Browsing network drives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tappeto

Browsing network drives

Post by *tappeto »

I installed Total Commander with XP sp1 and now when i try to browsing my network folders on my others 2 pc (one with win 2000 and another with NT4) TC stop responding for alot of time and only after one minute or more appears the network folders that i have required.
If i try to browse my network place using the xp's explorer it work good.
Do u know what may be the probs?
Thanks in adv.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

I've got similar effect on WinNT. I mean, browsing the network is quick, but when try to get to any compter in the network to see its shares it lasts really long. All the other computers in my network work under Win98. While I try to get to linux computer in the same network - there is no problem, it's very quick.
Browsing the same network from Win98 there is no problem I can quickly browse the shares.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Are you accessing the network drives directly by available mapped drives or via the network neighborhood icon of TC? It’s strange that TC behaves slower than Explorer as it is usually faster (and not only for accessing network elements). Unless there is a compatibility problem or a slow-down due to network conversations by TC since there is a variety of OSs in use! For that Christian’s opinion would be more welcome!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
tappeto

Post by *tappeto »

pdavit wrote:Are you accessing the network drives directly by available mapped drives or via the network neighborhood icon of TC? It’s strange that TC behaves slower than Explorer as it is usually faster (and not only for accessing network elements). Unless there is a compatibility problem or a slow-down due to network conversations by TC since there is a variety of OSs in use! For that Christian’s opinion would be more welcome!
I access the network drives via the network icon on TC.
I have also TC installed on the win2000 pc and on it the browsing is fast, so the probs is only with XP, may be as u say the variety of OSs in use on my network.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

While accessing to shares mapped as drives - there is no problem, it's quick. Using network neighborhood icon - slow (as I 've written before - only browsing form WinNT, from Win98 it's ok)
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Is it fast in Explorer? Then you may try the following switch in wincmd.ini under [Configuration]:
UseShellConnect=1

This will use a hidden "Shell folder" to make the connection instead of calling the connection function directly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tappeto

Post by *tappeto »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Is it fast in Explorer? Then you may try the following switch in wincmd.ini under [Configuration]:
UseShellConnect=1

This will use a hidden "Shell folder" to make the connection instead of calling the connection function directly.
I have discovered the problems....is the last version of Norton Client Firewall with intrusion detection signature.
One of these (i haven't indentified yet what) cause a long time to browsing network resources. Naturally i have put my ip network address on the trusted zone of firewall but for some reasons that i don't know don't work good with TC instead with xp eplorer works regulary.
Now i'll try to discover what is the signature that cause this probs and if i'll found it i'll tell to comunity.
In the meanwhile if someone (Ghisler particularly) has some ideas can tell me about.
Tnx for your support.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Is it fast in Explorer? Then you may try the following switch in wincmd.ini under [Configuration]:
UseShellConnect=1

Unfortunately - it doesn't help :-(

2tappeto
I don't use Norton Firewall, I use build-in Panda Platinium firewall but even it is off - the problem exists. :-(
My friends use Panda on Win98 in the same network and they can browse the shares quickly :-(
DJK
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I think this problem is endemic with Windows XP. In my experience, if the share is mapped to a drive letter, then most open/save dialogs in most applications can navigate to them quickly. If the shares are not mapped, it takes the Windows dialogs (and Explorer, too!) a VERY long time to read the folders. I have intercepted numerous complaints from users about this.

I can't speak for NT or Win2K.

This suggests to me that the problem is with Windows XP itself, not TotalCommander.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
tappeto

Post by *tappeto »

JohnFredC wrote:I think this problem is endemic with Windows XP. In my experience, if the share is mapped to a drive letter, then most open/save dialogs in most applications can navigate to them quickly. If the shares are not mapped, it takes the Windows dialogs (and Explorer, too!) a VERY long time to read the folders. I have intercepted numerous complaints from users about this.

I can't speak for NT or Win2K.

This suggests to me that the problem is with Windows XP itself, not TotalCommander.
Surely Windows XP has this type of problems because by default when setting a network connection it don't install "netbios over tcp" so usual UNC connections (\\server-name\shared-resource-pathname) don't work.
So if u want navigate quickly u have to set on network properties this flag "netbios over tcp".
In my configuration the problems is the firewall that block some netbios connection so now i have to find what is, because if i disable the firewall on the pc where i try to navigate TC works quickly as XP Explorer.
Spaghettificus

Post by *Spaghettificus »

UseShellConnect=1
I heard on the internet, that sharing is sorta old. but read for yourself -> http://www.linux-mag.com/1999-09/samba_04.html

windows sharing is really SMB. This stand for Server Message Block. I'm not surprised that someone says that Linux hosts are faster.

Remember, the workgroup (SMB) is ad hoc for non-NT boxes.
mietde

Post by *mietde »

UseShellConnect=1

Had some maaped drives and it took a second or so for the listings to show up.

Now it's as fast as the regular drives 8)

btw, awesome tool :!: