T.C. Can't find my CD-RW

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Patriot

T.C. Can't find my CD-RW

Post by *Patriot »

Total Commander can't find my CD-RW
It just says "Error! Drive Not Found" everytime.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Total Commander can't find my CD-RW
It just says "Error! Drive Not Found" everytime.
In such situations it's customary to supply some system info:
windows version:
can windows read it:
do you have other cd-rw's that TC can read:
are you sure the CD is in the drive:

Cheers.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

My OS is Windows XP

My Totoal Commander used to work very welll.
Now any disc I put into my RD-ROM Total Commander will read.

But any and all discs I put in my CD-RW drive Total Commander now says "Error ! Drive not found."

My Windows XP and Nero Burning software can still read all discs I put into my CD-RW drive.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Sorry for the typographical error. I meant to say.

Total Commander reads any disc I but in my CD-ROM, but it can'd find my CD-RW drive.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

It seems like drivers/cd-rw recognition problem, has this drive ever worked with TC? Does your system recognize the drive, did you have problems with it? I'm 99.9% certain this problem has nothing to do with TC, but rather your system configuration; If I had to bet I'll wager on drive-drivers problem.

Cheers.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Thanks for the advice. Total Commander worked very well when I first installed it. I tried deleting and reinstalling Total Commander but it still can't find my CD-RW. My Nero Burning and my Windows XP CD writer software still recognizes my CD-RW Drive but Total Commander can't.
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Excellent question norfie! My CD-Writer drive only had a blank disc in it.
After I got your question I put a small text file in the CD-Writer cache (waiting to be written) and now my Total Commander is working again! It recognizes my CD-RW now even with a blank disc and a disc with files on it even after I deleted the file waiting to be written. Thanks for the help. I guess it was a glitch and having data in the CD-RW cache stopped the glitch.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

TC or your winXP shouldn't recognize a drive with a blank disk in it because it doesn't have TOC (table of contents). Nero should because it's a burning software, perhaps XP does because M$ put inside burning components if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers.
Last edited by JackFoo on 2003-05-04, 19:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Now it really has me confused.
Now when I put a blank disk in my CD-R drive my Totlal Commander can find the drive and shows the files on the CD, but when I insert a blank CD Total Commander can't find the drive. The problem seemed to start after I used a program called IN CD to format a re-writeable CD to use like a large floppy disc. I wrote some files to the CD re-witeable disc then took it out and put in a regular blank CD and Total Commander could not find the drive.
I still think Total Commander is and excellent tool, I must have a software conflict somewhere. :?:
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Sorry, I meant to say Total Commander can find my CD-R drive when I insert a CD with files on it but Total Commander can not find the drive at all when I insert a blank disc. :oops:
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

As I wrote in the previous post, when the TOC of the CD is empty as is the case with a blank cd/cd-rw TC will not find it; It's like trying to read an inexistent floppy, the OS complains that no disk is in the drive. The same is with blank CD's, once the CD isn't blank anymore like in the case of a CD-RW (after you put some data on it for the first time) TC will read it. Even after you delete all data from the CD-RW it's not blank anymore (unless all of the TOC was removed). In short a CD or even CD-RW isn't a floppy and you can't use it as such (not as transparently anyways). So your drive is ok, what's not ok is you trying to read blank CD's.

Cheers.
Patriot

Post by *Patriot »

Thank you for the advice JackFoo. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It depends on the error returned by the driver. Apparently In-CD returns 'no disk inserted' when the disk is empty, while the normal CD-Driver returns 'no more files found'.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pastone

Post by *pastone »

With Windows XP, one needs the latest version of Nero's INCD (part of Nero 5.5), in order to format, read and write a CDRW disc.

You can get the latest INCD from the Nero site. If you have a legitimate Nero installed, the latest INCD will install ok (without paying for an upgrade).

If the CDRW disc is formatted with a suitable INCD, Total Commander will have no problems.

Regards,
Peter Stone