mentioned) but I do not think it blocks counting because if F5 (copy window) is used, counting is ok.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I count folders size (alt+shift+enter) to know size of folders.
Indeed when the folder size has already been counted (and it's shown in the list), then TC will not count it again when you press F5 or copy by drag&drop. This is done to save time.
oko

Post by *oko »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-09, 10:29 UTC
I count folders size (alt+shift+enter) to know size of folders.
Indeed when the folder size has already been counted (and it's shown in the list), then TC will not count it again when you press F5 or copy by drag&drop. This is done to save time.
I know that. But then I leave dir (in place, not in other window), make changes, and go back, so the size is already not shown. In case of leaving directory and go back tc deletes sizes from Size column and recounts before copy.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just press Alt+Shift+Enter again to refresh the sizes.
oko

Post by *oko »

Why? I am going to copy. I know how to refresh dir sizes but it is not thing to solve. For copy function user does not have to do counting dirs. Tc should do this job automatically. I only say that tc sometimes does not do that job properly in case of drag and drop copying is activated. Even in case when tc knows that size could has been changed. It seems like tc use size from previous hold or what. It occurs only in case of copy by drag and drop without copy dialog. Copying with F5 key (with copy dialog) never make this kind of issue.

Note that I have written also:
oko wrote: 2023-12-27, 13:28 UTC I tried to manually let tc count the directories which I was going to copy. It shows me cca 30 GB in Size column, so TC knows the total size, then I drag the directories by mouse to tab (target) and then the copy dialog shows only 4884 MB as total size to copy ...
It means that although I count dir before copying, so tc knows the right size, tc sometimes starts copying with inpropper size in progress window.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2oko

Just curious - if you set CountMarkedInDialog=0 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file (and restart TC), does it then work correctly with drag-and-drop?

And what is your setting for CountMarked= in wincmd.ini
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why? I am going to copy.
Because TC cannot "know" that you changed something in there, and you want updated sizes.