English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

2 petermad
You read them all in few hours? Wow!

I know. U must be a Jedy.

2 icfu
... ignoring feature requests most of the time or staying quiet about future developments to not give the other file manager developers an advantage.
What advantage ? It doesn't happen that way... Jeff. You don't heave to be genious to find out what goodies should be implemented by good file manager.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I had to restrict my visits to the forum to twice a week, because I was spending more time with support than with actual development! The problem with the forum is that once I have logged in, I have to read and reply to ALL new threads, because once I leave it, the new threads are marked as read! This makes it impossible to sporadically have a look here. :(

About bug reports and suggestions: Be assured that I do read them all, and put them in my bug reports/suggestions folders. Bugs will be corrected if ever possible, except if I really cannot reproduce them, or when I can't do anything about them. Suggestions will be added if they are sufficiently popular, AND fit into the concept of the program.

Development of stable functions takes a LOT of work and time, therefore it's better to implement less, but well. I also have to judge between the usefulness of a new function, and the amount of work required to implement it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
The problem with the forum is that once I have logged in, I have to read and reply to ALL new threads, because once I leave it, the new threads are marked as read! This makes it impossible to sporadically have a look here.
This has also been a problem for me, but as we have RSS feeds, it is solved. With RSS you always know when a new thread (or post) is created and can respond without losing the knowledge of which other threads are new.

Roman
Last edited by Hacker on 2005-12-29, 16:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

how can you respond to a thread with RSS? Which RSS reader supports this? This would be really nice!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
No, you respond in the forum itself, but don't have to worry about losing the marking of new threads anymore, as they are still marked as unread in your RSS reader.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

BTW: I recommend NewzCrawler, because it is only reader I know that sorts posts from forums into according threads (it creates a tree-like structure).

Roman
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I do read the RSS with Thunderbird Email. There it is also possible to sort post in the thread structure.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
JP

Post by *JP »

Sheepdog wrote:I do read the RSS with Thunderbird Email. There it is also possible to sort post in the thread structure.

sheepdog
And how can I do that? Could you pls give a tip?

Thanks.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

JP wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:I do read the RSS with Thunderbird Email. There it is also possible to sort post in the thread structure.

sheepdog
And how can I do that? Could you pls give a tip?

Thanks.
In Thunderbird Menu: Datei->Neu->Konto:RSS News and Blogs (probably File->New->Account:Rss News and Blogs)
Opens the Wizard. The Address for all new threads is http://www.ghisler.ch/board/rss.php.

This will create a new account with the RSS feed. If you open a post the preview windows displays the site you see otherwise in your browser.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Lesmo16 wrote:Daily! The author of xnView is every day in his forum.
I applaud his dedication, but with respect, I don't think xnView is in quite the same league as TC. With multiple packages to research, develop and support (Pocket PC, Smartphones, thumbdrives, etc) I'm rather amazed that Ghisler still has any time left to look at all the forums and in several languages too.
Sheepdog wrote:That would need a moderator staff to maintain this board.......
Yes, quite right, someone always has to do the clearing-up after the guests have left. In any case, voting, polls, referenda, etc., are a pretty flawed process just as they are in real life unless made compulsory. You'll always end up with a skewed result simply because the people who feel passionately about a topic will rush to participate while the silent majority who are less committed will likely not bother. Sheer human inertia, as always.:roll:

Not being shareholders in TC Corp, the best we can do is a maintain a simple wish-list of desirable features which the author may or may not implement at his convenience. All smart businessmen know that they must pay close attention to their paying customers or suffer the consequences. The question is: who is TC's main audience? Is it enthusiasts, IT geeks, business corporations? For all I know, the majority of users might be a bunch of little old ladies smiling away as the forum members beat one another up. They will be the ones whose needs drive future developments, not the power users, if you get my drift. :(
majkinetor wrote: I know you like me. No need to emphasize that
I do hope you took my light-hearted remark with the good humour I intended! :wink: . Believe it or not, I bear you absolutely no ill-will whatsoever and do follow what you're saying here. Of late, I notice that you seem to have mellowed somewhat and no longer shoot as wildly from the hip as you used to in the beginning - that's great, now you'll be taken more seriously. I actually think some of your outrageous remarks are good for the community as it tends to shake up the status quo. :D . So there.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What advantage ? It doesn't happen that way... Jeff.
This is ghisler's point of view, not mine.

Reality is that all of the other "big file manager"-developers give a s h i t about most developments of TC.
You don't heave to be genious to find out what goodies should be implemented by good file manager.
Regarding that there is no good file manager till now but just a few that are not bad I think that you have to be a genius. The problem is that all developers think that they are doing it right but in fact not one of them does.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

2Ghisler
Ok, it is good to know that you try to read them all, at least.

2 icfu
Regarding that there is no ... you have to be a genius.
...hmm..... you may be right here.

2 SQUIRE
I actually think some of your outrageous remarks are good for the community as it tends to shake up the status quo.
....well well, .......... who would say.... :o

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, it is good to know that you try to read them all, at least.
I'm not only trying to read all threads, I do read all of them - every time I visit the forums, I middle click on all "new message" arrows to open them as new tabs. Then I read them all, and reply to those I find necessary to reply to, e.g. when other users couldn't help, or when there was no reply.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
Did you try to use the RSS reader as I suggested? I mean - read the threads in the reader where you can read any thread at any time and the others won't lose their marking as "unread" and answering the threads you choose in the reader through the forum?

Roman
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

I tried.

I use Opera's RSS and I also tried the one U mentioned.
It is a good thing if you want to follow closely what's going on.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com