cvs on command line

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alinstef

cvs on command line

Post by *alinstef »

Hi,

I installed cvsnt and I wanted to use its cvs.exe (added to PATH) with update/commit/etc on command line (like I use to do in Unix).

One solution is to move to the directory I want to, say, commit, run DOS and then type e.g. "cvs commit" (there exists a CVS subdirectory created by WinCVS in the current directory!).

Is there a simpler solution like directly typing "cvs commit" in the command line of TC and then a DOS shell asking for the password to pop up? If I simply type "cvs" in the command line of TC, I get an Windows Explorer opening the CVS subdirectory...

Thanking you in advance,
Alin
MayorA

Post by *MayorA »

Hi Alin

you can directly use:

[face=courier]cmd /c cvs ....[/face]

which executes cvs in a new command shell and closing it after cvs comes back, or:

[face=courier]cmd /k cvs ...[/face]

which will not close the command shell.

By the way: You might be interested in the new version of plugin CVSBrowser 1.1.0.

Regards
Alex
CVSBrowser WFX Plugin Author
alinstef

Post by *alinstef »

Thank you, Alex, for the tip!

Searching for CVS & TC, I also stumbled upon your CVSBrowser (however, you do not allow for instance commiting a repository, isn't it?)

In the meanwhile I found yet another solution to my problem be typing "cvs.exe" instead of simply "cvs" (...I recently had to switch to Windows from Linux and I am still not used adding ".exe" to program names).

Alin
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

You don't have to add ".exe". The problem is that if there is a directory named "CVS" somewhere in the system path, windows thinks you want to open it in explorer. So either rename the dir, or the filename, or change the system PATH variable, or create a small batch file that will call cvs.exe when executed... (I am sure there are more workarounds :))

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
denishowe

Re: cvs on command line

Post by *denishowe »

Have you looked at Tortoise CVS? IIRC it adds CVS commands to a context menu, which might be good for TC use.
ado

Post by *ado »

Hacker wrote:The problem is that if there is a directory named "CVS" somewhere in the system path
it is not somewhere ... it is in each cvs controlled directory. Is it hidden directory and CVS store there metainfo about files.
Anyway, batch file solution should be fine and Tortoise CVS is good as well.
And just add 2 more possible solutions for alinstef. You can define buttons on button bar (I am using it with ClearCase for CheckOut/In/Undo) or define entry in start menu with your actions and access them with shortcuts (if you do not like mouse)

ado
alinstef

Post by *alinstef »

Thank you, guys, for the (more than sufficient and timely) tips!

Alin