StickyNomad's icons

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should StickyNomad's icons (read the first comment) replace the original Total Commander icons?

Of course!!! Duh...
66%
Yes, but I was looking forward to something different...
21%
I didn't downloaded/I don't care
13%

Total votes: 68

Mirek

StickyNomad's icons

Post by *Mirek »

Here are the icons - screenshot download . If the link doesn't work, visit my other poll.[/url]
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

I voted in favour of StickyNomad's icons,

+ because they match WinXP much better than the genuine TC icons
+ although I personally prefer and use the previous set of icons that look more Win2K like
+ although I remember the legal implications, i.e. copyright issues, for StickyNomad and Christian.
+ although several years of TC experience tell me it will not happen because of the legal issues.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Thanks for this thread, it's great to see your acceptance of my work :D

2karlchen
well, the legal issues shouldn't be a big deal, because I created all icons either from Ghislers original icons or completely on my own. This applies to my actual collection vicons3 in fact, the old versions contains some icons I've taken somewhere solely modified them.

Additionally I run an official 'one man business' as a web designer/developer so if Ghisler would like to use my icons, this could be done easily and totally official. And I would really like to have my icons included in TC of course!

I'm permanently tuning my icons and adjusting them to achieve the best look possible (in usability and Design) and as Vista's on his way, this might inspire me to some redesign...
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, StickyNomad.
well, the legal issues shouldn't be a big deal, because I created all icons either from Ghislers original icons or completely on my own.
Good, so we may assume contracts between you and Christian have been signed and we may look forward to finding your icon collection v3 in the next official TC installation package?! :wink:

Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2karlchen
easy, mon :D I will contact ghisler personally when my icons reached a state I am satisfied with and maybe my icons will appear in a future version, but we've made no official agreement yet.
Though I contacted him already some timt ago concerning an earlier Version of my icons and he stated basically interest in them if user acceptance would be sufficient. So I will talk to him about my next major release when it's finished.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm still not sure what I should do about the icons. StickyNomad's icons look really nice, but the previous poll indicated that people want an icon competition. Since this could cause legal problems, I'm thinking about a cometition with only some invited designers. I have already gathered a few addresses. I could ask them to design, say, 2 important icons for a certain fee, and these would then be shown on my site so people could vote for the preferred designer. This designer could then create all the other icons too. What do you think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm still not sure what I should do about the icons.
I think it would be nice at once to pack StickyNomads Icons into the Package, (maybe with an installer). So it would be easy for a new user to install the new iconset without to have to download them and struggle through install-instructions.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
StickyNomad's icons look really nice, but the previous poll indicated that people want an icon competition.
Thanks for the commendation. IIRC the poll referred to an older "Win2k style" release of my icons, not the actual release. The votings so far in this poll don't seem to bad for my icons :)

So I'd say let's run this poll a while and see what users say. If a competition is started, I'd like to participate of course, if I was one of the 'chosen few'.

2Sheepdog
thanks for your supportive idea!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

@Christian

> I'm thinking about a cometition with only some invited designers. I have already
> gathered a few addresses. I could ask them to design, say, 2 important icons for
> a certain fee, and these would then be shown on my site so people could vote for
> the preferred designer. This designer could then create all the other icons too.
> What do you think?

This is a good approach in terms of icon quality/design and for skipping any
legal problems. My concern is that the designer should also be familiar with
TC for the additional icons we and you proposed. As of this stage StickyNomad
has proven that he can really make the transformation of a TC function into
an icon.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Mirek

Post by *Mirek »

If the icons do change, I would insist on changing the TC Pocket version icons, too (I own a smartphone)

To StickyNomad: What software do you use to create your icons?
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Mirek
What software do you use to create your icons?
For ICL managing: Iconshop

For Icon editing: IconoMaker

And with a little help of GIMP for pre-editing here and there...
MPS

Post by *MPS »

i voted:

"I didn't downloaded/I don't care" ;)

but only because there was one missing option: "No, but I downloaded"
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

no,no,niemals
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

scr_buttonbar_allcol.png file for current TC7 WCMICONS.DLL??

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, StickyNomad, hello, Christian.

Now that the wish of about 60% of the TC users has come true, I wonder if this wish could be fulfilled as well:

StickyNomad, e.g. for your vicons v2 the zip-archive included a very helpful scr_buttonbar_allcol.png showing all icons plus the functions they were meant to visualize.

Will it be possible / allowed / feasible to get such an overview file for the current WCMICONS.DLL as well?

Karl
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2karlchen
Actually there is such an overview. It's in the Wcmicons.inc file. This file is used to map the icon positions in Wcmicons.dll to the command numbers defined in Totalcmd.inc.
If you add an icon the matching icon is chosen automatically.