directory synchronization

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BKJ

directory synchronization

Post by *BKJ »

What I am looking to do is a directory synchronization by file date. I have looked all around in Total Commander but I do not see a way to set the filtering by date when using the Synchronize Directory command. I need to be able to say on this date and anything after my defined date is to be synchronized. How can I accomplish this using total commander with the least amount of effort?
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Welcome aboard!

Not as simple as you would wish probably, but here's one solution:
1. In your main window do a selective marking of files newer than your date:
1.a) Hit Gray +, on "Expand selection" dialog that appears hit "Define..."
1.b) Go to Advanced tab and check "Date between:"
1.c) Input your date in first field and delete the second
1.d) "Save" this search with a name, select this name in the "Expand selection" dialog and click "OK"
2. Bring up "Synchronize directories" dialog, notice that the check "Only selected (in main window)" is already checked - this is how you want it
3. Hit "Compare" -> you are synchronizing only the files that are newer than (or equal!) with the date you entered

Hope this helps.
BKJ

Post by *BKJ »

Unfortunately not all of the files reside in one folder. I have a folder called LSRIF and then under this folder are many folders that represent each server by name. It is under these folders that the files I am trying to synchronize reside in. Using your method I would have to go inside each folder and select the files, and then hit num+ to get to my defined filters. Am I missing something? Thanks for help in advance.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I don't know if this helps in this case, but:

If you press [Ctrl]+ you will see all files in a folder and all it's subfolders at once, while no folder information is shown.

You can search the matching files here, and maybe the synchronisation works onthis selection. But please try it out, because with Synch Dir I'm not that familiar.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
szlori

Post by *szlori »

No, unfortunately, I don't think it can work for subdirectories.

Another thing I thought would be useful for this (it's a wish only) is to be able to sort the Synch Dirs result list by different columns.
This way I could sort it based on the file date column and simply remove the selection for all files older than the date if it's in the list. Selecting those files should be simple once the list is sorted by date.
Sorting could be done as in TC's file panes clicking on the column header.
BKJ

Post by *BKJ »

szlori,

I was thinking the same thing. An even simpler approach is to just have the ability to apply filters at the synchronize directory window. I don't think that would be to hard of a task. I have found another application which can do this already. It is made by HeatSoft and its called ADCS. It is no comparison to Total Commander though. Total Commander is by far a better product. Hopefully the Total Commander team will see these posts and enable this task. In addition, is there a particular windows tweak to that one can apply to use the big file cache, like total commander does. This cuts my copying time of large files down tremendously.
bobputnam

Post by *bobputnam »

If this is something you do on a regular basis, consider using xxcopy.
Bob P
3-User License 71012