HELP .. Lost folder tag!!!!!!!!!!!

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ronintt

HELP .. Lost folder tag!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *Ronintt »

In Total Commander (TC), the folder label function is very useful for organizing files. I have collected a large number of folders and locked labels for about 50 of them. However, today when I started TC normally, all my folder labels were gone!!! I don't know what happened because I haven't modified any configuration files or settings before. Everything was working normally, and I checked that other functions such as file history are still working. I don't understand why this happened. I spent a long time configuring the folder labels, and I don't know why such a serious error occurred. Please help me.
Image: https://pic.rmb.bdstatic.com/bjh/231228/f3cd74fa805f2d26ac9853b52a84c1124547.png
Ronintt

Re: HELP .. Lost folder tag!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by *Ronintt »

Total Commander Version 11.02 64 bit (2023-11-09)
Windows 10 22H2 19045.3803
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moderator message from: white » 2023-12-28, 10:38 UTC

Cross posting is not allowed on this board (see forum rules), so I deleted your duplicate post in the English forum.

I understand this is a serious issue for you, but please be patience.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It sounds like your wincmd.ini got damaged somehow. You can try looking for the missing sections [lefttabs] and [righttabs] manually by opening the file via menu Configuration - Change settings files directly. If they aren't there, it means that you will have to recreate your tabs via Ctrl+T. I recommend including the files wincmd.ini and wc_ftp.ini in backups (you do make backups, right?).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sa16

Post by *sa16 »

2Ronintt
You may have exited the program when the tabs were not visible.
Try to find previous versions of wincmd.ini and restore the [lefttabs] and [righttabs] sections from them.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2Ronintt
wincmd.ini - section [Configuration]

Code: Select all

TabDir=
e.g. TabDir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\
Has a TAB directory been saved here?

These buttons, for example, can be used for future cases.
1. BUTTON to save TABs - Example - adjust the paths...

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
SAVETABS2L %COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\STANDARD.tab

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Icons\Save.ico
SAVE TABs to this file: STANDARD.tab ... |after clicking on this button(!) || TABs from left window first |SAVETABS2L %COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\STANDARD.tab|https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=80744

2. BUTTON to open TABs - Example - adjust the paths...

TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA
OPENTABSL %COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\STANDARD.tab

%COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.EXE,5
TABs "STANDARD.tab" => Attention!|After clicking they are activated IMMEDIATELY and REPLACE existing tabs!|TABs from left window first - focus: left window|OPENTABSL %COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\STANDARD.tab|https://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=80744

Create a Button in the Buttonbar (copy/paste CODE)
  1. Click on "SELECT ALL" (to the right of CODE:), then press CTRL+C (copy to clipboard).
  2. Right-click on any place in the button bar, then click on "Paste".
     ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
  3. Option1: Point to the new button (slightly longer): 'Tooltip' is shown (-> description to the button).
                  A maximum of 259 characters is allowed for the tooltip. | = create line break, || = create | as separator character.
  4. Option2: Button bar - "Tooltip" field: A single space deactivates the display of the tooltip.
                  If the "Tooltip" field is empty, the content of the "Command" field is displayed.
  5. Option3: See FAQs and explanation: Button-code (TOTALCMD#BAR#DATA)  <-- <Ctrl+click on the link...>
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TabDir is used for "Save tabs to file" when you right click on a tab - it remembers the last directory where you saved tabs manually, so you can load them more quickly with the "Load tabs from file..." functions.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-12-28, 14:51 UTC TabDir is used for "Save tabs to file" when you right click on a tab - it remembers the last directory where you saved tabs manually,
so you can load them more quickly with the "Load tabs from file..." functions.
Thanks!
Ronintt

Post by *Ronintt »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-12-28, 11:30 UTC It sounds like your wincmd.ini got damaged somehow. You can try looking for the missing sections [lefttabs] and [righttabs] manually by opening the file via menu Configuration - Change settings files directly. If they aren't there, it means that you will have to recreate your tabs via Ctrl+T. I recommend including the files wincmd.ini and wc_ftp.ini in backups (you do make backups, right?).

sa16 wrote: 2023-12-28, 11:31 UTC 2Ronintt
You may have exited the program when the tabs were not visible.
Try to find previous versions of wincmd.ini and restore the [lefttabs] and [righttabs] sections from them.

Thank you for your help and response. It seems that the configuration file for the tab settings is saved in the User.ini file located in the "user" folder under the TC root directory, as well as in the
WinCMD.ini file with the [lefttabs] and [righttabs] sections pointing to 【RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_PATH%\User\User.ini】
Therefore, if you regularly backup the User.ini file, you can avoid losing your tabs. Unfortunately, I have been backing up the WinCMD.ini file, which didn't help me recover the tabs when I lost them.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to will not be changed