Folder tabs suggestions

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Helix751

Folder tabs suggestions

Post by *Helix751 »

1. Double-click on a folder tab actually closes it (unless protected, where a warning dialog pops up). It's not uncommon to accidentally double click a folder tab and thus closing it by error, but I'd prefer to have the 'Rename tab' action for double.-click, which is more useful and more frquently used. As it 'always' opens a dialog, it can also be cancelled without any effect in case of a clicking error.
  2. A close-tab 'X' that may appear 'only' on the active tab when hovering. This way a close tab action can be quickly performed but without the risk of closing non-active tabs upon selecting them.
  3. An upper-left 'notch' to clearly indicate the active tab. When using automatic tab colors, tabs do not always display the correct color or easily show the active tab and it can be hard to spot the active one from a collection of many tabs.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Folder tabs suggestions

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Helix751 wrote: 2024-03-21, 14:59 UTC A close-tab 'X' that may appear 'only' on the active tab when hovering. This way a close tab action can be quickly performed but without the risk of closing non-active tabs upon selecting them.
What is wrong with CTRL+W :?:
This way you close the active tab without even having to move the mouse.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Helix751
1. Double-click closing can be disabled in cm_DirTabsConfig. The rest can be done in autorun.cfg.
2. It makes sense to add crosses on all tabs so that we can do this without using the context menu. But only optionally, as it takes away space from names.
3. To avoid problems with identifying the active tab by color (ActiveTabColor=), you don't need to use similar shades for other tabs.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

it can be hard to spot the active one from a collection of many tabs.
The disadvantage of post-Windows 7 OS's - but try ActiveTabColor= as suggested.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2024-03-21, 16:24 UTC What is wrong with CTRL+W :?:
This way you close the active tab without even having to move the mouse.
I'd precisely expect both methods to work. Thant's why keyboard xombinations are called "shortcuts" or "accelerators". Sometimes I just work with the mouse and some other times I use the keyboard. Maybe even a mix of the two.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

Fla$her wrote: 2024-03-21, 17:30 UTC 2Helix751
2. It makes sense to add crosses on all tabs so that we can do this without using the context menu. But only optionally, as it takes away space from names.
What I was suggesting was to display the cross only upon hovering over the active tab. This way there's no tab caption space compromise.
The other tabs can only be closed after making them active and clicking the 'X' or by Ctrl-W.
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

The appearance of a cross when hovering the cursor is a good idea. I've been thinking about it. There are programs where this is implemented. But again, I disagree that this should only apply to the active tab, which I can close with Ctrl+W. The cross is much more in demand on inactive tabs, which we can now close through their context menu without activation.
Overquoting is evil! 👎