[TC11.03] Arrowkeys (jump between files) no longer work with Photos

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gryzor

[TC11.03] Arrowkeys (jump between files) no longer work with Photos

Post by *gryzor »

This worked fine in 11.02 with Windows 11 and clicking a picture in a folder, then jumping around with arrowkeys, 11.03 broke something so it no longer works.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [TC11.03] Arrowkeys (jump between files) no longer work with Photos

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Where do you want to use arrow keys? In thumbnail mode? With Ctrl+Q? These both work fine here, so it must be something else.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)

Maybe gryzor are talking about viewing the images in an Image viewer. But if gryzor is using Window Photos App it is peculiar, since support for navigating with arrow keys after opening an image in the Photos App from TC wasn't supported before TC 11.03.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gryzor

Post by *gryzor »

I'm not sure what it opened it in before 11.03, but it worked :) And if I open an image from an explorer-window, arrow-keys works just fine. In TC11.03, it shows the name of the next picture when using arrow-keys, but just spins and never displays anything. Very odd. Closing and clicking on previous picture works just fine, trying to go forward, it will just spin again. Switch over to the same directory, same set of pictures, do the same thing and it works as expected.

I installed 11.02 again, and yes, it uses photoviewer. Explorer and 11.03 uses "Photos".
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gryzor
I installed 11.02 again, and yes, it uses photoviewer. Explorer and 11.03 uses "Photos".
You may have to re-enable Photoviewer again for version 11.03 - you can do that by either placing the cursor on a jpg file and in the menu choose "Files" ->"Associate With.." and then if you in the lower right corner of the "Associate" dialog see: "Replace with PhotoViewer.dll" check the box.

Or you can manually add

Code: Select all

PhotoAppFilter=-
to the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file.

Help wrote:PhotoAppFilter= Configure which types of images to pass to Windows Photo app in addition to the double clicked file. Uses Microsoft syntax, e.g. PhotoAppFilter=System.FileExtension:=(".jpg" OR ".png")
".???" will be replaced by the type of the opened file
Set to - (or start with dash) to disable
history.txt wrote:22.11.23 Added: Configure which types of images to pass to Windows Photo app in addition to the double clicked file: wincmd.ini [Configuration] PhotoAppFilter=filter string using Microsoft syntax, e.g. PhotoAppFilter=System.FileExtension:=(".jpg" OR ".png") Set to - to disable (32/64)

22.11.23 Added: PhotoAppFilter field: Replace .??? with the extension of the viewed file, e.g. PhotoAppFilter=System.FileExtension:=(".jpg" OR ".???") then only scrolls through jpg files plus the same type as opened (32/64)

22.01.24 Fixed: Menu Files - Associate With: Show option to redirect opening of image files to "PhotoViewer.dll" also on Windows 10, now toggles PhotoAppFilter=- and ReplacePhotoApp (32/64)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PhotoAppFilter=- disables passing multiple names to the Photo Viewer, so that will not help.
If you want to use again the old Desktop photos program, place the cursor on a photo and choose menu Files - Associate. There is a checkbox to use PhotoViewer.dll instead of the newer Photos app. That's what TC 11.02 was using.

However, I don't have any problems using the arrow keys with the new Photo Viewer app called by TC 11.03...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Hmm, under windows 10 if I only have ReplacePhotoApp=1 in my wincmd.ini, it is the Photos App that opens the file - only if i ALSO have PhotoAppFilter=- is the PhotoViewer program used.

This also corresponds with:
history.txt wrote:22.01.24 Fixed: Menu Files - Associate With: Show option to redirect opening of image files to "PhotoViewer.dll" also on Windows 10, now toggles PhotoAppFilter=- and ReplacePhotoApp (32/64)
if I only have PhotoAppFilter=- but NO ReplacePhotoApp setting, then the PhotoViewer program is used (because ReplacePhotoApp=1 is default).

Notice that if I have ReplacePhotoApp=0 and PhotoAppFilter=- then ReplacePhotoApp=0 takes precedence and the Photos App is used.

So since gryzor used to see the PhotoViewer program I must assume that he has either ReplacePhotoApp=1 or no ReplacePhotoApp setting, and then setting PhotoAppFilter=-, if he still wants to use the PhotoViewer program, seems to be a valid recommendation to me.

Uses PhotoViewer program:

[Configuration]
ReplacePhotoApp=1
PhotoAppFilter=-

[Configuration]
PhotoAppFilter=-

Uses Photos App:

[Configuration]
ReplacePhotoApp=0
PhotoAppFilter=-

[Configuration]
ReplacePhotoApp=1

[Configuration]
ReplacePhotoApp=0

[Configuration]
However, I don't have any problems using the arrow keys with the new Photo Viewer app called by TC 11.03..
Neither do I.
License #524 (1994)
gryzor

Post by *gryzor »

Hey, I figured out why it doesn't work for me. Was getting so odd error-messages when launching it from TC11.03, "image file corrupted" on all files, except for the one file I initially clicked.

Turns out it's because I run TC11.03 "as administrator" under the compability-settings, this somehow only gives the photos app accesss to the first file and no other files. Very odd, but when un-checking running TC11.03 as administrator, it works as intended. This presents a whole new set of problems for me, though, so not sure how I'll tackle it :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback! Now the question is how TC should handle this when launched as administrator and the user has configured it to launch the Photo App with multiple images (which is the default now in TC 11.03). I could either launch the photo app with just one image, or the old photo viewer.
klappa

Post by *klappa »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-02-26, 08:50 UTC Thanks for your feedback! Now the question is how TC should handle this when launched as administrator and the user has configured it to launch the Photo App with multiple images (which is the default now in TC 11.03). I could either launch the photo app with just one image, or the old photo viewer.
Yes I hope the devs fix this. It's very irritating.