MRT: Reverse filename: "performer - track.mp3" >> "track - performer.mp3"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

graemej

MRT: Reverse filename: "performer - track.mp3" >> "track - performer.mp3"

Post by *graemej »

Years ago, when I first started using TC, I had a multi-rename that reversed the filename of MP3 files. Unfortunately, after several computer changes I've lost this and I can't, for the life of me, work out how it was done.

These files usually state the performers name first, followed by the track title, e.g. Carrie Underwood - Ever Ever After.mp3. What I needed to do was turn this into Ever Ever After - Carrie Underwood.mp3 .

Can someone please point me in the right direction to achieve this - I would be most grateful.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Reverse filename

Post by *white »

white wrote: 2022-07-17, 20:54 UTC BTW if you press F1 in the multi rename tool, you can look up regular expressions. It says:
Help - Regular expressions wrote:
Subexpressions for search+replace

Text parts in round brackets are taken as subexpressions. Up to 89 subexpressions are supported now.
Example: To swap the title and interpret in the file name of an mp3 file, when they are separated by a dash (Title - Interpret.mp3), use the following options:
Search for: (.*) - (.*)\.mp3
Replace by: $2 - $1.mp3
Here $1 means the text in the first round bracket, and $2 the text in the second round bracket.
graemej

Re: Reverse filename

Post by *graemej »

Thank you so much - that's exactly what I was looking for.

My old brain finds the many options in TC quite overwhelming at times and I don't see the wood for the trees.

Thank you once again.