[OT] Wondering.... russian brothers !

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor

[OT] Wondering.... russian brothers !

Post by *majkinetor »

.. Serbians call them brothers, at least !

Well, you may already know that 95% of the sw in Russia is pirated. Before 20, 30 years or so, even the goverment was involved in that, printing scientific books without aproval. While I was studing, I could find every possible scientific book accessible. Today, we have similar situation on software field.

And then.. most of the extra stuff for TC are done by Russians (plugins, forums, just name it...).

Would this be this way if no warez was/is present in Russia ?

No, if you ask me.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

if i have an idea, if i feel inspired, if i have possibility, if my soul aches for it - i'll do my best to make it true. even for free.
whithout pirates where could i be now? lying overintoxicated somewhere in the dirt? my job brings me about 200$ per month. it's not bad. i can live and help my parents. i don't mean pirates are the universe heroes, but they give so many people a base, a starting point, a chance for a normal life, not a survival.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The problem is that world prices on software are too high for Russian level of salaries and prices on other goods. That's why there are so many pirated programs here: people want to use sw but cannot afford to pay so high prices for them. I think, the situation is very similar in Serbia.

And of course, the number of programmers and the level of piracy are deeply connected. Let's take for example MS Visual Studio. How many people could buy it at a cost of $1500 if their salary is about $150-200/month? (I don't take Moscow - it has its own level of prices and salaries.) Or Delphi for at least $1000 Pro version and $3500 Enterprise? Of course, there are some free programming tools are present, but they are mostly inconvenient in use. Most programmers work just for pleasure, and with such poor tool there is no pleasure at all... :(

Pirated version of the high-quality IDEs allows many young programmers (pupils and students) to try themselves in creating their own programs, which they could never create without such IDEs.

Luckily, this situation begins to change. More and more products appear in Russia with special regional prices that are much more suitable for us. Also many Russian programmers understand this situation and make their products free for Russians and shareware for other users.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Flint wrote:Or Delphi for at least $1000 Pro version and $3500 Enterprise?
There is (was) a free version of Delphi, fortunately.

But yes, market-dependent prices would be nice in general. I liked the idea of one software developer who sold his program for "50 units of your currency". :)

The problem with market-dependent prices would however be the same as is now with eg iTunes in the US and Canada. As 1 USD > 1 CAD and the songs cost 99 cents (USD or CAD), some US citizens are now trying to buy songs through Canada (because it's cheaper).

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
JP

Post by *JP »

I'm wondering if Russian and Serbian people are massively using a hacked version of TC...
Is TC very expensive for such a markets?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Do you live in the land of the free, home of the brave?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

icfu wrote:Do you live in the land of the free, home of the brave?
Taka-Tuka-Land? :P
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2JP
I'm wondering if Russian and Serbian people are massively using a hacked version of TC...
The answer is here:
Well, you may already know that 95% of the sw in Russia is pirated.
according to majkinetor :wink:
Last edited by petermad on 2006-01-14, 22:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hacker
I liked the idea of one software developer who sold his program for "50 units of your currency".
Well, I don't think that it's correct decision. One unit of currency have different cost in different countries...

JP
Well, as for me, $34 is not very large sum of money for such a great program. Some time ago (when 6.0 was coming to release) I was about to buy TC, but Ghristian gave a free license for my plugin. :)
On the other hand, I use TC constantly. It starts with my Windows via Startup and it's the last program I close before turning the computer off. Many other people use TC just occasionally, for some specific operations, and for them this program does not cost its $34.
And also there is one more group of people... Unfortunately, it's larger than one could expect. They are the ones who absolutely refuse the very idea of buying software. I heard phrases like "I'm not an idiot to buy a program; let the people with excess money buy it!" I think, it's caused by the habit that every program can be downloaded for free and then cracked.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
JP

Post by *JP »

Lefteous wrote:2JP
No they buy Total Commander regularly - using a stolen credit card! :mrgreen:
Hehe, that's what I call a nice answer... :lol: :lol: :lol:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Taka-Tuka-Land?
Is it you, Lukas? Driver of the famous locomotive. :mrgreen:
Ah wait, nope, thats' Lummerland. Sorry, Pippi. :)

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-01-14, 22:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

let me state it this way: I don't know anybody, and I mean anybody in Serbia who buy software, games, music and dvds..... I heard that there are some but not encountered anyone yet. Some say that they are dangerous species...

I am glad that Ghisler is giving free licenses for plugin developers.
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

FYI: The gross average monthly wage in Slovakia was 420 € in Q3/2005.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Purchasing power ?

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker
:) Hello Roman !

- All this info about salaries is not meaningful without indications about the corresponding purchasing power in each quoted country…

- Just for example, I get more here, but I pay a pot of honey (0.5 kg) 7.95 €, one liter of fresh milk 1.60 € (the cows may have golden horns and hooves !), a bag of tobacco for the sailor's pipe (50 g) 7.30 €, bread (0.3 Kg) 0.80 €, a bag of (good) ground coffee 4.05 € and all the rest in the same painting… :roll:

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
(relatively poor) Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

one liter of fresh milk 1.60 €
You mean in hotels? ;)
In Germany a liter of fresh milk is 0.55 € in the cheapest supermarkets, the countrymen really love that...
French people WANT to pay more for their food I think, that's why you have so strange prices over there.

Try out to bake bread yourself, it tastes much better and is much cheaper although you probably have to import the meal from Germany if you want to try something else than white bread, baguette and croissants. :mrgreen:

One good thing about prices in France: When I had seen the prices for cigarettes when I visited France last, I quit smoking when I came back because I had no money anymore. ;)

Oh, before I forget: Please send me a photo of these golden cows, in Germany they are lilac. :)

Icfu
This account is for sale