Bug introduced in 11.00, Alt-F7 Search loses buffered keystrokes

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

darrenmjones

Re: Bug introduced in 11.00, Alt-F7 Search loses buffered keystrokes

Post by *darrenmjones »

Hmm, the problem returned fairly quickly. It's back again this morning. petermad, I started with your test.ini command line parameter and that fixes it, so I renamed my wincmd.ini to start with a fresh one and that also fixes it. I'll watch the wincmd.ini changes during the day and try to determine what setting breaks it.
darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be related to the wincmd.ini. It does go away (temporarily) if I run with your /i test.ini or if I rename wincmd.ini to a different name to start with a fresh one. But then at some random point it comes back. Restarting Total Commander with no ini changes also makes it temporarily go away again but so far I've not been able to nail down a sequence that makes it consistently reproducible nor consistently that it will not happen.

If I'm able to determine anything consistent, I'll post it. Thanks again for the help.
darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

On my 2nd PC it seems to consistently not be reproducible. I have no idea what the difference could be. :(

On my primary PC, the only way I can make it consistently go away is to downgrade to version 10.52.
Last edited by darrenmjones on 2024-03-21, 11:58 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

My guess is that is has something to do with Find Files dialog itself, maybe the history in it or the appearance. Do you run the Find Files dialog maximized?
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

Dalai, yes I do run it maximized
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Try without the maximized state, set dialog size manually if necessary.
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

With the Search dialog not maximized it still happens. I press Alt-F7 and then quickly the "a" character and when the dialog comes up, the "a" is selected.

Restarting TC with no ini or other changes temporarily makes this go away so that I can press Alt-F7 followed by "a" and the "a" is not selected when the dialog appears.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Maybe redirect the sections [SearchName], [SearchIn] and [SearchText] to a different INI file and make that file read-only to prevent TC from saving any history related to Find Files. If that works, remove the redirection for each section and try again after each one. It's probably the [SearchName] section since that's the one containing the history of the "Search for" edit field which gets the focus when the Find Files dialog opens.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

Ok, I redirected those sections and made wincmd.ini readonly but it seems to have made no difference.

I do think I have been able to consistently reproduce it now on both of my computers.

It seems like you have to actually execute a search once and then on the SECOND search is when the dialog auto-selects any text you typed before the dialog loaded.

1) Start Total Commander
2) Alt-F7, type "a" before the dialog loads. The "a" should NOT be selected.
3) Start Search - This is the step I was missing on my second computer. I never actually executed a search, and this is required for it to fail on the 2nd pass.
4) Cancel out of the Search dialog
5) Alt-F7, type "a" before the dialog loads. This time the "a" IS auto-selected and if you continue to type it will erase the "a" and replace it with what you type.
6) Close Total Commander - this resets you back to step 1.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

darrenmjones wrote: 2024-03-21, 14:26 UTCOk, I redirected those sections and made wincmd.ini readonly but it seems to have made no difference.
It seems you misunderstood. The other INI file where the sections get redirected to should be read-only, not wincmd.ini.
#101164 Personal licence

darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

Ok, I made the file I redirected the Search sections to read-only, and this also made no difference. No changes to the ini file including running with /i=%TEMP%\test.ini make any change to the behavior. It always happens on the 2nd (and subsequent) Search, after having fully executed one search where it does not happen.

It is 100% reproducible on both of my computers now using the steps from my previous post. Have you tried these steps and does it also occur for you?

Thanks,
Darren
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

It could be the section saving the window sizes and positions, but this depends on screen resolution, scaling and similar factors. It's not that easy to redirect. But it's easy to delete that section by hand. For me it's section [1920x1200 (8x16)], resolution 1920x1200 and 100% (or no) scaling. Maybe try that, especially the keys related to the size of the Find Files window (everything starting with "Search").

I can't reproduce the issue. For me TC 8.52a and 11.03 (both 32-bit) select the text upon opening the Find Files window a second time. The window appears fast in both cases (much less than half a second, probably even less than 200ms) so I can't even type anything before it appears.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

darrenmjones

Post by *darrenmjones »

Ok, just to make sure, I installed TC 8.52a 32-bit and it does not have the issue for me, as with all pre-11xx versions I have tried. I normally run 64 bit versions.

I'm not clear what you mean when you say that "8.52a and 11.03 select the text upon opening the Find Files window a second time." Do you mean your previous search text is there and selected, or do you mean new text you just typed is there and selected? If the latter, that is the bug.

If I do NOT type any characters before the dialog loads (no bug):
All versions behave the same: The previous search text is present and selected. This is what I would expect.

If I DO type characters before the dialog loads (bug with 11.xx):
Pre 11.xx versions: The characters typed pre-dialog load are present but NOT selected. You can continue typing with no problem.
11.xx versions: The characters typed pre-dialog load are present and selected. If you continue typing it erases what you've already typed.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

darrenmjones wrote: 2024-03-21, 18:16 UTCDo you mean your previous search text is there and selected, or do you mean new text you just typed is there and selected?
The former. As I said, I'm not able to type anything before the dialog appears so there can't be new text typed and selected in my case.

You can run Windows in Safe Mode and try there. The Find Files window appearing slowly is perhaps the trigger for this, and running in Safe Mode disables all virus scanners (including Defender) and similar programs which could slow TC down.
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It seems weird that some setting in the .ini file could cause such an issue only in the 11.xx versions.
It could be interesting to find out what setting caused the problem - but it can be difficult to analyze - one has to take out a potion of the ini file, until the problem disappears, and then go back and take smaller and smaller sections out.

There could be a bug hidden there. If you still have the wincmd.ini file that caused the problem, the you are welcome to give it to me for analyzing. You can upload it to me here: https://madsenworld.dk/upldpm-uk.htm
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar