Bug with SyncChangeDirs and junctions

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Bug with SyncChangeDirs and junctions

Post by *wanderer »

wanderer wrote: 2024-02-14, 14:44 UTCIt's a little strange because i remember i had not changed the names of that folder (local or network) so there shouldn't have been a problem.
Hi Christian.

Finally found some time to check things. It seems i remembered correctly. Everything seemed proper and the "cd" should have worked, but... Windows Explorer (WE) shed some light into the situation.

When i tried to open the network SymLink from WE (\\....\_LinkTest_\Links\TestFolder2), i received the following message: "The symbolic link cannot be followed because its type is disabled."

I searched around and found the answer in this link. Indeed it was disabled (remote to local).

Code: Select all

C:\fsutil behavior query SymlinkEvaluation
Local to local symbolic links are enabled.
Local to remote symbolic links are enabled.
Remote to local symbolic links are disabled.
Remote to remote symbolic links are disabled.
So, it seems that TC is working fine in this case, it would be helpful though if the same message shown in WE, was shown in TC too.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug with SyncChangeDirs and junctions

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your feedback!

Btw, enabling remote to local symbolic links isn't a good idea. Why? Here is an example:
1. On the remote server, there is a symbolic link named c:\link pointing to c:\destination
2. On the local PC, the user accesses \\remoteserver\drivec and sees "link" and "destination"
3. The user tries to open \\remoteserver\drivec\link
4. Since "link" points to "c:\destination", the system would try to read the local "c:\destination" directory and not "\\remoteserver\drivec\destination"

This problem does not exist with hard links (junction) because the junction isn't just a file storing "c:\destination". Instead, the junction points directly to the data of "c:\destination". Therefore it also works remotely.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com